Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Diffuser for on camera flash

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 21, 2010 09:36 |  #1

I am looking for a diffuser for using either a canon 430 or nissin 866 to use on camera. Ideally it will need to work both outdoors and indoors.

I have found these and curious to see if anyone has used them
LumiQuest Big Bounce, Bounce Flash Device (external link)

Interfit Strobies Globe Diffuser STR103 (external link)

Gary Fong Lightsphere (external link)

Thanks

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 21, 2010 09:46 |  #2

I've owned and tried all of them.
Nothing works as well as bouncing the flash off a wall.
Higher ISO and bounce beat all the options.
At normal distances all the items you suggest are still small light sources and they eat a lot of light.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

adrian5127
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 21, 2010 10:15 |  #3

Thanks
That is definitely the cheapest and least fiddly option !!

Adrian

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2010 10:17 |  #4

The lumiquest is the best of those options. The Fong and similar diffusers are pretty much a waste of money, wherever they work you can probably do without them anyway.

Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 21, 2010 10:38 |  #5

Lumiquest for me too - I like their Quik Bounce best, because of its versatility.

Ceiling/wall bounce is good, but you need a light coloured ceiling or wall! And either, way bouncing off the surrounding consumes a great deal of light.

One of the benefits of the Lumiquest is that you can use it outside, with no ceiling/walls, and get a useful bit of softening without squandering most of the light by blasting it into nowhere like the Fong etc.

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

adrian5127
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 21, 2010 10:59 |  #6

Thanks I do quite like the look of the bigbounce, as you say it can be used outside

Adrian

TiaS
239 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 21, 2010 11:08 |  #7

This is what I use. It is like bouncing a light off the ceiling, even when one is not available. I find it works great, expect when it is windy outside. This has solved my photo lighting issues:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM (external link)

Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 21, 2010 11:26 |  #8

TiaS wrote in post #11321406 (external link)
This is what I use. It is like bouncing a light off the ceiling, even when one is not available. I find it works great, expect when it is windy outside. This has solved my photo lighting issues:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM (external link)

It's hardly like bouncing off the ceiling when their isn't one! As Peter Gregg says in the video. He's a hoot, and talks a lot of sense, but 18mins to explain how to cut a piece of card!?!

I forgot to mention the Demb Flip-it Classic. Only a glorified bounce card but very handy http://www.dembflashpr​oducts.com/flipit/mode​ls/ (external link)

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2010 12:02 |  #9

Some like them some do not.

I like my stofen on the 580ex2. I like how the light is more even where a dirrect flash is not. Such as outside at night.

I am sure a pro knows a better way but it seems that for a camerad dad I get consistently nicer results with one.

My house has a vaulted wood ceiling and I get a yellow tint when I try to bounce.

:D 16-35IIL, 50L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 200L F2.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 21, 2010 12:23 |  #10

If I want to use something outside or in a venue with really bad bounce characteristics I fall back to the Dimp Flip-its. The are, for me, more versatile than the omni-bounce. Stofen converts the Speedlite to a bare bulb but costs about a stop of light. I have one with the front cut out. It offers the bare bulb characteristic without consuming light for the bounce.

There are times when the only way to get the shot is to aim the flash at the subject. At that point all these alternatives are still small lights and will deliver flat light with sharp shadow edges.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

2,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Diffuser for on camera flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.