Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 20:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trying to figure out how to shoot in manual...

m.d.harper
275 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2010 20:54 |  #1

...and not always having the best of luck. I have even gone so far as to take an indoor image on auto and then set the exact same settings in manual only to get a very under exposed outcome in manual. Please help...and thanks.

sponsored links
AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 17, 2010 20:57 |  #2

In its simplest form, half-press the shutter button, and view where the little needle is at the bottom (as seen through the viewfinder) - it should be in the middle. If not, adjust your shutter speed or f/stop until it is.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

m.d.harper
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2010 21:12 |  #3

AdamC...thanks for the tip, however I already get how to do that and set the white balance and such but the picture has a bad yellowish tint to it. I then set it to auto and mimiced those settings on manual only to be a very dark image.

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 17, 2010 21:16 as a reply to  @ m.d.harper's post |  #4

Depending on your camera, setting it to full auto (green box mode) might result in auto adjustment of ISO as well as shutter and f/stop - this might possibly explain your underexposed images when trying to duplicate the results.

As for the yellow tint - sounds like a simple WB error, which is often easy to do as some lights require compensating for in unexpected ways. Trail and error is your friend. :)

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 17, 2010 22:53 |  #5

m.d.harper wrote in post #11303931 (external link)
AdamC...thanks for the tip, however I already get how to do that and set the white balance and such but the picture has a bad yellowish tint to it. I then set it to auto and mimiced those settings on manual only to be a very dark image.

AdamC wrote in post #11303948 (external link)
Depending on your camera, setting it to full auto (green box mode) might result in auto adjustment of ISO as well as shutter and f/stop - this might possibly explain your underexposed images when trying to duplicate the results.

As for the yellow tint - sounds like a simple WB error, which is often easy to do as some lights require compensating for in unexpected ways. Trail and error is your friend. :)

Yeah -- did you check your ISO with the Auto shot? What were you set to in Manual?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,846 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 18, 2010 07:48 |  #6

AdamC wrote in post #11303858 (external link)
In its simplest form, half-press the shutter button, and view where the little needle is at the bottom (as seen through the viewfinder) - it should be in the middle. If not, adjust your shutter speed or f/stop until it is.

That's the same as shooting in manual with an Auto exposure, & will only work if you were pointing it at something near 12-18% gray. This works better for me: Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

m.d.harper
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 18, 2010 15:52 |  #7

Photos guy...thanks for the good technique. It has helped!

4Bucks
660 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2010 14:40 |  #8

Read the link in my sig.
I am completely self taught from this website and the link was a huge help for me.
Good Luck.

4Bucks does not = photo for $... Four Buckleys in the family
A must read for all new to photography: Ben's Newbie Guide https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088
My stuff: 7D, some lenses, and OCFs
Facebook (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 19, 2010 14:48 |  #9

AdamC wrote in post #11303858 (external link)

If all you are doing is trying to put the needle in the middle, then you might as well shoot in Av, Tv etc. and save yourself having to fiddle around with settings so much.

With the needle centred, you are simply accepting the cameras metering and it will choose exactly the same exposure in the auto modes. The idea of manual is to let you overide the cameras decision and choose the exposure for yourself, correcting for scenes which will throw the metering off.

The 'correct' exposure is possibly a couple of stops or more to the left or right of centre on that needle.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 20, 2010 16:27 |  #10

m.d.harper wrote in post #11303850 (external link)
...and not always having the best of luck. I have even gone so far as to take an indoor image on auto and then set the exact same settings in manual only to get a very under exposed outcome in manual. Please help...and thanks.

If you had put your camera on a tripod, so that its view is constant and fixed, then setting the camera on Manual and mimicing exactly what the camera settings had shown for aperture and shutter speed (while in Av or Tv) should produce exactly the same exposure! Av simply sets the shutter to correlate to the aperture which you preselected, for example, so if you had set Av and chosen f/8 and the meter had then chosen 1/400, the exposure would look exactly like you having camera in M with f/8 and 1/400 manually chosen by you!

If a shot was quite underexposed in M, then setting the camera on Av or Tv would have resulted in a similarly underexposed shot.

Shooting in Manual is merely you controlling BOTH shutter speed and aperture, while Tv or Av is letting the camera choose one and you choose the other parameter. No difference in exposure should result from merely choice of mode!

A fundamental understanding that people need to have about ANY reflected light metering (which is what your camera does), is that it assumes the thing that is metered will average to 18% gray mid-tone value.

• If you aim at bride in white gown on a snowy background, the meter tries to turn her and the snow into 18% gray...which is why you need to use EC + while in Av or Tv mode.
  • If you aim at a black minister in a black minister's shirt in front of a black background, the meter tries to turn him and the background into 18% gray...which is why you need to use EC - while in Av or Tv mode.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 20, 2010 19:20 |  #11

m.d.harper wrote in post #11303850 (external link)

I bet the flash is popping up in AUTO. Are you also popping up the flash in M?

Agent ­ 655
98 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 21, 2010 12:34 |  #12

Also if you are going to M use RAW images. That way you can worry less about the white balance and more on the exposure.

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 21, 2010 18:36 |  #13

I am a long time photographer switching over to M. I have used AV for a long time, but M is going to open up some more options for me. Thanks for the links. Especially this one.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=89123

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trying to figure out how to shoot in manual...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.