Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

[REVIEW] NEW Luma Loop Mk II ~Beta~

worrptangl
404 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2010 16:13 |  #31

I think Jon means the comments that go beyond what the OP reviewed as a new product in the works. Like different product ideas and such.

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 13, 2010 17:31 |  #32

ecub wrote in post #11278015 (external link)
Who said it was? Isn't this thread already talking about a pending product and feedback?

Yes, and I posted that so you'd take that discussion with the company's rep to where it belongs. IOW - direct to e-mail with Luma Loop, not here on POTN. Clear?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 15, 2010 00:30 |  #33

Jon wrote in post #11278738 (external link)
Yes, and I posted that so you'd take that discussion with the company's rep to where it belongs. IOW - direct to e-mail with Luma Loop, not here on POTN. Clear?

I never had a problem. The rep commented and I commented back "Great to hear". Didn't know there was a problem in making comments on other peoples responses. Was that wrong to do?

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 15, 2010 06:05 |  #34

Looking forward to this product. I will say though, not having extra pockets along the length of the pad seems like wasted storage space for those of us who like to travel light...

Leather is a very dynamic material. We use it because, unlike nylon, the weight of the camera is spread evenly across the width of the shoulder pad assembly. The grid weave of nylon tends to make the weight transfer to the inside portion of the assembly, causing hot spots. Leather is comprised of protein bundles that, while organized in a grain pattern, are far more random than woven textiles.

Adding pockets or disturbing the surface of the leather with such features would compromise comfort.

Also, the leather changes with age. The leather ages into the shape of your shoulder and gets even more comfortable over time. Pockets and fasteners on that surface wouldn't hold up well as the underlying structure twists and stretches as it wears into the user.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 15, 2010 08:24 |  #35

ecub wrote in post #11285707 (external link)
I never had a problem. The rep commented and I commented back "Great to hear". Didn't know there was a problem in making comments on other peoples responses. Was that wrong to do?

If you'll review the thread you'll see a good deal of back-and-forth with gakoenig about the products his company sells, or is planning to sell. That should not be carried out on POTN, but on LumaLoop's own support system, whatever that may be. If he's not prepared to post about and discuss a product on the official LumaLoop website, he should emphatically not be talking about it on the record at POTN. And members here should not be pressing him for marketing or product information on POTN.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

alameda
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 15, 2010 13:47 as a reply to  @ post 11265978 |  #36

I have two Luma Loops MK I units - they have been great and never failed me. I often use the straps on my MK III with a 70-200 L IS that weighs too much. I have two of the straps because I contacted Luma Loop about getting a longer strap which they sent out to me as a complete unit and they allowed me to keep my original strap - no charge - great customer service. I use the regular length strap for lighter set-ups - 7D with a 17-40L for example. I was impressed by the original units because of the lack of metal - I don't like metal next to my camera or lenses if I can avoid it - main reason I stayed away from the problematic BR straps. I sincerely hope the upgrade works well and makes for a better product of what now is an excellent product. I will be waiting for information on the upgrade program.
I must point out that I also use the Op/Tech Utility strap which is a very fine product also that has worked very well for me.
Alameda

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 15, 2010 15:49 |  #37

Jon wrote in post #11286906 (external link)
If you'll review the thread you'll see a good deal of back-and-forth with gakoenig about the products his company sells, or is planning to sell. That should not be carried out on POTN, but on LumaLoop's own support system, whatever that may be. If he's not prepared to post about and discuss a product on the official LumaLoop website, he should emphatically not be talking about it on the record at POTN. And members here should not be pressing him for marketing or product information on POTN.

I don't know. I think it's good for support staff to peruse other forums to discuss their product. After all, wouldn't that show "GOOD SUPPORT"? It would show that they are looking at customers needs. I believe Helen from Adorama often visits POTN and listens and gives her thoughts/opinions as well as suggestions. There was also a thread where a person from Eye-Fi gave his input on the issues with their products, which wasn't even provided on their own website.

Besides, Luma-Labs DO NOT have a support forum, but just an email address. So you don't know if you're questions have been asked NOR do you know if there is an answer. As a user of Luma-Loops, I would WELCOME a support staff from Luma-Loop to browse and give their input on the forums.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

alwaySleepy
276 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 15, 2010 17:35 |  #38

gakoenig wrote in post #11286484 (external link)
Leather is a very dynamic material. We use it because, unlike nylon, the weight of the camera is spread evenly across the width of the shoulder pad assembly. The grid weave of nylon tends to make the weight transfer to the inside portion of the assembly, causing hot spots. Leather is comprised of protein bundles that, while organized in a grain pattern, are far more random than woven textiles.

Adding pockets or disturbing the surface of the leather with such features would compromise comfort.

Also, the leather changes with age. The leather ages into the shape of your shoulder and gets even more comfortable over time. Pockets and fasteners on that surface wouldn't hold up well as the underlying structure twists and stretches as it wears into the user.

Ahh. thx for the explanation.

-Gear List-

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 16, 2010 02:15 |  #39

ecub wrote in post #11289513 (external link)
Besides, Luma-Labs DO NOT have a support forum, but just an email address.

ecub: I absolutely see your point, but this really isn't an argument. It would be more helpful for customers if they made a forum or blog. Not everyone finds these threads on POTN.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 16, 2010 10:57 |  #40

ecub wrote in post #11289513 (external link)
I don't know. I think it's good for support staff to peruse other forums to discuss their product. After all, wouldn't that show "GOOD SUPPORT"? It would show that they are looking at customers needs. I believe Helen from Adorama often visits POTN and listens and gives her thoughts/opinions as well as suggestions. There was also a thread where a person from Eye-Fi gave his input on the issues with their products, which wasn't even provided on their own website.

Besides, Luma-Labs DO NOT have a support forum, but just an email address. So you don't know if you're questions have been asked NOR do you know if there is an answer. As a user of Luma-Loops, I would WELCOME a support staff from Luma-Loop to browse and give their input on the forums.

Well, Pekka pays for POTN. Pekka does not want companies "piggy-backing" off his wallet when they have a responsibility to their customers to provide in-house support. If you have a problem with Luma Loop not providing a support forum, raise it (privately) with them. Not here, with POTN. Same if you have a question that you want them to answer. Raise it directly with them.

Helen responds to posts regarding Adorama, but if you notice she requests that people communicate with her via email; she does not try to draw out a thread on POTN just to keep the Adorama name out there. There is a major difference between visiting outside forums to attempt to identify disgruntled customers and relying on those same forums as a channel for providing customer support and market research. If you want to provide feedback to any manufacturer regarding their product, POTN isn't the place for it. If you want manufacturer support on a product, contact tehe manufacturer. If the manufacturer wishes to promote a coming product they can publish it on their own web site. Note: kinghong, who doesn't work for Luma Loop, has every right to talk about a product he's tried. However when Luma Loop is not prepared to publicly announce the product on their own web site, we do not wish them to use POTN to talk about it, about upgrade opportunities for current customers, or about plans for future products, all of which were occurring in this thread. Allowing that risks POTN's independence, and also endangers the slim revenue stream (much less than hosting the site costs him) Pekka gets from Google Ads, which is the only way for companies to advertise on POTN.

This subject is closed. Policy is as stated - take it or leave it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 16, 2010 18:07 |  #41

gakoenig wrote in post #11273024 (external link)
Albert didn't get one in his pack (we were waiting for them from Duraflex), but MkII Loops will be shipping with a jam lock buckle that you can use to lock the camera in position along the webbing - either behind your back or on your chest. We can do this because our leather/neoprene/"bana​na" grips the shoulder very effectively where other camera sling shoulder pads tend to slip.

I like that this is being added to the LL2. BR uses two cam buckles. It sounds like the LL2 will only have one. I wonder if an option for two like the BR can be done as well.

| Canon EOS Systems |

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 16, 2010 20:11 |  #42

Blurr Cube wrote in post #11296698 (external link)
I like that this is being added to the LL2. BR uses two cam buckles. It sounds like the LL2 will only have one. I wonder if an option for two like the BR can be done as well.

Email them directly. POTN isn't here to be a free support forum for Luma Loop or any other vendor.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 16, 2010 20:37 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #43

Thanks for the informative review. I've been thinking about buying a BR for a while now, but I think I'll be picking up an LLII when they become available.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 19, 2010 10:44 |  #44

I just received the new Luma Loop mkII and I must say that I am very impressed with the build quality. I do feel very free being able to wear the strap the same way that I usually do with the original Canon strap but am also able to shoot with it on! To me that is amazing and I don't know why I havn't got a strap like this before. I can't say much more right now since I have not used it in the field or ever used any other similar strap before but I will get back with more details.

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 19, 2010 11:53 |  #45

viktorsundberg wrote in post #11312491 (external link)
I just received the new Luma Loop mkII and I must say that I am very impressed with the build quality. I do feel very free being able to wear the strap the same way that I usually do with the original Canon strap but am also able to shoot with it on! To me that is amazing and I don't know why I havn't got a strap like this before. I can't say much more right now since I have not used it in the field or ever used any other similar strap before but I will get back with more details.

When you do, can you please comment on whether there is one or two cambuckles that act as stoppers/lock for the camera? Thanks.

| Canon EOS Systems |

sponsored links

27,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
[REVIEW] NEW Luma Loop Mk II ~Beta~
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.