Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 00:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In contact with a newspaper... what comes next?

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 25, 2010 00:09 |  #1

A couple hours ago there was an apartment fire and I happened to live close enough that I could grab my camera and snap a few dozens photos. I wouldn't say any of them are one-in-a-million shots, but I contacted the local daily and sent a few low-res samples to a reporter. The reporter liked the pictures enough to forward them to a couple of editors who'll be taking a look at them tomorrow (they're gone for the night already). In the event that they do contact me and want to run one of my photos, what should I expect to happen next? I imagine I'll have to negotiate a price and terms of usage -- will this be verbal or will there be paper/emails involved? And when it comes to payment do I bill them or will they take care of it all?

Also, I shoot for my university's newspaper as well and will be submitting it to my editor. When negotiating with the local paper, should I push to maintain copyright of my image so that the university paper can print the same/similar photo? Is this considered double-dipping and is it unethical?

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 25, 2010 00:22 |  #2

Most newspapers and media outlets have specific contracts which they asks photographers to sign up. I would be inclined to say to them that the terms for use of these pictures are non-exclusive so you can use them elsewhere.

My first major press job saw me supply all the major TV and Newspaper companies in Australia. I had no previous agreements in place with any of them at the time. I was the only photographer on hand at a major bus crash and ended up supplying just about all of them with pictures.

After I had done this many of the companies kept me on their books as a freelancer and I ended up getting regular work from two or three major newspapers. At this point I signed up to the various contracts that they had for freelancers.

For standard work most press agencies have a standard rate they will pay for a picture and normally they but rights to use them within their media group. Chances are whoever owns the newspaper also owns several others and probably a few TV news stations.

If you have an exclusive shots though and it is big news (in my case it was) then you can expect to be paid more. If one paper has shots of a major event and another does not the paper that doesn't appears to the general public as if it cannot keep up so to speak.

Peter

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2010 18:21 |  #3

Bend over. Newspapers dictate terms, take it or leave it. My only insistence was that they license the image for a single use in their own paper, additional usage by negotiation. Probably doesn't matter much for a local paper/fire.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 26, 2010 19:02 |  #4

I would expect a by-line...

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

Jigglypuff
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2010 16:50 |  #5

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, though expected, the newspaper did not get back in touch with me and rather had one of their staffers take a picture of the building the day after. Bummer.

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 27, 2010 19:37 |  #6

It wasn't really huge news... Catch the mayor with a hooker and you might get a few bucks...

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

mcain
132 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 28, 2010 14:53 |  #7

gravy graffix wrote in post #11355550 (external link)
It wasn't really huge news... Catch the mayor with a hooker and you might get a few bucks...

:lol:

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2010 06:12 |  #8

lol gravy, so true. newspaper gigs i personally have found to be a joke at best.

60D | EFS 17-55 2.8 IS | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto 190XPROB

www.HastyPhoto.com (external link)
www.etsy.com/shop/Hast​yPhoto (external link)
www.facebook.com/HastyPhoto (external link)

mobileman
118 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 29, 2010 09:30 as a reply to  @ HastyPhoto's post |  #9

Newspapers are struggling just to keep the door open. Their primary income (advertising) is drying up. If they can't get it for free or close to it they won't spend the money.

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2010 15:39 as a reply to  @ mobileman's post |  #10

Be aware in the future that newspapers are notorious for rights-grabs. Their staff photographers are work-for-hire, so the paper owns everything they shoot while on the job, and some papers have lucrative resale business.

The Wife and I are both journalism vets, so know all about this. This past year she provided some swim team photos to the local paper as a service to the team, which our daughter competes on. Within 24 hours the paper was selling them online via the website. It took several calls before they accepted that we hadn't transferred copyright to them, and only granted a one-time editorial license. So be vigilant.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

sponsored links

1,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
In contact with a newspaper... what comes next?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.