Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 21:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your most impact filled photo.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 28, 2010 21:18 |  #1

Whether it is of a person, landscape, nature or whatever. Post a photo that you feel has the most impact of your collection. Also please tell your settings and what made you take the shot the way that you did.
I will contribute as soon as windows reinstalls...........:(

This is a thread to share images and knowledge please remain respectful.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

sponsored links
Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Dec 05, 2010 20:05 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Well someone's got to start. I didn't search deep, but I like this one.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4856849670_7b90c3a458_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/aidav/485684967​0/  (external link)
HK Harbour 73.8MP Pano Stitch (external link) by adrianevans (external link), on Flickr

I took 10 shots in portrait orientation on my D3s (12MP camera) to make this 73.8MP equivalent picture. It was done at 24mm if I remember correctly and probably f/11. It was handheld too. ;)

This one is pretty cool too.
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5016014535_bed41dbe90_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/aidav/501601453​5/  (external link)
Kwun Tong Storm 2 (external link) by adrianevans (external link), on Flickr

That one was a 3 second shot (f/11 24mm, ISO 400). I put it on top of the air conditioner shelf in my lounge (27 stories up) to get the shot, I used the self timer and mirror lockup too. So I was lucky to get it right.

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 06, 2010 10:11 as a reply to  @ Stealthy Ninja's post |  #3

That Second one is awesome.
With the speed of these new cams it really makes handheld Pano and HDR shots possible.
Well that and some skill:D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Will attach editions I find the file

EXIF.
1/125
15mm
F/3.5
Iso 3200

I took this photo because the girl really caught my eye. She was in a state that was almost trance like. Her mouth moving silently to the words of the song as to not compete with the artist entering her ear. She swayed so fluidly and uncontrollably as if in a state of musical nirvana.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 06, 2010 22:07 |  #4

What's this thread all about?

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 06, 2010 22:20 |  #5

jdizzle wrote in post #11407693 (external link)

I am hoping for people to share their photos that have impact or express something.
The slowgoingness of the thread makes me wonder if people have photos with meaning or not:confused:

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Dec 06, 2010 22:22 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

jdizzle wrote in post #11407693 (external link)

being awesome, you should understand that. ;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 06, 2010 22:23 |  #7

Ok. I guess this one has impact. I like the shutter speed captured to give it the feeling of movement. Awesome? :)

IMAGE: http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s8/v10/p69064109-4.jpg

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 06, 2010 22:30 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

^ Tis Awesome

I guess us three are (by default) the 3 most awesome on POTN. :lol:

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 06, 2010 22:30 |  #9

jdizzle wrote in post #11407771 (external link)
Ok. I guess this one has impact. I like the shutter speed captured to give it the feeling of movement. Awesome? :)
QUOTED IMAGE

Sweet shot JD.

I finally edited my own post to conform to my rules:lol:

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 06, 2010 22:31 |  #10

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #11407814 (external link)
^ Tis Awesome

I guess us three are (by default) the 3 most awesome on POTN. :lol:

Hey a win is a win:lol:

SimonParadis
59 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 08, 2010 23:04 |  #11

That would have to be my over the clouds shot.
Shot with a 18-55 lens kit and T1i/500D most probably between 18 and 24mm.
That was a shot from the airplane heading to Mexico.

http://fc01.deviantart​.net …_simonparadis-d32x25o.jpg (external link)
EDIT: quite big.. way too big. Any ways to scale that down on POTN?

more of this set can be seen here: http://simonparadis.de​viantart.com/gallery/ (external link)
Comments appreciated.

This panorama and lightning are amazing shots Stealthy.

5D3 | 35 ƒ1.4 | 85 ƒ1.4 | 24-70 ƒ2.8L | 70-200 ƒ2.8L USM | Tokina 11-16 ƒ2.8
Official photographer of Paintball Mirabel, Qc.http://paintballmirabe​l.com/photos (external link)
Add me on Facebook:::http://www.facebook.co​m/simon.paradis (external link) .. www.simonparadis.ca (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2010 23:23 |  #12

You're right -- POTN rules are 1024 pixels at the longest dimension, and that's over 1500 pixels tall!

You have two choices -- if your online host offers different viewing sizes you can pick a smaller size (many or most do but I don't know about deviantart) or, resize a version in your editing software -- you can upload it to your host site or directly to here. To do it directly, it needs to be saved at a relatively low quality -- I typically resize at 800 at the longest dimension and a quality of about 4. Then check the file size -- it can't be larger than 150Kb.

From there, in your post click the Go Advanced button and then click the little staple "Attachment icon in the toolbar, Browse, then Upload the image. Close that window then click the little arrow next to the staple and choose the jpg you uploaded and it should show up in the post window as an image ID surrounded by ATTACH tags.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 11, 2010 09:08 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

SimonParadis wrote in post #11420402 (external link)
This panorama and lightning are amazing shots Stealthy.

Thanks, appreciated man. :)

fishyone
465 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 11, 2010 09:52 as a reply to  @ Stealthy Ninja's post |  #14

I had a hard time choosing just one. This was taken in Haiti just after the Jan. 12th earthquake. Not my best photo, handheld from a moving vehicle.

IMAGE: http://creationspraise.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p280613234-4.jpg

www.creationspraise.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 11, 2010 10:55 |  #15

WARNING: Graphic image may offend.

I've never had a photo of mine cause as much controversy as this one did. This is my youngest sister after she had her mastectomy. People were shocked, disgusted, you name it. Welcome to her world.

This was published in the Orange County Register during Breast Cancer Awareness week a few years ago, along with the story that goes with it.

Cancer Isn't for Sissies

I know this photograph is hard to look at, but cancer isn’t for sissies. This photo was taken some years back after my youngest sister’s mastectomy following her diagnosis of Inflammatory Breast Cancer, a more rare and more deadly form of breast cancer. What I love about the photo is what it tells us about HER. Always a free spirited sort, the crystal pendant was a symbol of her New Age leanings. The dog tags, which belonged to our deceased uncle, an air force chaplain, symbolized her "fox hole conversion." Facing possible death, she wasn’t quite sure where the truth lay as far as an afterlife went, but wasn’t taking any chances. The crystal heart was her attempt to feminize what was left of her body, having survived the ravages of surgery, chemo and radiation. Most people don’t ever get to see what a chest looks like after a mastectomy, which is why I shot this photo. Well meaning, they say, “just be grateful you’re alive...” and will not allow the survivor to grieve the loss of their breast. One of the many lessons I learned from my warrior-sister’s cancer journey was to shut up and just listen and to recognize they will go through all the stages of grief over this loss and on their “angry” days, should be allowed to feel anger without someone minimizing their feelings by saying, “just be grateful you are alive.” They CAN be grateful and angry at the same time. Really.

Sue Cassidy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

3,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post your most impact filled photo.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.