Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

dpreview.com 60D indepth review

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 11, 2010 06:14 |  #16

I've only read the review summary, but twice they mention - "Sadly the contrast detection autofocus is still slow enough to reduce the usefulness of the articulated screen for handheld stills shooting". Does the 60D not have the 'Quick Mode' AF that the 7D has?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 11, 2010 06:29 |  #17

hollis_f wrote in post #11264355 (external link)
I've only read the review summary, but twice they mention - "Sadly the contrast detection autofocus is still slow enough to reduce the usefulness of the articulated screen for handheld stills shooting". Does the 60D not have the 'Quick Mode' AF that the 7D has?

Yes it does, but of course it blacks out the display. I suppose they have in mind a situation where you're trying to capture some action using live view.

Mark

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 11, 2010 07:06 |  #18

MintMark wrote in post #11264389 (external link)
Yes it does, but of course it blacks out the display. I suppose they have in mind a situation where you're trying to capture some action using live view.

Yeah, but it blacks out the display when you use it normally, looking through the vewfinder, and I've not seen them complain about that.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

omer
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 11, 2010 07:37 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #19

nice review
despite some early criticism canon has a winner and a sensible crop product line
1000D , 550D, 60D, 7D

with a clear positioning for each body

well if you had a 50D before, the upgrade may be to the more expensive 7d - but from a marketing stand point they made the right move

R6 | 80D | 7D | M6 |RF24-105 STM|RF35 1.8| EF-S 15-85 |EF 70-300 L |Sig 150-600 C| Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| 270EX | 430EXII |

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
13,545 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 11, 2010 10:27 |  #20

omer wrote in post #11264579 (external link)
nice review
despite some early criticism canon has a winner....

well if you had a 50D before, the upgrade may be to the more expensive 7d - but from a marketing stand point they made the right move

I respectfully beg your pardon - but although I agree the 60D is an excellent body and performer and fills a niche - Canon really goofed up in marketing by using the name `60D`. I would say if the body of the 60D came out and it was called (just for example) the 6D - then everything would be clear - the 7D is clearly the XXD upgrade - and Oh - look! A new series that sits between rebels and the 7D!

But no - they called it the 60D - so a whole segment of people - "perceive" their beloved XXD series is demoted. To me - once I saw the 7D - I knew an upgrade "sitting above the 50D but below the 7D" would be a silly expectation. I did not expect a new enthusiest line - nor it to be called the 60D.

I think many are pissed at the name attached to that body - not the body itself - which is a logical marketing move.

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM |
Learn to love to do well, and you shall.
~ C. Poseidon

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2010 10:54 |  #21

Immaculens wrote in post #11265436 (external link)
..."perceive" their beloved XXD series is demoted....

Nail on the head there. Hence, all the denigrating about "plastic" and "super rebel". Silly if you ask me.

Tom

Riveredger
670 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 11, 2010 11:07 |  #22

I think many are pissed at the name attached to that body - not the body itself

Seriously, if you are getting pissed at the name of a camera, you may have some deeper issues worth examining! :cool:

Flickr Photostream (external link)

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 11, 2010 11:10 |  #23

I would say if the body of the 60D came out and it was called (just for example)...

6D? Heck no, no weather sealing, non-prosumer line, it doesn't belong to the single-digit club.

Give me more example how they should name it, and I'll **** and whine every single one of them.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,790 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 11, 2010 11:12 |  #24

I hate to be part of allowing yet another thread to degenerate into the same debate by participating and thus lending credence to the subject....

..... but I'd just like to ask this (no malice intended) of the 60D "Plastic downgrade" camp..

Are there really a lot of people that spend there time sidegrading camera bodies?

My impression has always been that the gear aficionados move up the ranks as they "upgrade" bodies.. and don't spend a lot of time "sidegrading" to the latest release in the same model line..

am I mistaken? what percentage of photographers bought a 20D or 30D that now shoot 40D or 50D. and that were really looking to "sidegrade" to a 60D? and were left disappointed?

My impression has always been that the VAST majority of looking to change bodies were looking to upgrade, from a 30D/50D to a 5D, 1D or now have the option of the more affordable 7D.
...that the "next 50D" would have always been marketed to grab the rebel upgraders,. and not the very few happy 50D shooters looking to just get the next model.

With the exception perhaps of the 1D and 1Ds series where one has arguably already hit the end of the road until the next model comes along, I just can;t see this as being a very common tactic.

I realize there are people that trade in there 2007 Corolla for the 2009 model,. but I just did not realize this market was strong in the camera world.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 11, 2010 11:20 |  #25

Does it matter if it's plastic or not ?. It's a solid camera, I hammer your head with it..you'll be screaming like a girl :lol:.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2010 11:46 |  #26

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #11265695 (external link)
...what percentage of photographers bought a 20D or 30D that now shoot 40D or 50D....

I don't know about percentages, but my brother did, and then didn't. He went from a Rebel (don't know the model, but Canonites can probably guess based on what he upgraded to...) to a 20D, then a 40D, then a 50D, and breaking the mold, then to a 7D. He still has them all, except for the Rebel. Since he already upgraded to the 7D, he's obviously not weeping bitter tears over the betrayal represented by the 60D.

Tom

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 11, 2010 12:05 |  #27

RTPVid wrote in post #11265586 (external link)
Nail on the head there. Hence, all the denigrating about "plastic" and "super rebel". Silly if you ask me.

What is silly is considering the name "Super Rebel" to be denigrating.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2010 12:19 |  #28

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #11266004 (external link)
What is silly is considering the name "Super Rebel" to be denigrating.

You keep saying that, but you self-contradict by looking for every opportunity to bring it up again.

Tom

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 11, 2010 12:40 |  #29

I am surprised (and impressed) that the IQ is better than the 50D at high ISO.
I'm very happy that this is the case :D

Gear

SouthGalInSF
96 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 11, 2010 12:42 as a reply to  @ RTPVid's post |  #30

I know I am very new here, but while I have enjoyed some of the debates over the 60D, I think CyberDyneSytems is correct. I have the T2i and really wanted the 50D when I got it. But the T2i fit my budget and I am learning with it. Hopefully in the near future I might want to upgrade and the 60D looks very good to me. Before the 60D came out I would have gone for the 50D. When I get my 60D, someday after that I might want to upgrade again. Possible the 7DII or whatever. This seems to me to be the logical upgrade path. Not from a 50D to a 60D to a 70D.... The 60D in no way degrades the 50D, but coming from a 550D, the 60D has all the best of the 50D and some good things from the 7D and 550D. It fits into the scheme of things and the upgrade path that Canon cameras IMO have always taken.

And I am tired of seeing all this negative energy being used on a decent new camera instead of concentrating on learning photography and improving your own skills and helping those behind you learn theirs. :rolleyes:

70D | 40D | EOS M | 17-55 IS 2.8 | 70-300 4-5.6 L IS| 50 1.8 II | 55-250 IS | 100 2.8 Macro (non L) |
EFM 18-55 | EFM 22 f/2 | 430EX II

sponsored links

14,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
dpreview.com 60D indepth review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.