Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 21:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what ink to use on epson R1900

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 25, 2010 21:54 |  #1

I just brought a Epson R1900 printer. I do not know if I should stick with Epson Ink or go with 3rd party CIS ink.
First what ink do this printer use (pigment or dye)?
2nd. what CIS is good? Closest color match to epson ink and reasonal price (under 200.00).
I am just confused with all the CIS systems and price range from 80.00ebay to 300.00.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

sponsored links
brlowe
149 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 25, 2010 22:21 |  #2

I have a 1900 and think it is a great printer. It does like to drink ink fast. One thing to save ink is when one color runs out change it plus any others that are low at the same time. The reason is because when you change any it primes them all so those that were low now need to be replaced. Having said that I'm on my third set of ink and I'm getting ready to order an Inkjetfly Bigfoot CIS system and see how it goes. It costs less than two ink sets and has ten times the ink. I will use my spider print to create printer profiles for the ink.

To answer your question it uses pigment inks.

Brandon

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 26, 2010 00:22 |  #3

You might want to have a read on a thread I did on a CIS system on my r1800.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=458729

After trying it, followed by a huge FAIL. I switched back to the epson inks and am soooooo much happier. You will never be able to replicate the exact same color, saturation and pop as with the epson inks. Yes they might be pricey but hey if you want the same results you gotta pay the price. Printing at home is going to run you much more then if you have a place like mpix.com, bayphoto.com adoramapix.com do the print and send it to you. But what I will say is that the waste bottle from the CIS system is a very useful thing. That allows the ink from when you do nozzle check to be dumped out into the little bottle outside of the print then you can dump it down the sink or wherever you feel is safe, that way the internal tank does not get filled and the printer has to be serviced and a new tank installed. Hope this helps you out.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 26, 2010 06:13 |  #4

Agree with S.E.V. In the light of my experiences with my old 1290 and CIS inks, I stick with Epson for the 1990.

Elie / אלי

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 26, 2010 06:30 |  #5

Since experiencing massive clogging issues while using "reputable" third party inks on a previous Epson I stick with the real stuff, expensive as it is.

But I do search for the best deal online I can find because prices seem to vary dramatically.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 26, 2010 10:18 |  #6

I get lucky when I get my inks I live about 20min away from CanogaCamera and the epson r1800 inks sell for around $12.00 compared to officedepot which is around $15.00. But I not have to change them that often, for some reason the r1800 does not drink ink like crazy. I was able to print a ton of 13x19 prints along with a good amount a 4x6 and 5x7 prints before my inks needed changing. Also the clogging issues with the epson inks are very minimal. I think i didn't print for like three months and it never clogged, I did a head cleaning and nozzle check before I printed and it was fine.

Also the mess factor with the epson inks is ZERO as where the CIS systems run the rick of a leaky line or fail connection, once that happens forget it pigment ink is very very hard to clean!

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 26, 2010 10:53 |  #7

Also... seeing that you just bought the printer... third party ink will usually void your warranty. You might want to wait until it's out of warranty, then shop around for alternatives.

Ink prices are absurd! I hope some day one of the manufacturers realizes the opportunity here... To woo away customers from others by offering a more cost efficient printer. There's really no reason that printers shouldn't be fitted with larger, less costly ink cartridges.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2010 11:58 |  #8

The problem is that consumer deskjet printer companies got into cutthroat competitive practices back in the mid-to-late '90s -- cheap printers flooding the markets and the business model became to either give the printers away or price them under cost or close to it -- anything to keep a market share. The profits came from ink, and that was about it.

On the higher-end printers you can get higher-volume more cost-efficient ink supplies, but for OEM inks you are still paying for research and development because of the pressure to make inks "better". third-party vendors don't operate with that pressure and business model, which is why they are cheaper and of questionable usefulness to "serious" photo printers.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

czynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 26, 2010 13:00 |  #9

Ink nowaday are getting smaller and smaller. I seen some HP ink tank size of my thumb and cost more than before. Everyone is correct. orginal ink maybe best for the printer but cost per page gone up so much that it is not worth printing it. I prefer pay 200.00 CIS ink tank and not worry about printing cost or ink low.
I used ebay CIS system on my 2200 for 1 year and no problem. Only thing I worry is that the ink will clog the head.
I also used ebay CIS on my RX580 for 2 yrs but it did clog the head. Who say epson ink wont clog the heads anyway. I dont care if 100.00 printer clogs up but I do care if 500.00 printer clogs.
It just that CIS ink system price range so widely, I am overwhelm. I would pay abit extra for branded CIS systems because of user feedback and close match to OEM ink. Every 3rd party Company saying their ink wont clog. But this is going to be pigment ink and they Will more likely to clog than dye.
I pinpointed down to inkrepublic or inkjetfly. They are not much more than ebay. Anyone used these ink before? and how they compare to OEM ink?

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

sponsored links

3,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
what ink to use on epson R1900
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.