Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion People 
Thread started 09 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 02:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Play with off camera Flash - Jess

chen5108
79 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 09, 2010 02:07 |  #1

Would love to get come feedback on composition and lighting.
All 3 shots were with a single 430ex camera left shot though umbrella.

50mm 1.4 @ F/5

IMAGE: http://www.brianschen.com/temp1/Jess-01s.jpg

35L @ F/4-4.5
IMAGE: http://www.brianschen.com/temp1/Jess-05s.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.brianschen.com/temp1/Jess-08s.jpg

www.brianschen.com (external link)

Canon 5dmkII | Canon 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MkII | EF 35mm f/1.4L | 430EX | 580EX II

gregr2
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 09, 2010 09:44 |  #2

They look a bit over saturated to me. You also cut off the top of her head and hand in the first one. The backgrounds seem a bit dark, it seems you may have too much black in these. Beautiful model and love the pose in the second one.

Flickr (external link)
Sony A6500

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,803 posts
Gallery: 512 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 09, 2010 09:46 |  #3

I agree the lighting isnt bad, but the post is a bit over the top.

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 09, 2010 12:02 |  #4

The photos are nice. I would have tried pulling the light back a bit, so that the background was a little brighter and the light was softer on the model. On the second one the light hand on the tree branch is brighter than her face is, and I would use a selective coloring brush in lightroom to darken that up a little. I like the pose variety, and your model is beautiful.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,803 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 09, 2010 12:06 |  #5

isophotostudio wrote in post #11253367 (external link)
The photos are nice. I would have tried pulling the light back a bit, so that the background was a little brighter and the light was softer on the model. On the second one the light hand on the tree branch is brighter than her face is, and I would use a selective coloring brush in lightroom to darken that up a little. I like the pose variety, and your model is beautiful.

Moving the light back might make the light less bright, but not softer.

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 09, 2010 12:31 |  #6

When shooting through an umbrella though, pulling the light back should create more fall off around the edges,yes? Plus you'd be letting more natural light in, in order to get a similar exposure which would create less contrast between the background and the model, again softening the appearance of the light.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,803 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 09, 2010 13:27 |  #7

isophotostudio wrote in post #11253552 (external link)
When shooting through an umbrella though, pulling the light back should create more fall off around the edges,yes? Plus you'd be letting more natural light in, in order to get a similar exposure which would create less contrast between the background and the model, again softening the appearance of the light.

Size of the light source and proximity to the subject are the primary determining factors of softness. So moving it backwards doesnt make it softer. Feathering is a different matter. But if you want to change the ratio of the ambient light on the background and the subject thats better achieved by adjusting the shutter speed of the camera or the power of the lights.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

2,112 views & 0 likes for this thread, 4 members have posted to it.
Play with off camera Flash - Jess
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.