Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack vs Shoulder Bag?

TripleB
171 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 18, 2010 11:09 |  #1

I just put up a post concerning 4 shoulder bags I'm looking at to go with my new camera.

As I was going to check the price of each of those, a couple backpack style camera bags caught my eye (Tamrac 5273, Lowepro Pro Runner 200W, etc.).

I've always carried a shoulder bag and never really considered a backpack style bag.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a backpack style camera bag?

Thank you for your help.

TripleB

BTW: I'll be carrying a Canon T2i with 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens, 50mm lens, EX420 flash, small HD Video Camera, and Extra Supplies (battery, memory, cleaning, etc.)

Canon T2i, 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens, 50mm f1.8 lens, EX420 flash

sponsored links
TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 18, 2010 11:14 |  #2

I prefer the backpack, personally. I do a lot of hiking here in CO and having a backpack really helps. I also have a shoulder bag but I prefer to use my backpack for professional work too. Since I shoot real estate professionally, it's not a big deal. It makes it easy for me to put the pack on and carry my tripod and other equipment I might need. But, if I shot weddings....I would get a more professional shoulder bag. Don't know why, but I think it would just look better to have a shoulder bag for something like that.

I'm actually at the point where I'm ready to upgrade to a larger pack/bag, so I'll be interested to see which route you take and why.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2010 12:55 |  #3

The backpack is infinitely more comfortable, but access is difficult...except in the ThinkTank Rotation 360 (external link), where you can get into half of the pack without taking it off. You pay for the convenience.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 18, 2010 13:50 |  #4

if youre carrying a lot... backpack. a shoulder/messenger/sli​ng would kill the shoulder when carrying a lot, even for a short period of time.

i use my lowepro messenger exchange when carrying just my camera and maybe another lens or 2 or a lens and flash. slings and messengers are comfortable and easily accessible if youre not carrying a ton.

with what you have a shoulder bag would work... i personally wouldnt carry around a hd video camera since you have a t2i. everything else you have is pretty light weight

TripleB
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 18, 2010 14:00 |  #5

booja wrote in post #11307619 (external link)
with what you have a shoulder bag would work... i personally wouldnt carry around a hd video camera since you have a t2i. everything else you have is pretty light weight

Thank for the input...after looking some more at the backpacks I'm leaning more towards a shoulder bag.

The video camera is in case my wife and I want (need) to get sports from two different angles of if we go two seperate ways at some event.

TripleB

Canon T2i, 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens, 50mm f1.8 lens, EX420 flash

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 18, 2010 18:31 |  #6

Backpacks are great for comfortably carrying lots of gear, but are hard to shoot out of. Shoulder bags are much easier to shoot out of but can get uncomfortable if you're carrying lots of gear. Another option that works well if you're not carrying tons of stuff is a sling bag. More comfortable than a shoulder bag, yet you can still swing it around for accessing your gear. As you start to acquire more gear you'll soon learn that there's no one bag that can do it all.

596 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 18, 2010 20:07 |  #7

"you'll soon learn that there's no one bag that can do it all."

Amen... still looking for the right bag.. over a year..

Body: Canon 7d - gripped | Canon Xsi - gripped |
Glass: 16-35 f 2.8L | 24-70 f2.8L | 70-200 f2.8L| 100 F2.8 L Macro| 50mm f/1.2L|for sale 50mm f 1.4
Flash: 580EX II (x2) | Battery Pack CP-E4
www.MaltesePhotography​.com (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,260 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 18, 2010 20:13 |  #8

007 wrote in post #11309410 (external link)

Bag are like lenses: You want a big collection so you can pick the right one(s) for the occasion.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,972 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 18, 2010 20:28 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #9

check out the lowepro slingshot bags...may or may not be of interest to you

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 18, 2010 20:37 |  #10

Backpacks are more comfortable but shoulder bags can be shot out of. Also some places (events, etc.) will not allow "backpacks" but allow shoulder bags.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,425 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 18, 2010 22:42 |  #11

crn3371 wrote in post #11309040 (external link)
Backpacks are great for comfortably carrying lots of gear, but are hard to shoot out of. Shoulder bags are much easier to shoot out of but can get uncomfortable if you're carrying lots of gear. ... As you start to acquire more gear you'll soon learn that there's no one bag that can do it all.

^^^

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 19, 2010 02:09 |  #12

I have both and use the shoulder bag when I know I am not going to be walking long distances at jobs that require easy access, for example sporting events, concerts etc. When I do landscapes, nature etc, I always bring the backback.

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,428 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Nov 19, 2010 02:18 as a reply to  @ viktorsundberg's post |  #13

As said up there, saying "A versus B" is no good when it comes to bags.
I'm not a bag-a-holic, yet still have three.

A small bag of camera plus modest lens plus flash or maybe two modest-sized lenses; a shoulder-bag which can cope with my 100-400, plus another lens AND a flash; plus a Lowepro 300, which is THE BEST for carrying longer distances....but if I think I'll be shooting, I swing it round and pop the camera out.

I'd recommend you go along with the flow and get several bags that work for each occasion.

Regards,
Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

bebud
111 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2010 11:13 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #14

buy several of each and see which one works....just kidding....

7d ,6d,10-22,70-200 f4, 24 f2 is,Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 90mm macro,Tamron 18-270
simplydave.net (external link)

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 19, 2010 18:26 |  #15

007 wrote in post #11309410 (external link)

.....over 30 years for me!

Backpacks are better as you carry more weight for longer durations and/or distance. Their disadvantage is that you have to take them off & back on everytime you want to access your gear. Shoulder bags are better for less gear and more frequent access. Their disadvantage is that they're less securely attached (ie you stumble and the shoulder bag is off) and they can MUCH more quickly tire you (your shoulder). I've had shoulder bags occasionally but usually get rid of 'em, reverting to backpacks. When I discovered Lowepro Slingshot 200 a couple of years ago I've used it exclusively except for long mtn hikes where other non photo gear is also needed (ie water, clothing, food, 1st aid, etc), using a backpack. Slingshots carry your gear largely on your back via a hip/waist pad, a shoulder strap, and a stabilizer strap that readily unclips to allow quickly pivoting around to your front and allowing not only access to your gear but also a shelving area for handling multiple items during lens etc exchanges.

Give into the reality that you'll own/need multiple bags. The earlier you concede that there is no such things as the universal perfect bag, you can then start to focus on getting the best small array of bags to cover all of your needs.

sponsored links

14,501 views & 1 like for this thread
Backpack vs Shoulder Bag?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.