Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20-24mm for landscapes

Mac
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 13, 2010 14:00 |  #1

I recently moved up to FF and with my current lens lineup, I am missing the 20-24mm range. I have the tamron 28-75, which I really like, but want to get something a tad bit wider. I am already started to save up for the 24 TSE, which I really want, but I want something in the meantime to hold me over.

I have read several mixed reviews on the Canon 20 and 24 2.8s, and I was wondering if these are decent lenses for landscapes. I know 2.8 is not the fastest when it comes to primes, but I will normally be down in the f/8 area anyway.

Are there other lenses that I may want to look at?

Thanks for any input.

Sean
www.akamac.com (external link)

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 13, 2010 14:03 |  #2

Budget?

GEAR LIST

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 13, 2010 14:08 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

For landscapes, pick up a Zuiko 21mm and a Zuiko 24mm and you are all set. Can get them for cheap and you would be hard pressed to get better images from lenses that cost 5x as much. Only drawback is they are manual focus.

Mac
THREAD ­ STARTER
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 13, 2010 22:10 |  #4

Manual focus doesn't bother me so much, especially for landscapes anyway.

Budget would probably be around $500 mark. As I am trying to save up for the 24 TSE...:)

Thanks.

Sean

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 13, 2010 22:14 |  #5

24mm 2.8 not enough for you?
if you want something cheap to hold you over, MF lenses like the ones hogloff recommended or some other mount (m42, k-mount, etc) do a fine job.

Gear List here

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 13, 2010 22:31 as a reply to  @ asamimasa's post |  #6

Mac, have you used a tilt shift and liked it? I am just curious because If I were looking for a manual focus lens for landscapes I would be all over the Zeiss 21 ZE.

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 14, 2010 03:23 |  #7

I would go to 24L but out of your price, so give a look to sigma (AF + a kind of macro).

https://photography-on-the.net …ht=sigma+24F1.8​+real+life

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 14, 2010 06:45 as a reply to  @ newworld666's post |  #8

Pick up a 17-40L on the used market and call it a day...works stellar on a 5D2 (or even a 5D for that matter).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 14, 2010 06:58 |  #9

I agree with argyle. You can analyze this to death, in the end, the 17-40 is the best solution and gives you a lot of flexibility. The 17-40 with the 24-105 are my most used lenses for Landscapes.

Mac
THREAD ­ STARTER
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 14, 2010 19:38 |  #10

david lacey wrote in post #11279987 (external link)
Mac, have you used a tilt shift and liked it? I am just curious because If I were looking for a manual focus lens for landscapes I would be all over the Zeiss 21 ZE.

I am starting to shoot more cityscape and architecture and like the perspective control the shift gives me. I haven't used one for any extensive amount of time, but plan on renting one before I make the decision to drop the money on the 24 TSE 2.

The Zeiss has been mentioned to me a few times now, I may have to see if I can rent that one as well before I make that final decision on where to go :)

The 24 2.8 has a lot of mixed reviews, that is why I was looking at other options. I tested out the 20 2.8 this afternoon, and the images came out nice, with a little softness in the corners wide open. I may go that route to hold me over until I can stash enough for the TSE...:D

Thanks for the input everyone...

Sean

sponsored links

1,546 views & 0 likes for this thread
20-24mm for landscapes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.