Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you let others post process your work?

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 25, 2010 18:54 |  #1

As a disclaimer, I am just an enthusiast - not a pro. I am shooting my cousin's wedding in a week along with a few other friends/cousins. One of them promised to make an album for the bride and the groom. He is asking for photo donations from the other people with DSLRs.

Now, I have no problem sharing any of my work, especially with friends and family - but - he is demanding the files in RAW so he can do all the post processing. I told him that I prefer to do all the post processing. It is my work and I would like it to look like my work.

A mind fight over email ensued.

Am I being too prideful in wanting to have control of my work? Have you guys run into this before? I know in the pro world, you sometimes get paid to take shots and hand over the memory cards. But, in a more personal scenario, what are your thoughts?

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

sponsored links
35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 25, 2010 18:58 |  #2

He might want to PP the images himself so all the PP is pretty similar. Or he might want to PP the images so he can say,"he did all the hard work." Or some crazy other idea. In the end its up too you if you want to give him the raw files, I would, but I would also PP the images the way I want for my own portfolio.

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 25, 2010 19:05 |  #3

I guess I should add one other caveat. This guy is a strait gear head. The kind that has 4L primes, 70-200 f/2.8IS, and a 5DMkII, but he shoots mostly in Green Square mode and Aperture Priority in low light. He doesn't care to learn photography or light theory.

So part of my fears he may make my shots look like garbage.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 25, 2010 19:13 |  #4

What reasoning does he give for not wanting you to do your own processing?

ash.m
260 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 25, 2010 19:16 |  #5

'demanding' on something you are 'donating' ?

1Dmk3 | 7D | 400D | 20 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8 L | 580EXmkII | Poverty Wizards Wishlist: Talent | Time | Lightingash milne photography (external link) | facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 25, 2010 19:21 |  #6

Roroco wrote in post #11346189 (external link)
So part of my fears he may make my shots look like garbage.

Then dont give them to him=p

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 25, 2010 19:26 |  #7

As a general rule, I don't allow others to post process my images. I guess you need to come to an agreement with him regarding the use of your images for the bridge and groom. Ultimately, they are your images and you can restrict there use however you want.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 25, 2010 19:27 |  #8

I'm not being funny but maybe you should seek out a course on assertiveness.

David

David

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 25, 2010 19:40 |  #9

Woodworker wrote in post #11346293 (external link)
I'm not being funny but maybe you should seek out a course on assertiveness.

David

You got that from a post asking your thoughts? I have no issues with assertiveness. At 6'5: 270lbs, bald, goatied, and a slightly obnoxious personality... I have never been mistaken for timid.

Maybe you should take a course on internet psychology.

Roger

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 25, 2010 19:45 |  #10

jra wrote in post #11346217 (external link)
What reasoning does he give for not wanting you to do your own processing?

His words

"All I ask is getting access to your shots (in RAW) pre-processing so that I can let them choose what they they like and I will put my spin on the processing after. No offense to anyone but I don't want your post-processing shot and if they're in JPG, then I will pass as there's not much I can do to the photos. "

Roger

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 25, 2010 20:21 |  #11

Roroco wrote in post #11346354 (external link)
His words

"All I ask is getting access to your shots (in RAW) pre-processing so that I can let them choose what they they like and I will put my spin on the processing after. No offense to anyone but I don't want your post-processing shot and if they're in JPG, then I will pass as there's not much I can do to the photos. "

Have you seen any of his work? And his thoughts that he can do nothing with a JPEG is pure BS, as I have had magazine stuff published from JPEGS along with catalog and other stuff, and it just rocked when processed properly.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

Yaamon
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 25, 2010 20:27 as a reply to  @ Bosscat's post |  #12

You should ask to see some of his post process work.

Say show me some raw and then the processed photos. If he does a good job I would give him the raw files.

I presume your cousin knows that the photos are not all coming from him but everyone, so everyone gets credit for the photos too.

Will he mention photos are supplied by and list the names?

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 26, 2010 05:30 |  #13

I think that it would be a tough decision. On one hand, it's your cousin's wedding and you're not shooting for hire. Not to mention that I doubt that you want to seem like the disagreeable one in the family causing problems....plus it's a nice thing to do.
On the other hand, they are your photos and you should really be the creator of them from start to finish IMO. IMO, it would make the album more unique and special if each contributor created their own images.
If it were me, I guess I would hand over my completed JPG images to the person creating the album. Politely tell them that I prefer to create my images from start to finish.....if he wants to use them then that's great.....if not, well that's his call. I would then provide the images to the bride and groom since that's who you were really shooting for in the first place.

oweng
106 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 26, 2010 06:03 |  #14

Pride is at stake, don't do it. No doubt if they are good he'll try and take the credit.

PP em yourself and send him the jpegs.

http://500px.com/oweng (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2010 07:10 |  #15

Personally I wouldn't give up my RAW files as I would prefer my work to remain mine and have my "look" to it (ie fairly low amounts of editing as I like the natural look). I would not allow anyone else to edit them unless I knew from previous experience they would be of a similar mind.

Give him your processed Jpegs - then it is up to him.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links

3,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you let others post process your work?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.