Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 22 Nov 2010 (Monday) 00:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 22, 2010 00:54 |  #1

Went down to Virginia over the weekend to visit a friend and while we were down there decided to stop by the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center. The museum is in a hanger outside of Dulles International Airport and it houses the larger exhibits for the Air and Space Museum. The museum is pretty awesome to go see but the only problem is its very crowded so its difficult sometimes to get good shots of the different exhibits.

Shot these with a D3 w 28-70 f2.8 aperture priority mode f4 ISO 3200 and just for fun some were taken with my iPhone 4. Let me know what you think.

1 - SR-71 Blackbird

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5194344416_daa56d96e8_o.jpg

2 - Vought F4U-ID Corsair
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/5193745301_7988b91035_o.jpg

3 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21F
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5193745637_f1b1f00066_o.jpg

4 - Space Shuttle Enterprise
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5193745577_db2f49e981_o.jpg

5 - Enola Gay - B-29 Superfortress that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/5194344550_266236fe34_o.jpg

6 - SR-71 - Not the greatest shot, just tried messing around with some levels and filters.
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5193745327_cf91e77430_o.jpg

A few more shots found here (external link)

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 22, 2010 02:50 |  #2

Nice Set...

I strongly believe they set the UHC the way they did to discourage photography. It truly sux...

Just MHO...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Stargazerfrank
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 22, 2010 07:30 |  #3

nice pics I'd love to see a Mig 21 fly and I did see a SR71 fly once in the early 90s.

Canon T3I 6D 24-105L 100-400L Canon 430EX
my pics
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/58987754@N06/a​lbums/with/72157669383​175216

northpointphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 22, 2010 12:31 |  #4

Thanks for the comments

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11325261 (external link)
Nice Set...

I strongly believe they set the UHC the way they did to discourage photography. It truly sux...

Just MHO...

I actually said the same thing to my friend while I was there. There are certain exhibits (mainly the Enterprise and Blackbird) that are displayed by themselves that allow for some really nice shots but the rest of the exhibits I was interested in nice shots of (Enola Gay, Concord, Tomcat, etc) were terribly placed for photography.

The one funny thing my friend pointed out sitting in one of the far back corners of the hanger there was a giant 6'x3' soft box with huge spedotron head on a wheeled stand. So someone gets to take the good shots there. Just not the general public.

Russell
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 22, 2010 12:50 |  #5

northpointphoto wrote in post #11327150 (external link)
I actually said the same thing to my friend while I was there. There are certain exhibits (mainly the Enterprise and Blackbird) that are displayed by themselves that allow for some really nice shots but the rest of the exhibits I was interested in nice shots of (Enola Gay, Concord, Tomcat, etc) were terribly placed for photography.

The one funny thing my friend pointed out sitting in one of the far back corners of the hanger there was a giant 6'x3' soft box with huge spedotron head on a wheeled stand. So someone gets to take the good shots there. Just not the general public.

The last two books I've seen published on the NASM were full of images that were heavily photoshopped to put the subjects over white. One of them was shot entirely after hours with the writer/photographer having the run of the place from 6pm to 7am, seven days a week and she still had to rely heavily on cutting out her subjects to show them cleanly.

The tripod prohibition makes it doubly tough on the public.

I've been there twice and bagged maybe a dozen shots I like.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jimz66
999 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2010 13:07 |  #6

Jay I hate to see these comments of yours. However I have to say that is probably true to some extent for all museums. Its really hard to get around things, especially when there very close together. IE a tank museum or a RR museum is really hard to photograph. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Canon T3 base kit with 18-55 MM Kit lens plus EOS 75 to 300 Lens

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 22, 2010 13:13 |  #7

jimz66 wrote in post #11327330 (external link)
Jay I hate to see these comments of yours. However I have to say that is probably true to some extent for all museums. Its really hard to get around things, especially when there very close together. IE a tank museum or a RR museum is really hard to photograph. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Not saying it's not worth visiting. I spent most of my first visit with my jaw dragging the ground. The history that surrounds you is palpable! As with the rest of the Smithsonian, it's a world-class visitors attraction.

Any negativity stems strictly from a photographer's point of view. There are several key aircraft where it would be nice to get a cleaner look at them without a wingtip here, a tail there, etc... Some sections are just un shootable without either five-digit ISO or a tripod (which are prohibited.)

By all means, go see it if you get the chance. Their bookstore/gift shop alone is worth a trip. Just don't expect to bag many photos that don't look like what the rest of civilization has already shot. C'est La Vie...

Jay

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 22, 2010 13:20 |  #8

ISAP was there a few years ago along with the photographers from Smithsonian. It is not an easy place to shoot in. We were allowed to bring in Tripods and extra lighting if we had it. And even then the scale of the place makes shooting a major undertaking. I have some interesting images shot there but even the inhouse guys acknowlege that it is tough. FYI the security staff kept giving us the stink eye and insisted on searching EVERY bag that was brought in.. imagine 150 pro shooters from around the globe. It was fun tho.

BTW even tho Jay would love to get "clean" shots of the AC. The only time that is possible is when they are being removed for replacement or cleaning. Once the are attached to the ceiling they really do stay up there for years. Very few ever get moved. We also got set loose at the Garber Facility.. NOW that was a blast. I got to see the lunar cars up close, the same with Migs, the wings for a Sea Dart. Also got meet Scott Willey, who just working on a SPAD wing spar set that was nearly 100 yo.. just like it was a balsa model.

The Garber facility also has the Convair XFY-1 pogo.. I used to throw rocks at it when it was parked in the parking lot at Norfolk Navel Airstation.. It was a great landing platform for the local Seabuzzards.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

jimz66
999 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2010 14:06 |  #9

You threw rocks at the Pogo?! WTF Man SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Canon T3 base kit with 18-55 MM Kit lens plus EOS 75 to 300 Lens

596 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 22, 2010 21:55 |  #10

hard place to shoot.. but I really liked the last one.. sr-71.. in shadow.. sweet..

Body: Canon 7d - gripped | Canon Xsi - gripped |
Glass: 16-35 f 2.8L | 24-70 f2.8L | 70-200 f2.8L| 100 F2.8 L Macro| 50mm f/1.2L|for sale 50mm f 1.4
Flash: 580EX II (x2) | Battery Pack CP-E4
www.MaltesePhotography​.com (external link)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 22, 2010 22:38 |  #11

jimz66 wrote in post #11327696 (external link)
You threw rocks at the Pogo?! WTF Man SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT? It had seabuzards on it!! Covered in crap, NOBODY liked the thing and it was stuck in a parking lot. I was a navy brat. But when the gang at Garber got it they cleaned it up and sealed it good so it won't rust so much.

The tires were flat and it listed on one side, and worst was the fact that there was a 6' chain link fence around it. The saying was to protect the public in case it fell over LOL.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

northpointphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 23, 2010 22:23 |  #12

Thanks for all the comments. I never got to make it to the Garber Center before it stopped allowing the public in but the UHC is actually building a new wing where they will be doing all the restorations and it will be open to the public. Im not sure when that is supposed to be completed but hopefully before I ship out.

jimz66 wrote in post #11327330 (external link)

I actually had to shoot tanks down at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland when they were packing them up and moving them to the new Army Ordinance Museum. The problem I found with the tanks there is they had them all lined up in rows so all the photos turned out pretty boring and the same.

I was actually covering the story for the paper when they moved the 70 ton German Elefant tank (external link) (The tank in the link is the tank I was covering). The literally took two cranes and picked it up (quite impressive). I might have to post some of them up later.

007 wrote in post #11330316 (external link)
hard place to shoot.. but I really liked the last one.. sr-71.. in shadow.. sweet..

Thanks. I actually just adjusted some of the levels and WB and ran it through Topaz Adjust "Ghost" filter.

Russell

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2010 22:27 as a reply to  @ northpointphoto's post |  #13

I can see a lot of cool geometry with a long line of tanks...

Gun Barrels, Tracks, Fenders, Turrets... Sounds like fun! :D

Jay

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2010 14:50 |  #14

That last shot is actually pretty awesome, just looks like it's slightly tilted to the left

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

northpointphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 26, 2010 10:27 |  #15

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11336942 (external link)
I can see a lot of cool geometry with a long line of tanks...

Gun Barrels, Tracks, Fenders, Turrets... Sounds like fun! :D

I pulled the photos from that shoot off my computer at work and Ill get them posted up later today.

mikekelley wrote in post #11340176 (external link)
That last shot is actually pretty awesome, just looks like it's slightly tilted to the left

Thanks. The plane is actually leaning to the right :cool:

The walkways in the background were sloped with the bottom walkway starting low on the left and going higher to the right which gives the illusion its slanted to the left.

Russell

sponsored links

3,827 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.