Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this true regarding 7D vs D300?

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2010 13:18 |  #1

The 7D has better image quality than the D300......because at equal image size a 7D gives you 50% more detail. True or False?

Obviously, the 7D has 50% more pixels..........what about detail? 50% more? Or 22.47% more detail (square root of 18/12)?

sponsored links
nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 21, 2010 13:31 |  #2

If you "pixel peep" then yes...you will notice the difference. Most people will never do that so it's pretty much a non issue. 12 million pixels is enough to crop or print almost anything....however, you could crop the 7D files more if you wanted.

Pixel density and size and other factors come into play here also.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,758 posts
Gallery: 1684 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 21, 2010 13:31 |  #3

All things being equal, (lighting, lens, conditions, etc...) then yes, the 7D can capture more details due to more pixels. Is it significant enough to give you that "OMG WOW" factor? Probably not. A good photo is just a good photo (doesn't need 18mp, doesn't need 12mp). If it's a lousy photo... we it's 12mp worth of crap vs. 18mp worth of crap. :lol:

The D300 is no slouch at all. IMO, you need to look at what lenses you currently have (and if you don't have any) or what lenses you would like to buy down the road. And then decide on what works best for you.

D300 was (2 years?) old when the 7D hit the market. A better comparison would be between the D300s vs. 7D. And if you're not shooting video at all... then you could also consider the 50D and D300 as other viable options.

Just remember... camera bodies come and go, but the quality lenses are good essentially forever.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 21, 2010 14:43 |  #4

Well - there we have it!

David

David

frule
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2010 14:59 |  #5

Can someone explain the percentage of extra detail you get going from 12mp to 18mp? Are detail and resolution equals?

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Nov 21, 2010 14:59 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #6

More pixels do not necessarily make them better pixels.

Glass is where it's at IMHO. ;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 21, 2010 15:08 |  #7

I have grown to hate the pixel density of the 7D, to the extent that i'm trading it for a 1D IIn. I constantly get grainy faces (when they're a small percentage of the picture, but still) and no where near the clarity I'd expect. With perfect lighting, yeah, it's pretty good, but the lower density sensors seem to work better for what I do. If you look at my lenses, i'm not exactly using crap, either.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

snoop99
588 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2010 15:25 |  #8

Erik_L wrote in post #11322434 (external link)
I have grown to hate the pixel density of the 7D, to the extent that i'm trading it for a 1D IIn. I constantly get grainy faces (when they're a small percentage of the picture, but still) and no where near the clarity I'd expect. With perfect lighting, yeah, it's pretty good, but the lower density sensors seem to work better for what I do. If you look at my lenses, i'm not exactly using crap, either.

I am happy with crops on the 7D. Here is a crop not with small face. I would never go backwards and get 1D IIn. The 7D has is the most responsive and fastest camera Cannon makes under 5K. I think you have great camera body combination. From what I can tell 85mm is your longest lens,try the 70-200 IS 2.8 II on the 7D it amazing.

This is crop of more than 50%

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5196084234_645ae47805_b.jpg

5D MarkII 70-200 IS F/2.8 II L, Canon 24-70 2.8 II L[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blac​k], Canon 17-40 L, Canon 50 F/1.4, Canon 2X II, 580EXII Canon S100
Flickr (external link)
http://dcphotofixed.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Howzit
59 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 21, 2010 15:54 |  #9

snoop99 wrote in post #11322528 (external link)
I am happy with crops on the 7D. Here is a crop not with small face. I would never go backwards and get 1D IIn. The 7D has is the most responsive and fastest camera Cannon makes under 5K. I think you have great camera body combination. From what I can tell 85mm is your longest lens,try the 70-200 IS 2.8 II on the 7D it amazing.

This is crop of more than 50%

Simply stunning - Well done!!! bw!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 21, 2010 16:28 |  #10

Erik_L wrote in post #11322434 (external link)

Would you have some examples? Here is the 17-55 on my 7D at ISO 1600, raw to jpg, no post processing. It was a bit to the right (no clipping though), and I brought it back a bit. There is indeed grain in the shadows, which is annoying, but it cleans up alright. What you see in the areas coming out of shadows and into the highlights (around the Pacific ocean north of the equator), I believe, is where you use a high sharpening value and DPP/7D firmware butchers this up and you get that mosaic noise. This is why I keep the camera and DPP settings at 2-4 tops for sharpening. Then I can sharpen during post processing. I shoot with low sharpening values and EC +1/3 at about everything I shoot now.

Is this what you are seeing? However, given the 100% crop, I am definitely happy with the details, considering this is wide-open with a 17-55 that has a few bad scratches dead center on the element.

The 2nd image is a quick little action that removes noise and sharpens a bit. It helps quite a bit, I think, for the IQ, but then again viewing the overall image, you don't see much of a change, you have to zoom in.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 21, 2010 16:36 |  #11

The extra megapixels only help if you are printing or viewing at sizes that demand the higher pixel dimensions.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 21, 2010 16:53 |  #12

frule wrote in post #11321939 (external link)
The 7D has better image quality than the D300......because at equal image size a 7D gives you 50% more detail. True or False?

Obviously, the 7D has 50% more pixels..........what about detail? 50% more? Or 22.47% more detail (square root of 18/12)?

False.

Image quality is not a well defined word. More pixel only benefits when printing huge prints or cropping. If you are pixel peeping, when viewed at 100%, pictures with lower pixel count appears sharper. Thereotically, pixels are like money, the more the merrier. In reality, after 10mp, the benefit of more pixel diminishes quickly, unless you have special needs for those added pixels.

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 21, 2010 16:58 |  #13

pasm365 wrote in post #11322908 (external link)
False.

Image quality is not a well defined word. More pixel only benefits when printing huge prints or cropping. If you are pixel peeping, when viewed at 100%, pictures with lower pixel count appears sharper. Thereotically, pixels are like money, the more the merrier. In reality, after 10mp, the benefit of more pixel diminishes quickly, unless you have special needs for those added pixels.

For there to be a theoretical ceiling of "10mpx is good enough for almost anything", you have to establish what those baseline needs are, like a certain print size or less.

Personally when I had the MKIII, it did not have enough resolution when I needed to crop, and it was 10mpx. I want to be able to crop a little bit anyways and still have enough for a 20x30 poster, but those were my needs, and they may not align well with others.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 21, 2010 17:22 |  #14

I have a 7D, my friend has a D300.

They have many more simalarities than differences.

Both need decent exposure to look their best, the 7d definatly can resolve more detail ( about 20-30% in reality) and can crop more, and I personaly prefer canons colour renditions but theres not much in it.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 21, 2010 17:33 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11322930 (external link)
For there to be a theoretical ceiling of "10mpx is good enough for almost anything", you have to establish what those baseline needs are, like a certain print size or less.

:-) If you read the whole sentence, there is no contradiction. I've read somewhere 10mp is when digital matches film. People live with film for a long time.

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

sponsored links

3,996 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this true regarding 7D vs D300?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.