Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 13:38
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which mode?"
A-DEP
0.1%
M
31.1%
Av
58.2%
Tv
3.5%
P
5.4%
Green Box
1%
Portrait
0.1%
Landscape
0.3%
Macro
0.1%
Sport
0.1%

705 voters, 705 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whate mode do you shoot in the most?

jb1911
492 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 28, 2010 17:24 |  #76

krb wrote in post #11359197 (external link)
You're kinda missing the point. M doesn't give more control, it gives more consistancy. The decision for M vs Av/Tv should be made based on whether or not you want that consistency.

Please explain.

7D/BG-E7 - 580EXII - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - in a Domke F-2RW
http://www.banpuppymil​ls.com/ (external link)
I like to keep a bottle of liquor handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~ W C Fields ~

sponsored links
TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 28, 2010 17:27 |  #77

LamontSanders wrote in post #11354300 (external link)
What??? No green box love?

Av.

being a newbie... i put it on the green box.. then let it set so i can see the settings.. then play from there.. gives me a starting point...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 28, 2010 19:31 |  #78

But what about "Flash Off" and "Night Portrait" modes?

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 28, 2010 19:33 |  #79

Manual..of course

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 28, 2010 19:38 |  #80

poll like this helps a newbie like myself out.. i get to see what most others are using and that helps me learn to focus on that area some... i tried sports (it didnt work good) and night portrait.... but without a good lens for it (pre 85 1.8) it turned out horrid on kit lens

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Nov 28, 2010 19:39 |  #81

jb1911 wrote in post #11359875 (external link)
Please explain.

If you are shooting a scene and the lighting is staying exactly the same then the exposure settings should stay the same, right? If you are shooting in Av or Tv then the camera will change the exposure settings depending on whether the people moving through that scene are wearing dark or light colored clothing.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 28, 2010 21:00 |  #82

jb1911 wrote in post #11359875 (external link)
Please explain.

M does not give MORE control then Av/Tv, because in Av/Tv you can adjust the Exposure Compensation thereby getting the same result as M. They have the same amount of control.

M is more consistent because it does not change anything on you, if you select 1/200 f/5.6, it will stay there unlike Av where 1/200 might change to 1/50 (which you could bump up the EC+ to match 1/200). If the lighting is the same, then why not get the correct settings and leave it there?

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

RebelYellXS
59 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 29, 2010 00:00 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #83

M when the time and situation permits. However, when in a hurry to get the picture, P is a setting I'll go to.. Then, if given a chance for more shots, I can make changes that will allow for my artistic input..

J.J.
50D|70-200 f/4 L |18-200 IS

jb1911
492 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 29, 2010 14:06 |  #84

DStanic wrote in post #11361006 (external link)
M does not give MORE control then Av/Tv, because in Av/Tv you can adjust the Exposure Compensation thereby getting the same result as M. They have the same amount of control.

M is more consistent because it does not change anything on you, if you select 1/200 f/5.6, it will stay there unlike Av where 1/200 might change to 1/50 (which you could bump up the EC+ to match 1/200). If the lighting is the same, then why not get the correct settings and leave it there?

krb wrote in post #11360610 (external link)
If you are shooting a scene and the lighting is staying exactly the same then the exposure settings should stay the same, right? If you are shooting in Av or Tv then the camera will change the exposure settings depending on whether the people moving through that scene are wearing dark or light colored clothing.

Gotcha and thank you.

7D/BG-E7 - 580EXII - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - in a Domke F-2RW
http://www.banpuppymil​ls.com/ (external link)
I like to keep a bottle of liquor handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~ W C Fields ~

Ken_Rockwell
65 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 29, 2010 14:56 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

Honestly, its pointless to use M mode if you are zeroing out the exposure meter anyways.

Why not have it in Av/Tv mode and use EC and lock exposure if you are afraid of the exposure changing.

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 29, 2010 15:04 |  #86

Ken_Rockwell wrote in post #11364987 (external link)
Honestly, its pointless to use M mode if you are zeroing out the exposure meter anyways.

Why not have it in Av/Tv mode and use EC and lock exposure if you are afraid of the exposure changing.

How about if you want to take many shots using the same exact exposure?
Examples; panoramas and indoor sports

Not pointless to use M that way at all ...

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 29, 2010 15:05 |  #87

green square on my 5D II!! :lol:

usually M or AV

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Nov 29, 2010 15:13 |  #88

There's a difference between zeroing out the meter for every shot vs zeroing out the meter with the camera pointed at an 18% gray card and then leaving it there for as long as you are under that same lighting. Zeroing it for every shot is just Av/Tv with more work. Zeroing it once and then leaving it there is consistent exposure over a series of shots, regardless of what the subjects are wearing.

If you think that holding the AE lock button down during an entire event (even a small one that only lasts 3-4 hours) is a good idea then your choice of screen name makes perfect sense.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 29, 2010 15:13 |  #89

If you consider what people have said right above you about consistency, it shouldn't be all that hard to recognize why there are many scenarios where that would be a benefit, and fighting with another mode to keep your exposure values the same would be a headache. Why bother, when you can set up your optimal exposure for the scene/lighting and then just shoot away?

On the other hand, there are scenarios when Av or Tv or even P can give good results with less hassle than M. this is why there are multiple modes on our cameras! It's not that one is always better than the others, but that we can choose what to work with when it fits.

I advocate people learning to shoot in all modes so they can make an educated, experienced choice when the scene calls for it.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Brennan.M
Goldmember
2,599 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 29, 2010 15:14 |  #90

AV if not M

www.qualityimagesupply​.com (external link)
Leica M3 | Mamiya 7 | Fuji X-Pro1

sponsored links

17,877 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whate mode do you shoot in the most?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.