Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 19:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what is the cause of these printing marks ?

Jay ­ T
463 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 09, 2010 19:53 |  #1

This is closeup of 24'' print from canon ipf 6100 printed on hahnemuhle fine art pearl. the marks run down in 3 places on a photo always in the same part of paper.Just got the printer. printed a total of 6 pics, 3 with canon paper and no marks, 3 with hahnemuhle and 2 out of 3 with marks. Canon support was not much help. they basically want me to keep trying different things till I run out of paper and ink.
They say hard to tell when its not a canon paper. Has anyone seen this before and knows how to fix it also what are these marks called? Pleasehelp

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

sponsored links
RainerM
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 09, 2010 20:43 |  #2

how does the printer moves the paper? Does he use rollers? But then i would think the marks should be straight .
Is this paper thicker than the canon paper?
On my Epson I can set the “gap” for thicker paper, maybe that’s something you can adjust too.

Or it is already on the paper? Did you check the paper before you print.

Rainer

Canon 10D: 5Dmark2: 7D: 24-105L IS: 70-200 2.8 L IS: 16-35 L II:
some other usefull things.
Here is what the general public says about me!!
"Rainer? This fool tries since over 25 years to catch the light with a ca(n)non!!!"

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 09, 2010 21:07 |  #3

rainer, its not on the paper.it must use rollers of some type. the marks are straight down the paper they just start out narrow get wider gradually and then narrow off to nothing. the paper is thicker than the canonbut I have it set in printer driver to what hahnemulhe says which is HW semi-gloss photo paper 2. How do you set the gap in yours ? Is it the carrige adjustment or vacume adjustment cause canon suggested to try them. also from what I understood from the canon support tech was that setting the media type in priter driver sets the gap or am I wrong

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

RainerM
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 09, 2010 22:58 as a reply to  @ Jay T's post |  #4

For my Epson 4880 it is in the printer driver settings
In the paper section or in the customs settings.
Depending on the paper type the gap is set but I can also change this setting to be more wide or more narrow.
I am not sure where to set it on a canon but I guess it is in the printer driver settings as well were you set the paper type and so on.

On my Epson it is called platen gap.

Hope this helps

Rainer

Canon 10D: 5Dmark2: 7D: 24-105L IS: 70-200 2.8 L IS: 16-35 L II:
some other usefull things.
Here is what the general public says about me!!
"Rainer? This fool tries since over 25 years to catch the light with a ca(n)non!!!"

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 10, 2010 10:09 |  #5

Is the paper flat? If not it might be the print head touching the paper on each pass. Some of the Hahnemuele papers are very thick, which could agrevate the problem.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,660 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2010 20:03 |  #6

Looks like the printhead/carriage is contacting the paper in the center.

I have no experience with the mentioned paper or printer, but I
have serviced many inkjet printers over the years, and I have seen this before.
Most likely, something is causing the paper to not be flat, causing it
to bulge up during printing, in turn causing the printhead carriage
to contact the paper during the print process.

Try checking the suggestions already given, as well as ensuring humidity
levels are not so high as to cause the paper to swell.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 11, 2010 05:19 |  #7

Try this: http://www.largeformat​photography.info …thread.php?t=32​504&page=2 (external link)

Maximum paper thickness is 1.5 mm according to Google.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 11, 2010 07:17 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #8

talked to canon tech again, he said to change paper type in printer menu from hw semigloss photo paper to polised rag because the polised rag is a thicker paper, 300gsm, 15 mil which is close to hm fine art pearl. And to set vacume to highest. I did both and it is still showing up but only in one place and not three like before. I guess my next move which he said to try is adjust the print head from auto to high

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 11, 2010 07:44 |  #9

Vacume? As in Vacuuming the carpets? Thats clever. On both my Epsons the platen gap could be adjusted seperately to any profile setting but if the paper is not totally flat then it is/was doomed.

But its taught me to be very careful how I store the paper, which has to be a good thing.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 11, 2010 16:42 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #10

yes vacume, it holds the paper down and has like 5 setting

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 13, 2010 19:08 |  #11

I seen this on my canon printer. This marks are made by the rollers. This happens when ink dont dry fast enough.
I know this because I when i use the HP premium paper, the ink dont get absorbed fast enough. the roller will pickup the wet ink off the paper. I didnt have this problem with HP glossy paper. only with premium paper. I switch papers and it was fine.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 13, 2010 19:25 |  #12

czynot wrote in post #11279150 (external link)
I seen this on my canon printer. This marks are made by the rollers. This happens when ink dont dry fast enough.
I know this because I when i use the HP premium paper, the ink dont get absorbed fast enough. the roller will pickup the wet ink off the paper. I didnt have this problem with HP glossy paper. only with premium paper. I switch papers and it was fine.

Ouch! Yeah, I'd stay away from papers that are not profiled for use with your printer, for sure, or at least have some statement of support from the paper vendors. Of course, you can strike it lucky, pick up a packet of off-brand photo paper, set your print driver to a generic photo paper setting, and hope for the best, but I've seen a lot of garbage results from that kinkd of approach.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,660 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 14, 2010 00:59 |  #13

This doesn't make a lot of sense, really, as inkjet printers use incredibly thin and star-cut roller offsets to ensure that the paper never contacts the rubber transport rollers within the handling scheme of the paper-transport mechanism before it's delivered as a final print. These star-cut offsets are in place to ensure that already-printed material does not have to come in contact with the outfeed mechanisims of any given printer, and are normally found in the outfeed mechanism as a part of the printing process which relies on an already printed and dried portion of the page.

Check the vacuum of the platen, as already suggested, adjust the printhead height, as also already suggested, double-check the paper thickness and adjust accordingly, as suggested, and look into paper thicknesses and ambient humidity levels. Humidity can easily swell any given paper, turning it into a curling or misshapen bit of a problematic thing.

Outfeed rollers will completely smear and smudge prints, but they will not produce the patterned results already shown. Only a printhead carriage making contact with the paper will produce the results already shown, unless there's another serious malfunction with the printer's paper handling.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2010 11:21 |  #14

Of course that would happen with HP Premium paper! That paper was designed for specific HP ink in older generation HP printers like my own HP 8750. It's extremely slow drying.

But my question is, why in the world are you trying to use HP paper in a Canon printer? You wouldn't have a profile for it unless you had one made.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2010 21:59 |  #15

I was given box of HP premium papers than HP Advance papers. It was free so why not use it.
The Premium do not absorbe the ink and was picking up by the rollers, But the HP advance work fine. No problem. HP premium paper sucks with Epson ink.
Ofcouse I needed to do some calibrating to match the printer and the paper. The prints came out fine on HP advance paper.
I am not saying JayT is using the wrong paper. I think the problem I see with JayT post is similar (roller picking up the wet ink off the paper). I could be wrong but try use Epson paper and see what happens.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

sponsored links

2,764 views & 0 likes for this thread
what is the cause of these printing marks ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.