Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

With speedlight mods and systems evolving why go strobe?

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:01 |  #1

I recently attended a workshop hosted by Joe McNally and I was honeslty amazed at what he was able to do with just speedlights and CLS.
he has really nice soft, octa and strip boxes for his speedlight, snoots I mean honestly you name it.
So the question is.
Unless you need the recycle rate or longevity of the studio strobe why go with one?
From what I have seen and been practicing the newer flash systems are really impressive and the ability to go ttl when needed is really amazing. being able to chance zones and EC right from the camera is also a great advantage.

What are your thoughts?

Running list of pros for speedlight
Portability
CLS ( or Canon alternative)

Running list of Pros for Studio strobe
Power
modeling light
ability to fill large modifiers with 1 light
Longevity
recycle rate.
Cost

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2010 15:05 |  #2

Power, power, power. and modeling lights.

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:07 |  #3

What he said. I don't know how many speedlights you will need to fill a 7 foot octa, for example.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 23, 2010 15:08 |  #4

midnight_rider wrote in post #11334574 (external link)
Unless you need the recycle rate or longevity of the studio strobe why go with one?

2 very good reasons right there, plus you won't compete with the sun at noon on a sunny day with a speedlight. Modifiers are a very good reason too, plus price. For the price of a speedlight, you can buy a pretty decent studio light

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:12 |  #5

And don't forget, PocketWizards is bringing TTL to strobes (Elinchrom RX and Einstein).

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,843 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:13 |  #6

modifier selection

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:19 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #11334605 (external link)
Power, power, power. and modeling lights.

True, The modeling light can be very helpful.

Seanzky wrote in post #11334616 (external link)
What he said. I don't know how many speedlights you will need to fill a 7 foot octa, for example.

Light is light and how you make it spread is solely up to you. I have seen people use tinfoil in their modifiers to get speedlights to reflect enough light. Now it is true that is can not nativity have the same spread but that can be corrected be bouncing the light or adding more lights.

hawk911 wrote in post #11334628 (external link)
2 very good reasons right there, plus you won't compete with the sun at noon on a sunny day with a speedlight. Modifiers are a very good reason too, plus price. For the price of a speedlight, you can buy a pretty decent studio light

True the Sun can be a pain. I am not even sure if a AB400 can fight the Sun. may need a minimum of a 800 watt light

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:20 |  #8

windpig wrote in post #11334670 (external link)
modifier selection

This is quickly changing.

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:24 |  #9

midnight_rider wrote in post #11334707 (external link)
Light is light and how you make it spread is solely up to you. I have seen people use tinfoil in their modifiers to get speedlights to reflect enough light. Now it is true that is can not nativity have the same spread but that can be corrected be bouncing the light or adding more lights.

No, I meant how would you fill up a huge octa such as a seven footer with speedlights? Would that endeavor be worth while? Using your example, how much tinfoil would you need for a seven foot light source?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2010 15:26 |  #10

midnight_rider wrote in post #11334707 (external link)

Yeah but you are talking about defocusing a focused lens on a $400 speedlight to do the same thing you can achieve with a $250 strobe that has twice the power. I get that there is an appeal to the strobist route, but its arguments like this that frustrate me. Pick the tool thats best for you, but dont oversell the capacity of your method. At some point there are better tools for the job at hand. I have a strobist setup, and alien bees with a vagabond and use them both as the situtation calls for it.

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 23, 2010 15:27 |  #11

midnight_rider wrote in post #11334712 (external link)
This is quickly changing.

Won't change fast enough for most of us. Power and Modifier selection, recycle time. Over 200 full power shots in sunlight comes to mind. I mean the list goes on and on. Speedlites, last i checked - aren't cheap. $425. that's entering Elinchrom D-lite territory.

Why would i bother with 16 speedlites (Like Joe Mc. does) when i can bring a Quadra system or Ranger RX and do the same? Just doesn't make sense. You think dealing with Quadra batteries sucks? How about dealing with 64 AA batteries? Sure that's an extreme example, but he's toted that around before.... much to my amusement.

Anyhow, horses for courses. You want to fill a 7ft octa with 8 speedlites, that's your choice. I'll happily bring my Ranger single head out.

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:29 |  #12

Seanzky wrote in post #11334660 (external link)
And don't forget, PocketWizards is bringing TTL to strobes (Elinchrom RX and Einstein).

Yes, A much welcomed improvement. :D

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 23, 2010 15:32 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #11334738 (external link)
Yeah but you are talking about defocusing a focused lens on a $400 speedlight to do the same thing you can achieve with a $250 strobe that has twice the power. I get that there is an appeal to the strobist route, but its arguments like this that frustrate me. Pick the tool thats best for you, but dont oversell the capacity of your method. At some point there are better tools for the job at hand. I have a strobist setup, and alien bees with a vagabond and use them both as the situtation calls for it.

right... you can turn a screw with a knife, but a screwdriver gets it done more efficiently. but the knife works just fine on my kids toys...

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:32 |  #14

Seanzky wrote in post #11334732 (external link)
No, I meant how would you fill up a huge octa such as a seven footer with speedlights? Would that endeavor be worth while? Using your example, how much tinfoil would you need for a seven foot light source?

Personally I would just accept that a 7' modifier is not reasonable for my speedlight and go with with easier options. :lol:

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:33 |  #15

The question really is: Why get multiple speedlights when a single Quadra head can do the job? (The reverse of this thread's intended question.)

Portability? No. Size? No. Convenience? No. Price? No. Recycle time? No.

So it's 400ws strobe that fits in your pocket versus multiple speedlights that add up to 400ws that won't.

sponsored links

4,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
With speedlight mods and systems evolving why go strobe?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.