Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 23:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my 70 - 200 2.8 L IS USM II fell off my 5D

Prairiemaiden
82 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 18, 2010 23:56 |  #1

Dear Sir:
My 70 - 200 2.8L IS USM II fell off my 5D while shooting my nephews band. I was taking photos, put the camera down to change a setting, was holding on to the hand grip and the lens just came off hitting the cement floor. Instantly nauseous. This happened before, but it came off in my hand as I support the lens when I shoot. I was basically dumbfounded the first time it happened. Well the lens was not shattered but it hit the cement hard and it bounced. My lens hood and the base near the lens contacts the paint was chipped off. On closer inspection the base of the lens near the rubber seal looked like it was not completely spherical, it looks like the metal was flatter in a small area, right next to the rubber seal. I was not sure if this was from the fall or if it came from B & H that way. I sent both the camera and the lens to Canon. I get an email, estimate that the lens will cost $326.00 dollars to fix and my camera will cost $212.00. I called them and told them the lens was still under warranty and they said because I dropped it was not covered. I sent them a form typewritten, explaining what happened and the lady on the phone said, I am sorry we will not cover a dropped lens. I asked them what exactly needed to be fixed on both the camera and lens and she said they didn't know as they had not fixed it yet. They needed my credit card number and approval to fix it first. This all seems so fishy. I came across this site and gave them the link to this as well
http://****/canonlens (external link)

They also sent me a message that my canon 5D fell under the Canon loyalty program. I could upgrade to a newer camera and pay the difference, I asked what it would cost to upgrade to the 5D the service rep said, that I could only upgrade to the canon 7D. The 5d MarkII did not qualify. I said I felt that going to a 1.6 crop factor would be a down grade. She said sorry. I then asked to talk to her supervisor and she put me on hold, after the 5th song, I hung up.

I also have registered all my equipment on line and when I went to my canon site it showed nothing registered. I emailed Canon and they said I did not register it I must have just added them under my products on my canon account. This is not true I read this carefully and registered them. I have in my possession a certificate dated from Canon thanking me for registering my Canon 5D, along with a $100.00 certificate towards repairing my camera. I also got confirmation emails from Canon thanking me for registering my products.

I want to stress that I have taken very good care of my equipment. I had sent my camera in to Canon to have the sensor cleaned and to check the mirror recall. I have spent upwards of $9,000.00 on all Canon specific gear.
I feel very strongly that Canon should replace my lens, free of charge as this was not user error. The camera I will pay for if there is something wrong with the release mechanism as it is out of warranty. I really feel like I lost trust in
my canon products and their customer service.

Please advise me as what Canons final decision is with this case. Thank you for your time.

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,600 posts
Gallery: 1637 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 19, 2010 00:07 |  #2

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. But in this situation, I am inclined to side with Canon. Whenever I mount a lens, I always make sure to check 3-4x that the lens has been locked into position. This, of course, is to ensure that the contacts are touching so that the lens functions properly. And secondly (most importantly), that the lens doesn't separate from the camera.

If I had a faulty release button on the body and was aware of it, I would either fix it, or buy a new camera so that this wouldn't happen to any of my lenses. As you noted, this has happened before... I would have been extra cautious and tried to duplicate/replicate after the first time so that I could repair it if necessary.

It takes a good almost 30-degree turn for the lens to come off the mount. It doesn't just fall off, unless the entire mount came off of the camera. The release button only unlocks it so that the lens can be twisted... but it still needs to be twisted the 30-degrees or so to come off.

I can only hope that you have renters/home owner's insurance that you can use to help cover the cost for a replacement/repair.

Again, sorry to hear about your ordeal. But the lens was dropped... that becomes the realm of insurance and not Canon's responsibility towards flaws in workmanship. Unless you're suggesting something was wrong w/ the lens that caused it to separate from the 5D, whereas all indication seems to point to the 5D being the cause/source of the problem.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2010 00:35 |  #3

i second jwcdds's assessment. what baffles me is this:
1. assuming you had mounted the lens properly, how did the lens manage to break free from the mount?
2. if it's happened before, i know i'd be beyond paranoid about this occurring again and be either much more careful or send the camera or lens or maybe both into canon to assess the issue

either way, i'm sorry for what happened. best of luck!

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 19, 2010 00:44 |  #4

If the lens wasn't mounting properly, then there would have to be some obvious defect on the lens where it attaches. It would also happen all the time.

Something is odd about this story.

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 19, 2010 02:45 |  #5

Wait it happened before and you didn't send it in the first time? I don't know about anyone else but if a lens were to come off my camera body it would go back in immediately after I do some basic troubleshooting to make sure it isn't my fault.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

Darkwand
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2010 03:08 |  #6

I don't get it you knew this had happened before ???

Adrian My Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, Canon 500D, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1,8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro, 10-20mm f/4-5,6

Manfrotto 055 CXPRO4 + 498RC2, Manfrotto 410 Junior, Elinchrom: RX1200, 2x BRX250 , Dlite-it 4 and 2, Canon 580EXII

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2010 03:34 |  #7

Since the camera needs to be repaired too I would assume the OP just left out the part that either the weight of the lens broke the mount or that the mount was already compromised and he sent it in at the same time to be fixed.

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2010 07:09 |  #8

Dear Sir:
I was driving my car at maximum speed and hit a truck. The brakes did not automatically come on to avoid the collision. This is the second time this has happened. Please fix my car or replace it for free.

That's what the original post sounds like. If there is any reason to believe that there was a faulty connection on the lens or camera then your claim might have some plausibility, but with the facts given if I were the manufacturer I would certainly reject such a claim.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2010 07:21 |  #9

Unless the release/lock pin was faulty....stuck open, I agree with the other posters. This was user error.

Although I sympathize with the poster for their misfortune, Canon should not be held responsible for waving the repair fees.

With that said, I had a 135L fly out of a 6MDH (first day I used it, happened to be on a shoot). The mount got bent and I sent it in fully expecting to pay for the repair. Canon Canon was nice enough to replace it on warranty even though the work order clearly showed they knew how the damage happened. Maybe they waved the charge because it took an extra week to repair it (no mount in stock) or my past history with them and their poor service. Sometimes you catch someone on a day they are feeling generous.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Prairiemaiden
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 19, 2010 08:51 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #10

Apparently I am not the only dumb s....t with a Canon Camera.

http://www.prophotosho​w.net …lens-falling-off-problem/ (external link)

I did not leave anything out of the story. I am not a dishonest person. Yes the lens came off in my hand and I was dumbfounded and could not reproduce the problem. So I assumed it was user error. The camera was taking pictures I received no error codes. The camera was sent in for the mirror recall and I asked them to service it, aka sensor cleaning and check for other problems. They sent it back and said it was good to go. The most recent incident, I had just taken several frames and was checking my lighting had a hold of the camera's hand grip and it tumbled to the cement. I just put this out there so people could be aware. It may never happen to you but if and when it does, you will know exactly where I am coming from.

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2010 09:01 |  #11

Prairiemaiden wrote in post #11312003 (external link)
Apparently I am not the only dumb s....t with a Canon Camera.

http://www.prophotosho​w.net …lens-falling-off-problem/ (external link)

Gavin (the guy who owns that site) admits that he hit the release with his thumb. Sounds like user error to me.

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 19, 2010 09:08 |  #12

I have tried to remove the lens (without pressing the lens release) in the past and they didn't come off so I don't know what the problem is.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,314 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 19, 2010 09:14 |  #13

As others have stated there are only 3 possibilities I could come up with:

1) Faulty lens lock mechanism, but easily tested and after the first time, it would have been the first thing I checked out.

2) Lens not fully locked into position, this is solved by developing a habit of locking the lens, then twisting it slight each way to make sure it is truly locked

3) If you hold the camera and lens incorrectly to the point you have pressed the release without knowing it, then rotate to the portrait position, I can see how you would twist and separate the lens enough to do this.

Also, a note to the OP and many others that I have seen mentioning sending in a DSLR under the Loyalty program. In many or all cases, it is not cost effective to send in your broken DSLR, even if it is a 300D for a 20% discount toward a refurbed. You will invariably make more by selling it on the boards or ebay as "As Is - For Repair or Parts", then taking $10-20 of that to buy a broken point and shoot.

Taking a $1000 5D, you could sell it for $400-600 if it is indeed needs repairs, then apply that toward the Loyalty program using a broken point and shoot, as an example.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,423 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 19, 2010 09:48 |  #14

Sorry, You dropped it , you pay. It should have gone back to Canon when it came off in your hand.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 19, 2010 10:26 |  #15

It really does sound like user error and therefore Canon has no obligation to repair or replace for free. You're either holding the camera in such a way that the lens release button is getting depressed or not fully locking the lens into place. Some lenses have a tighter fit than others. If your lens was a tight fit perhaps you weren't turning it far enough for it to click into place.

sponsored links

38,568 views & 12 likes for this thread
my 70 - 200 2.8 L IS USM II fell off my 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.