Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Nov 2010 (Monday) 12:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need your help, SD card problem.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2010 12:58 |  #1

Hi everyone. I've searched as much as I could but I still can't find a solution to my problem. Here it goes.

I bought 2 transcend 32gb sd card. When I put them in my 60D, I get the following message :
''Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card of format card with camera''.

If I try to format it in camera, it freezes the 60D. Even when I flick it off, screen stays ON. The only way to close the camera is to remove the battery. I get the same result with both cards.

However, both cards WORK in the mother's Casio point and shot and both report 32gb. I can succefully format them in her camera and use them in her camera. But it does not work in the 60D.

I can also format them on my PC without a hitch. But it does not work in the 60D. If I lock the card, the 60D tells me the card is protected. So the 60D is recognizing the card, but cannot use it.

Any advice? Please, don't tell me I should have bought XXXX model of card, I already have some Kingston and Sandisk, the 32Gb was for backup purpose. Also don't tell me to use my other cards, I am trying to make that one works.

Any tips or program I should try on the cards?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 29, 2010 13:04 |  #2

Sorry. If it doesn't work in the camera you bought it to use in, your best bet is to take it back. The 60D is supposed to support the SDXC standard which is supposed to be backward compatible with SDHC and straight SD. If the card doesn't work straight out of the box, do you really want to force it to work then discover it's died again when you need to rely on it?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2010 13:06 |  #3

Thanks for your tip Jon. I just found it strange that it works in the Casio p&s and not in the 60D.

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2010 13:08 |  #4

I've just tried them in my girlfriend's Canon SD780 and they both work. Strange?

Hi, I'm David.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 29, 2010 13:09 |  #5

So would I, but I wouldn't waste time trying any more than you already have to get things working. I'm just risk-averse.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 29, 2010 18:31 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #11364338 (external link)
So would I, but I wouldn't waste time trying any more than you already have to get things working. I'm just risk-averse.

I have to agree. Why would you want to get something working that is this temperamental at the beginning and then trust it to bring your images home in one piece. Some battles are just not worth winning and this is definitely one of them.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 29, 2010 18:43 |  #7

Get some 8GB or 16GB cards...would you trust yourself to have 32GB of data vanish in a puff of invisible smoke, when the card malfunctions?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2010 19:31 |  #8

I've got 2x 16gb + 1x4gb.

I need the 32gb for when I'm going a long time without a computer. I want to be sure I have enough space to shoot as much as I want, without running out of memory.

Hi, I'm David.

Wilt
41,634 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 30, 2010 00:02 |  #9

Rivest wrote in post #11366484 (external link)
I've got 2x 16gb + 1x4gb.

I need the 32gb for when I'm going a long time without a computer. I want to be sure I have enough space to shoot as much as I want, without running out of memory.

So what's wrong with having 4x 16gb + 1x4gb, rather than 1x32gb+ 2x 16gb + 1x4gb ?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 30, 2010 20:56 |  #10

^^Well I guess one more card?

I like having all my work from a specific day/event on the same card. Mixing days/events on multiple card only takes more time when indexing the files later.

But I guess you are right, I should just buy 2x 16gb. The thing is, I had a sweet deal for those 32gb, I paid them the price of a 16gb card. 35$ each.

But I still don't understand how it can work in the computer, in both point and shot but not in the 60D..?

Hi, I'm David.

Wilt
41,634 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 30, 2010 23:01 |  #11

Rivest wrote in post #11373256 (external link)
But I still don't understand how it can work in the computer, in both point and shot but not in the 60D..?

I can't provide an explanantion, but I can give you a parallel story in sympathy to your plight...I had a memory card for my Canon G2 back in 2002 which was working just fine. But then something caused it to no longer be usable in the camera...you could not format the card. In a PC I could format the card, but in the camera it would still not be usable. To this day, I can format the card in a PC and I can put photos onto the card and put it into a digital picture frame, and it works fine; but not in any Canon camera!

sponsored links

5,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need your help, SD card problem.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.