Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gitzo tripods - which series?

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 01, 2010 12:31 |  #1

Hi folks,

I have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Carbon Fibre Tripod with 322RC2 "Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head"

I'd like something sturdier, something tells me I should go for the 5 series as a "tripod for life". I could always use the manfrotto for times when the Gitzo is too heavy to carry.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to try out any of the Gitzos before purchase, I have a discount voucher AND Gitzo are offering cashback when I trade in my scrap velbon. Also, VAT goes up next year, so now would be a good time to buy.

I've been looking at the GT5541LS, any thoughts
Which ball head would be best?
Thank you.

Gear

sponsored links
xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 01, 2010 14:12 |  #2

Which lens are you planning to use it with?

The Gitzo GT5541LS is a monster.

Have you considered Really Right Stuff Tripods? The TVC-23 supports 40lbs and the TVC-33 supports 50lbs.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 01, 2010 14:13 |  #3

The GT5541 is a great tripod BUT it is larger and heavier than other possible options. Its impossible to recommend anything without knowing more about what your needs are, ie what equipment will you mount on it, how far/long will you need to carry it, etc. I own a GT1541 and a GT3541XLS, the former for mtn hiking and the latter for everything else including use with a Wimberley Sidekick gimbal head mounted on an Arca Swiss Z-1 ballhead, usable for anything up to and including a 500mm lens.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,457 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 01, 2010 14:14 |  #4

xcel730 wrote in post #11377304 (external link)
The Gitzo GT5541LS is a monster, plus you have five legs to adjust.

A 5 legged tripod? What?

xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 01, 2010 14:18 |  #5

mike_d wrote in post #11377318 (external link)
A 5 legged tripod? What?

Ooops. I meant to say there are 4 sections to adjust. In other words, if he's considering the stability, he may want to get something with 3 sections. Should have been more specific.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 01, 2010 14:44 |  #6

Mark2Mark wrote in post #11376701 (external link)
I have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Carbon Fibre Tripod with 322RC2 "Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head"
I'd like something sturdier,

I have this tripod and think it is quite sturdy, and I've used it regularly with lenses to 400mm and get very sharp images. Also I find the feature of the lateral center column very useful for shots very close to the ground. I think the lack of "surdieness" you experience is with your head, not the tripod. The head you list is very convenient to adjust, but a typical (larger) ballhead can be locked down to a become much more rigid than the spring loaded grip style head you currently use:
http://www.manfrotto.c​om …Heavy_Duty_Grip​_Ball_Head (external link)

In addition, the Manfrotto style quick release plates are difficult to keep from rotating on the camera body. Friction alone is normally insufficient to prevent rotation; a camera plate (or L plate) made for your camera body with a machined lip should be used. I would start by looking at products sold by Kirk, Really Right Stuff or Markins.

I agree that to be of more help you have to describe your equipment and application in more detail. However, if you want more "sturdiness" start with a top of the line head as you already have a decent set of legs but not a sturdy head.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 01, 2010 15:06 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #7

For the holidays I am replacing my wife and my 055proB units with Gitzo GT-3531S tripods. They are lighter and stronger. If you need the extra height...GT3530LS. Combine them with a good ballhead (RRS40, RRS55, Markins Q10/Q20, Arcatech GV2, etc.) and you will have a support set that should last a lifetime.

Gitzo is running a promotion through some time in January for $40 rebate. ;)

static808
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 01, 2010 15:15 |  #8

MCAsan wrote in post #11377611 (external link)
For the holidays I am replacing my wife and my 055proB units with Gitzo GT-3531S tripods.

please, replace the tripods, but dont replace your wife! what has she done to you to deserve this??;)

Rob

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 01, 2010 18:05 as a reply to  @ static808's post |  #9

Ah yes...the better half. She is definitely a keeper!!!!!:D

After our 2 weeks in Utah...she suggested we needed lighter tripods. Naturally I did not protest...too much. ;)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2010 05:10 |  #10

Lots of useful advice - except for the fact that Mark is in the UK, where Markins, RRS, Kirk products are not easy to get hold of. What I'm sure Mark would really appreciate is some advice on which models in the Gitzo range he should be looking at.

Good ballheads are more easily obtainable. Warehouse Express do the Arca-Swiss range of Z1 ballheads and the Kirk BH-1. Bob Rigby also does A/S as well as the Acratech range.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2010 06:40 |  #11

hollis_f wrote in post #11381228 (external link)
Lots of useful advice - except for the fact that Mark is in the UK, where Markins, RRS, Kirk products are not easy to get hold of. What I'm sure Mark would really appreciate is some advice on which models in the Gitzo range he should be looking at.

Good ballheads are more easily obtainable. Warehouse Express do the Arca-Swiss range of Z1 ballheads and the Kirk BH-1. Bob Rigby also does A/S as well as the Acratech range.

Then he should provide more information. The various Gitzo tripod series are rated by focal length (e.g., the 2-series is rated for lenses up to approximately 300mm). The OP doesn't state what he's shooting, just that he's looking for a "tripod for life". If he could be more explicit, he might get better recommendations.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 02, 2010 06:59 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #12

on the Gitzo 3 series... we are using the 3531S which has a plate height of around 50 inches. If you are a taller person...or just want a taller tripod max height, consider the GT3530LS. That model has a max plate height of around 58 inches.

So you need to decide if you want a center column or not. If not, then in Gitzo you want a tripod with the "S" for systematic. That means it does not come with a column...but one could be added later. Then you need to decide on the desired height and the number of leg sections. Four leg sections will be shorter folded compared to 3 leg sections. but I don't want a thinner 4th leg section with another set of locking devices per leg. So we are staying with a 3 section leg tripod without a column to get the max stability from the sizeable investment in a top tripod and ballhead.

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 02, 2010 17:53 |  #13

MCAsan wrote in post #11381481 (external link)
............... Then you need to decide on the desired height and the number of leg sections. Four leg sections will be shorter folded compared to 3 leg sections. but I don't want a thinner 4th leg section with another set of locking devices per leg. So we are staying with a 3 section leg tripod without a column to get the max stability from the sizeable investment in a top tripod and ballhead.

Agreed but consider that I chose a 3541XLS, 90+% of the time using ONLY the topmost 3 sections extended but having that 4th section available for the infrequent but critical occasions when needed. Fully extended this thing is 6'8" tall...I can walk under it. Admittedly, its 0.6 lbs heavier and 3.6" longer folded, but it has so much more flexibility relative to the 3531LS re height (I shoot a lot in mountainous terrain) and probably is less wgt and more stable than if a center column was added to the 3531.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 02, 2010 19:57 as a reply to  @ Russ61's post |  #14

for us the reduced weight is more important that the potential added height from either a extra long 3 section tripod or a 4 section tripod. For our type of shooting, we have not yet needed a tall tripod. My wife thinks the 055 is a tall tripod. ;)

I can understand on steep inclines where tall tripods could come in handy. I grew up in mountains of east TN. ;) Our cows had two legs shorter than the the other two. ;)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 03, 2010 22:42 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #15

I got the 3531Ss today. I had to open one before wrapping them for under the tree. OMG, you can just tell from holding one....it is proper kit. ;)

sponsored links

3,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gitzo tripods - which series?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.