Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

[REVIEW] NEW Luma Loop Mk II ~Beta~

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 20, 2010 13:59 |  #76

How is the new quick release compared to the old one when using just one hand? One-handed operation is important to me. I love the original LL, wondering if I'd benefit from the upgrade.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

sponsored links
AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2010 17:03 |  #77

90c4 wrote in post #11485632 (external link)
How is the new quick release compared to the old one when using just one hand? One-handed operation is important to me. I love the original LL, wondering if I'd benefit from the upgrade.

Seems a little fiddly to use one-handed, but then I have only had a very basic preliminary play with mine so maybe I haven't worked it out yet.

On another note, I found that with the shoulder pad placed comfortably (close in to the neck in my case) it doesn't seem to sit flat, taking a lot of the weight of the camera on the inside edge rather than spreading the load across the whole width of the pad. Seems to work better if I move it out closer to my shoulder, but I find that less comfortable. A pretty minor point however, and it's a million times better than conventional neck straps.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

alwaySleepy
276 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 20, 2010 20:42 |  #78

90c4 wrote in post #11485632 (external link)

Yeah It takes a bit of "fiddling" to get the loop attached. I'm not sure what you mean by one hand but normally when taking the camera off the loop I have my right hand on the camera and my left hand pressing the button to detach

As for attaching the camera, I hold the camera with one hand, and "fiddle" with the button using my thumb to press the button, middle finger and pointer to hold the end that is attached to the strap and just move my hand thats holding the camera around untill i get the 2 ends somewhat aligned and just use my non camera hand to do the remaining work. Takes about 3 secs to do while walking.

-Gear List-

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 20, 2010 20:48 |  #79

I find that I often have gear in my left hand and I need to attach a camera with my right hand to the strap. It isn't too bad with the original, but wondering if the new design is easier or harder.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

alwaySleepy
276 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 20, 2010 21:52 |  #80

90c4 wrote in post #11487929 (external link)
I find that I often have gear in my left hand and I need to attach a camera with my right hand to the strap. It isn't too bad with the original, but wondering if the new design is easier or harder.

honestly I dont think doing this with one hand is fesible. (1) the point that is attached to the camera is fairly, short/small and (2) you need to have the "button" pushed down to allow the 2 points to connect.

-Gear List-

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2010 22:59 |  #81

90c4 wrote in post #11487929 (external link)

I think the only way you could do that is if you're dangling the camera from the QR (QR in your hand, lanyard running down between your fingers) but this is quite fiddling as it means you have to manipulate the male end to mate with the bit in your hand, and press the button with your thumb while aligning/pushing the two sides together. Kinda awkward with one hand. I've not seen a Mk1 but I can't imagine any strap that lets you easily do it up onehanded.

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 20, 2010 23:48 |  #82

AdamC wrote in post #11488695 (external link)
I think the only way you could do that is if you're dangling the camera from the QR (QR in your hand, lanyard running down between your fingers) but this is quite fiddling as it means you have to manipulate the male end to mate with the bit in your hand, and press the button with your thumb while aligning/pushing the two sides together. Kinda awkward with one hand. I've not seen a Mk1 but I can't imagine any strap that lets you easily do it up onehanded.

The Luma site shows some pics similar to how you are describing it. By clicking on the section "SPEED" after clicking on "LOOP". I certainly wouldn't trust my own clutziness to do it one handed though. But that may just be me. Heh. :p

| Canon EOS Systems |

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 21, 2010 00:02 |  #83

Blurr Cube wrote in post #11488866 (external link)
The Luma site shows some pics similar to how you are describing it. By clicking on the section "SPEED" after clicking on "LOOP". I certainly wouldn't trust my own clutziness to do it one handed though. But that may just be me. Heh. :p

You're quite right - although the pictures show taking it off rather than putting it on, which is easier as it doesn't require aligning the two halves.

Cal_PH
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2010 00:29 as a reply to  @ AdamC's post |  #84

Hopefully it's OK for me to post my own thoughts in this thread. If this is considered hijacking here, I apologize and I'll delete it.

I just received mine a day ago, and I have to say I love it so far. Obviously, I haven't had much time to use it, but this is basically something I've wanted for a while. I actually started to make one from a rifle sling I have, but the side that connects to the gun (or camera, in this case) is what stopped me. None of the varieties of gun QD(quick disconnect) mounts looked like they'd work that well with a camera without looking a bit strange or being much bulkier than necessary.

I own one or two rifle slings that have the quick disconnect device I guess the swivel was based on, and love it/them. I've used it carry 8-10 lb rifles, running, crawling, etc. and have never had a failure. I've also asked current/ex soldiers about QD swivels, having the same concerns, and they've said they've never heard of failures either. I wouldn't trust it to hang off a building with even though it's supposedly rated to support my weight, but I'd trust it with my camera for normal use. At least the ball bearing connection, although I do wonder about the cord on the camera end.

I don't think any of my slings have the exact same plastic buckle, but many have similar ones, and I haven't known anyone that has had any of those fail either. I'm sure with enough abuse and time, of course, you can crack/break it, but I'd trust it for normal camera use.

I don't find using the buckle or quick-disconnect awkward, but then I've already gotten used to one. I do think I recall it was a bit awkward to begin with, but it didn't take long to get used to disconnecting with one hand, with my gun in the other.

The one caveat I'd give is Luma says it's based on a military version with 'a few tweaks'...hopefully those tweaks don't make it any less reliable. I think it's steel, which is nice, instead of some cheaper, weaker metal. One difference is probably just cosmetic: the shiny stainless steel look, while all the military ones I've seen have a dull, dark finish that minimizes light reflections.

As I mentioned, I'm wondering a bit about the end that connects to the camera, especially the cord, in both it's strength rating (unless I missed it), and how it's connected to the metal connector part. If you look inside the connector, you can see the cord is simply knotted so that you can't pull it through the hole. I have to wonder if this may work loose in time by the weight of your gear, eventually causing your camera to fall, or, that there may be occaisional ones shipped that the knot isn't tied all that well. I think it'd be worth the few seconds to inspect yours when you get it, just in case. Maybe super-gluing the knot or something would help ease my mind.

Also, the o-ring-like rubber ring protectors on that end (presumably to prevent the metal from scratching your expensive camera/lenses/etc.) aren't secured that well. I had one fall off while disconnecting the camera. I suppose you might be able to find replacements at your local hardware store.

Rifle slings sometimes have an elastic band that can be used to cover the metal connectors, although I've typically seen them on different sling types, not the QD ones. These go over the metal parts to protect your gun from scratches and to prevent noise, but you have to slide them up/down when you want to disconnect your rifle. I have a couple somewhere, I'll dig them up, see if they work well with the Loop QD connector. I've seen that you can buy them in packages of 5 or 8 or something somewhere, in case anyone might want one to fully cover the metal disconnect parts. Sorry if this description isn't clear, I may put pictures up later if anyone is curious.

In case anyone is wondering, the QD on the sling side fits my gun QD mount, and vice versa, allowing one to mix and match if there was a particular gun sling you'd rather switch it out for. However, the sling of the Luma Loop II makes 2 other changes I would have made, the padding (normal rifle slings aren't that comfortable on the shoulders since they're typically stiffer, non-padded material and can bite into your shoulder, especially if you're wearing just a t-shirt), and 'slippier,' softer sling material, allowing the QD connector to move a little smoother when moving your camera.

If people want some comparison shots, I can try to take some tomorrow.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 21, 2010 02:32 as a reply to  @ Cal_PH's post |  #85

One difference is probably just cosmetic: the shiny stainless steel look, while all the military ones I've seen have a dull, dark finish that minimizes light reflections.

The company we work with builds the vast majority of push button sling swivels (like on Blue Force Gear slings, which is what I run on my rifles). The commercial ones are steel with black oxide (shiny black) while the military are phosphate (dull black). All our Luma Connectors are 304 stainless and are about 15% stronger than the military ones. The base is also 304 stainless and is a custom part.

especially the cord, in both it's strength rating (unless I missed it), and how it's connected to the metal connector part.

The nylon/dacron cord is built for us by Sterling Rope in Maine. The tensile strength on it is 300lbs, but it is still small enough to get onto Canon brackets. Like paracord, it is a kernmantle rope; so there is an outside sheath to protect the inner core that does the heavy lifting (our inner cord is bright orange as a safety measure; any fraying is instantly visible, though it won't fray on standard camera mounts). The tensile strength of this cord is just a bit higher than the 3/8" webbing that a factory camera connector would use.

The knot inside is used for assembly. The actual bulk of material that keeps the cord from pulling through is bonded together with an adhesive. The knot is tied in the cord, it is dropped into the base, the adhesive is applied and this is when we machine pull the cord tight - the tightening helps move the adhesive into the threads and essentially lock the knot into being a solid ball.

Also, the o-ring-like rubber ring protectors on that end (presumably to prevent the metal from scratching your expensive camera/lenses/etc.) aren't secured that well. I had one fall off while disconnecting the camera. I suppose you might be able to find replacements at your local hardware store.

They generally stay on pretty well, unless you dig a fingernail under them. The variance is that some tend to get a bit overstretched during production, something I cooked up an install tool to fix. Of course, we can drop some fresh ones in an envelope if you need it; or you can probably find O-rings for $0.01 at any hardware store (the size is -013).

Thanks for the review and I am glad you like your Loop!

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

YseanY
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2010 18:06 |  #86

Cal_PH wrote in post #11489003 (external link)
Rifle slings sometimes have an elastic band that can be used to cover the metal connectors, although I've typically seen them on different sling types, not the QD ones. These go over the metal parts to protect your gun from scratches and to prevent noise, but you have to slide them up/down when you want to disconnect your rifle. I have a couple somewhere, I'll dig them up, see if they work well with the Loop QD connector. I've seen that you can buy them in packages of 5 or 8 or something somewhere, in case anyone might want one to fully cover the metal disconnect parts. Sorry if this description isn't clear, I may put pictures up later if anyone is curious.

Can you post pics and information on the sleeves?

OH6 ­ G35
49 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 26, 2011 17:20 as a reply to  @ YseanY's post |  #87

I love this strap! Great job...

...added a "safety strap"... just for a little peace-of-mind.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …3/PhantomIPG/IM​G_0697.jpg (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 26, 2011 22:25 |  #88

OH6 G35 wrote in post #12098368 (external link)
I love this strap! Great job...

...added a "safety strap"... just for a little peace-of-mind.

for extra security, I hang mine slightly differently

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …lannes2007/IMG_​8991-1.jpg (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

OH6 ­ G35
49 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 26, 2011 23:09 |  #89

lannes wrote in post #12099995 (external link)
for extra security, I hang mine slightly differently

QUOTED IMAGE

Oh...that's good too! :D

Excellent for a BR Strap!!

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 27, 2011 01:16 |  #90

Looks good. Now, do all that stuff get in the way shooting in portrait? I'd think they make it harder to reach the thumb dial.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links

27,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
[REVIEW] NEW Luma Loop Mk II ~Beta~
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.