Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 15:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200mm 2.8 (No IS) is it sharp? (vs MKII)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2010 15:13 |  #1

Im just asking as I used to have this lens sometime back and sold it. Logic says that it is sharper than the new MKII as it has less glass. But is that the case? A lot of people are after the MKII and what have you for the IS.

I just want to know if someone can help me out here - I dont need the IS version, and would like to know if the "old" design of the 70-200 2.8 is as sharp as the modern 2.8 mkII IS.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 10, 2010 15:31 |  #2

Out of all 70-200L versions, my opinion is that the 70-200L II is as sharp as 70-200L f/4 IS or even sharper. And IMO, 70-200L f/4 IS is sharper than 70-200L f/2.8.

In your case, if you need the f/2.8 but absolutely don't need IS, I think you have to ask yourself, is the marginal improvement in sharpness and contrast between 70-200L f/2.8 vs. 70-200L II alone justify $1000+ in price.

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,893 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 10, 2010 15:39 |  #3

My reply from the other thread where you asked the same question;

zincozinco wrote in post #11260679 (external link)
how dose the MKII fare against the "old" 70-200 2.8 without IS - logic says that less glass - sharper the image?

Logic does not account for all the advances in glass technology in the last decade.
The new lens is clearly sharper and better in pretty much every regard. This has been the trend this decade,. Canon and others are not replacing their top shelf lenses just to put a "II" on them,. they do it when the technology and advancements are such that they can make a solidly superior optic.

It was true that the Non IS was sharper then the IS version I.. but ten years later Canon have trumped the Non IS versions with both the f/2.8L IS II and the f/4L IS.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 10, 2010 15:55 |  #4

As an owner of an f2.8 non-IS, yes, the MK II is sharper from the samples I've seen. I think my lens is pretty amazing on its own, but that extra $600-$700 (?) for the IS buys tangible benefits beyond just f-stops through IS. The non-IS is a 1995 design, and it's held its usefulness well to 2010, but things have improved.

I'm appreciative of the value in my non-IS though. It's not holding me back.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2010 16:12 |  #5

thanks a million guys!! Im not sure either - just that im stomped by the sharpness of the 200 2.8 MK2 and the 135mm 2.0 and people are comparing the new zoom to them and my old 70-200 was never that sharp...

Im thinking of getting the "old design" and loose the 135 rather than loosing the 85 and the 135 for the v2?? this is the dilemma...

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2010 16:37 |  #6

thing is also where i have seen marginal differences of the mk1 and mk2 and since the non IS is sharper than mk1 it has to be VERY marginal to the v2...

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2010 17:02 |  #7

zincozinco wrote in post #11261054 (external link)
thanks a million guys!! Im not sure either - just that im stomped by the sharpness of the 200 2.8 MK2 and the 135mm 2.0 and people are comparing the new zoom to them and my old 70-200 was never that sharp...

I'd put my money on the primes still giving nicer looking images, primarily due to nicer bokeh. Don't get too hung up on small differences in sharpness unless you've got extreme uses and/or print sizes.

sponsored links

1,279 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200mm 2.8 (No IS) is it sharp? (vs MKII)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.