Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Handstrap use question

ccp900
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 25, 2010 08:27 |  #1

ok this will sound real stupid....but, how the heck do you use a handstrap...i just cant get it. i put it on the camera then i move my hand in....now i cant get to the controls. i loosen it enough so i have enough wiggle room to reach the controls, now its too loose to be of any use.

am i too dim to make this work LOL!

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

sponsored links
TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 25, 2010 10:09 |  #2

Handstraps do restrict your finger movement a bit, but I can easily fire, spin dials, and click the buttons on my 1d2n using a handstrap. It just takes a little bit of relearning.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,331 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2010 10:12 |  #3

it'll take some time getting use to it but once you get the hang of it you'll never use those dangling strap again.

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 25, 2010 10:24 |  #4

I use a handstrap with my xsi --- it's gripped and has a 430exii mounted on it. It's a little tricky to change aperture settings, usually requires taking my hand out of the strap or i use both hands to do it.

Like the previous posters said, it takes some getting used to. All worth it imo.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

ccp900
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 25, 2010 10:27 |  #5

i see....time to practice then LOL..

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 13, 2011 22:20 |  #6

There's a happy medium between the camera falling from the hand versus cutting blood flow off to your fingers.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2011 15:15 |  #7

3 point attachment strap, the one that wraps around the wrist could be more of a use as you should be able to lose it so it's comfortable whilst it still stays securely attached to the hand.
I use Nikon AH-4 II, there a plenty on ebay, it's similar to this one, just slightly redesigned/imporved
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Fhda8OdZ4yY (external link)

And the review of the original one.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …her-Hand-Grip-Review.aspx (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 14, 2011 15:20 |  #8

ccp900 wrote in post #11344337 (external link)
i see....time to practice then LOL..

I adjust mine so that if I hold my hand out straight and just let the camera hang there's about 3/4" of space between my hand and the body of the camera. That leaves it loose enough to reach the controls but still tight enough that the strap takes some of the weight when I'm walking around.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 14, 2011 15:24 |  #9

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #12018828 (external link)
3 point attachment strap, the one that wraps around the wrist could be more of a use as you should be able to lose it so it's comfortable whilst it still stays securely attached to the hand.
I use Nikon AH-4 II, there a plenty on ebay, it's similar to this one, just slightly redesigned/imporved
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Fhda8OdZ4yY (external link)

And the review of the original one.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …her-Hand-Grip-Review.aspx (external link)

I tried one of those and hated it. Too bulky and too cumbersome to get your hand in and out of it.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Nathan
So boring
7,718 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 14, 2011 15:31 |  #10

I've shied away from handstraps because I don't know whether I would be comfortable using it with a grip.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 14, 2011 16:10 |  #11

I use one and wouldn't be without it, but I only put three fingers through the strap. That leaves the forefinger free to reach the top buttons and the thumb for the rear ones...it works for me.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 15, 2011 10:38 |  #12

krb wrote in post #12018893 (external link)
I tried one of those and hated it. Too bulky and too cumbersome to get your hand in and out of it.

Did you own that specific one - "AH-4 II"? Putting hand in might be a bit more cumbersome than into 2 point design but it's glued to the hand after that. Good alternative to neck or shoulder strap, I wouldn't dare to carry camera with 2 points design alone as you can't release the grip on the camera w/o it slipping out, same as carrying it in bare hand making functional benefit of such grip rather questionable, not to mention unsafe.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 15, 2011 11:40 |  #13

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #12024281 (external link)
Did you own that specific one - "AH-4 II"? Putting hand in might be a bit more cumbersome than into 2 point design but it's glued to the hand after that.

Yes, that's the one I tried and "glued to the hand" is what I didn't like about it. Ever seen a cat with a piece of tape stuck to its paw? That's how I felt.

I wouldn't dare to carry camera with 2 points design alone as you can't release the grip on the camera w/o it slipping out, same as carrying it in bare hand making functional benefit of such grip rather questionable, not to mention unsafe.

As somebody who uses the 2 point designs I can assure you that the camera stays attached to my hand when I want it to. With the fingers curved naturally so the finger tips are between the lens and the bulge of the grip area the strap across the back of the hand is enough to keep the camera on your hand. But the camera can easily be set down or put back in the camera bag by simply straightening the fingers.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 15, 2011 15:19 |  #14

krb wrote in post #12024606 (external link)
Ever seen a cat with a piece of tape stuck to its paw?

So that's the story behind your avatar.

Roy

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 15, 2011 15:36 |  #15

rvdw98 wrote in post #12025898 (external link)
So that's the story behind your avatar.

:lol:

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

2,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
Handstrap use question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.