Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2010 (Monday) 03:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

35L, 135L or 70-200mm f/2.8 - who's going to be my third travel lens?

dzhuS4
32 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 10, 2010 17:03 |  #16

you will want a 70-200 for sure.... since u already have 24-105 to cover the lower range

Canon 20D
1-1000mm f/1.0 L

sponsored links
nightcat
Goldmember
4,532 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 10, 2010 19:07 |  #17

The key word is "candids". If you don't want to bring the 200mm white zoom, then the 135mm f/2 is a great choice. The longer lenses will give you more room between you and your subjects so that you won't be in anyones face and you're less likely to be noticed.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,209 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 10, 2010 19:28 as a reply to  @ post 11261050 |  #18

I would not travel anywhere without a long lens. It serves to isolate portions of scenes, allow shallow DOF portraits of people (even with an f/4 aperture) and compresses distances. I also like a zoom for travel imagery since I can crop in the camera. I seldom do very much cropping in post processing...

However, the 70-200mm f/2.8L (series) lens is big and heavy. The 70-200mm f/4L IS is considerably smaller and lighter in weight. In fact, you can carry a 70-200mm f/4L IS AND an additional 1.6x camera at the same weight as the f/2.8 models alone...

I can shoot at 1/60 second using 200mm with the f/4L IS lens and can be assured of getting sharp images. At 1/30 second, my keeper rate goes down, but is still respectable...

I traveled throughout China (which is a very safe place for tourists) with a pair of 1.6x cameras and a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS + 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. My China images are at: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

djentley
THREAD ­ STARTER
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 11, 2010 05:11 |  #19

Does the 35L distort to a large degree? I really don't like a huge amount of distortion, it's a little cheesy. I must admit from the images I have seen I am sold on the 35L.

Anyway, I want to have nice looking clear shots that can be shown at about the size here sharp and clearly - http://www.boston.com …/11/great_migra​tions.html (external link) - would the 7D/5D mkii choice make any difference?

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

Tony_A
777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 11, 2010 05:49 |  #20

I also think the 35L. But I have to agree with JelleVerherstraeten, unless this is going to be a really long trip why not rent? Have a nice trip.

Tony

www.AnthonyAgresta.com (external link)
Please 'like' my Facebook Page (external link)
7d Gripped | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | EF 24-70 f/2.8L | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | EF 100 f2.8L Macro | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 1.4X II | EF 2.0X II | 580ex II

jhoag
723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 11, 2010 07:35 |  #21

djentley wrote in post #11264244 (external link)
Does the 35L distort to a large degree? I really don't like a huge amount of distortion, it's a little cheesy. I must admit from the images I have seen I am sold on the 35L.

Anyway, I want to have nice looking clear shots that can be shown at about the size here sharp and clearly - http://www.boston.com …/11/great_migra​tions.html (external link) - would the 7D/5D mkii choice make any difference?

The 35L has very slight distortion - Very slight, and most people wouldn't even notice. If you use ACR or Lightroom, Adobe has a built in lens correction filter that takes care of it. But it is not at all obvious like the 24-105L distortion at 24 or 28mm. Using the Adobe correction for those shots makes a dramatic improvement.

As a heavy user of all three (35, 135 and 24-105) and an avid traveler, I strongly reccomend renting a 35L for more creative work, and most importantly for low-light indoor use. If you are interested in capturing the interiors of buildings, or any kind of night shots, the 35L is great.

If that is not your intention, and you are more interested in candid and discreet street photography of people, then the 135L is a must.

JH

Smugmug (external link) : Gear List

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,882 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 11, 2010 09:24 |  #22

RPCrowe wrote in post #11262114 (external link)
I It serves to isolate portions of scenes, allow shallow DOF portraits of people (even with an f/4 aperture) and compresses distances.

while I completely agree from an academic standpoint, pragmatically speaking, this is usually not the case when shooting candids from a distance since your subject is so far from you and likely much closer to some type of background. Even faster apertures won't cure this problem, its simply a matter of distances. That said, if the OP chooses longer glass, it just becomes very important to consider subject to background distances when shooting in order to take advantage of what longer glass can do. What I find is that even with longer glass, I wind up close to my subject (to create the isolation the longer glass can provide) and this can sometimes make a subject uneasy. Being close with smaller lenses does not seem to have that effect. Bear in mind, I am a huge fan of long glass (I'm a sports shooter mainly so most of my work is done with tele lenses). I just think its important to point out the reality of shooting with these lenses since they can be expensive and heavier to carry around.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

djentley
THREAD ­ STARTER
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 11, 2010 09:31 |  #23

Tony_A wrote in post #11264308 (external link)
I also think the 35L. But I have to agree with JelleVerherstraeten, unless this is going to be a really long trip why not rent? Have a nice trip.

Tony

Because it's going to be a really long trip. :p

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 11, 2010 10:55 |  #24

for portraits: 35 and 85
for candit shots: 135 or 200
for architecture, landscape and general shots: 16-35 or 17-40

as for me, i bring all my lenses with me on my trips. During the day, i walk around busy streets with 16-35 alone, sometimes the 70-200 2.8IS ii all by itself if i plan to take portraits of my friends only. Night time, i bring 35L + 85L.

Hope that helps a little.

Have a great trip.

hhuy

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 11, 2010 12:19 |  #25

35L. That's all that you need. My girlfriend grabbed the 24L and 50 1.4 w/ a 7d for her trip to hong kong. She loves her kit! For me, I'd travel with only the 24L and the 35L - these two lenses are reliable in af, and produce amazing high iq with great OOF bits. :)

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

dengar
987 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 12, 2010 13:44 |  #26

I would use just the 24-105 for general purpose and the 35L for low light

sponsored links

2,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
35L, 135L or 70-200mm f/2.8 - who's going to be my third travel lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.