Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

POTN forums are closing 31.12.2023. Please see https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1530921 and other posts in that thread for details.
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 02 Sep 2005 (Friday) 08:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

TAMRON AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 /CANON EF

S45_fornow...
530 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Sep 02, 2005 08:10 |  #1

Just purchased one of these brand new for $109 shipped. Does that seem like a good deal for the money?

I'm hoping this will be a nice addition to my kit which includes a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

:D

su719
141 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 02, 2005 08:16 |  #2

Is this the LD version ? If so that is a good price.

Canon 350D | Canon 50mm f1.8 MKII | Canon 420 EX |
Canon 17-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM | Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

S45_fornow...
THREAD ­ STARTER
530 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Sep 02, 2005 08:30 as a reply to  @ su719's post |  #3

su719 wrote:
Is this the LD version ? If so that is a good price.

Yup, it's the LD version. :D

mijbril
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 02, 2005 08:41 |  #4

I love mine & for the money spent, the results are fantastic & I learn more about the type of photography that uses this length of lens etc etc.

That said, I know a day is coming when I will upgrade, when I have the money & I think my photography skills at the long end justify lashing out on some flash white barrelled Canon IS L lens :D hehe

EDIT : Oh yes, you got a good deal there. Looking at tests & opinions on this board. It would seem that the Tamron is around the same quality as the Sigma APO equivalent & about 35% to 50% cheaper!!!!

Just returned after many years hiatus from this forum. I was a bit of a prat before, if I ever offended you, I'm sorry

I've got all the equipment I need, now I just need inspiration :D
My Fotocommunity Pics (external link)

su719
141 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 02, 2005 08:50 |  #5

I find the glass to be fairly close, my recent test showed the Sigma better till 70-200 but the Tamron better beyond then. However the AF of the Tamron is turtle slow, where the Sigma's is average.

Canon 350D | Canon 50mm f1.8 MKII | Canon 420 EX |
Canon 17-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM | Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

ddelallata
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2005 08:54 |  #6

That's a good price, but sooner or later you'll want to upgrade to some better glass. I had that lens on my old film body and my only complaints were the slow focusing speed and the loud AF motor.

Dr. David de la Llata
Canon EF 1.4X II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM
Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 MACRO USM
Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L USM
Olympus C-2020 (for infrared work)

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 02, 2005 08:58 |  #7

It's not a bad lens. I had one before getting my sigma 70-200. The good points are that it's reasonably sharp, focusses very close, and is very lightweight. The downsides are that at the longer lengths it has a lot of chromatic aberation, it's focus is really really slow, and it's not f2.8.

it's not as good as the 28-75 which is a really remarkable lens. but it's not a bad lens, either. for the price you did very well.

enjoy it,

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

SnowSpyder86
100 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 02, 2005 09:05 |  #8

S45_fornow... wrote:
Just purchased one of these brand new for $109 shipped. Does that seem like a good deal for the money?

I'm hoping this will be a nice addition to my kit which includes a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

:D

Where did you buy it from?

Canon 350D/XT
EF-S 18-55
EF 50 1.8 II

ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
3,554 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 02, 2005 09:20 |  #9

Even at it's more common price of about us$150 this lens is excellent value.
From reports of others and from what i've experienced myself it is one of the few 300mm consumer zooms that is genuinely quite sharp at the long end.
It does have some drawbacks but if one can work around those it's a bargain.
Those 'bad' points are- slowish focus,some purple fringing and (if you really want to nit pick),not quite as sharp as other zooms at the short end plus slightly crosseyed background blur.

S45_fornow...
THREAD ­ STARTER
530 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Sep 02, 2005 17:50 as a reply to  @ SnowSpyder86's post |  #10

SnowSpyder86 wrote:
Where did you buy it from?

A friend in Utah purchased it for me from a store that was going out of business. The downfall is that if I got a bad one I will be stuck with it.

mijbril
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 02, 2005 21:04 as a reply to  @ S45_fornow...'s post |  #11

S45_fornow... wrote:
A friend in Utah purchased it for me from a store that was going out of business. The downfall is that if I got a bad one I will be stuck with it.

Build quality has been pretty good I think. Well, no one has complained about Tamron brand to the extent that they have with the Sigma brand (though to be fair, Sigma is perhaps a more popular brand & so more chance of seeing someone complain about a dodgy lens. People rarely voluntarily big up the merits of a consumer lens no matter what brand. It's not until people get their L's that they start to gloat, hehe)

Just returned after many years hiatus from this forum. I was a bit of a prat before, if I ever offended you, I'm sorry

I've got all the equipment I need, now I just need inspiration :D
My Fotocommunity Pics (external link)

adauria
113 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 03, 2005 11:27 |  #12

I just got my Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD used from ebay. I paid about $114 including shipping and insurance. I haven't had much time to play with it, but like what I've seen so far (nice sunny Saturday here in NYC - she's gonna get some use today).

So, yeah, what you paid is great for a new one! Cheapest new I saw was Amazon for $129, but it was out of stock as I recall.

-Andrew

---------------
Canon Rebel XT 350D
Canon EF 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD
Speedlite 420EX

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 13, 2005 16:14 |  #13

I just got one "like new" for $99.00 on Ebay. You paid less than the lowest retailer so yeah... it's a good price.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

2,321 views & 0 likes for this thread, 9 members have posted to it.
TAMRON AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 /CANON EF
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.