Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebuilding Lightroom libraries

TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 02, 2010 16:00 |  #1

I just picked up a new 1TB LaCie Quadra to replace my seven year old 320GB LaCie D2.

I want to rebuild all my Lightroom libraries over to this new hard-drive and use my old D2 as a redundancy. What's the easiest way to get Lightroom to recognize that I've moved the files to a different location?

Thanks!

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2010 16:44 |  #2

TheAnt wrote in post #11384222 (external link)
I just picked up a new 1TB LaCie Quadra to replace my seven year old 320GB LaCie D2.

I want to rebuild all my Lightroom libraries over to this new hard-drive and use my old D2 as a redundancy. What's the easiest way to get Lightroom to recognize that I've moved the files to a different location?

Thanks!

Well this should (hopefully) work:

Open Lightroom to your "old" catalog -- in other words open the catalog and Lightroom will notice that all the folders and images are missing.

What you will see is a little question mark in red, I believe (I'm not at my workstation right now) on the various files and folders.

Go to an upper level folder that contains plenty of your stuff and right-click on your folder icon and you should see a choice to Find your missing files and folders. Click on that and a dialog will open with a Browse button. Click on that and browse to the window showing that higher-level folder. Click on that and then select using I believe the Choose Selected button and you should see all the files/folders show up in your library that are in that section. You keep doing this and Lightroom is pretty smart in searching and synchronizing things.

Try that out -- like I said I'm not at my workstation so some of the details may be a bit off -- I haven't done this in quite some time, but if something doesn't work exactly right you can just tweak a bit. For example, you want to take the "right" approach to make sure that folders show up properly in the Library. It can make a difference how you go about selecting folders (rather than individual files).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TheAnt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 02, 2010 16:46 |  #3

I'll give it a shot tonight! Thanks!

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

othomas
531 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 02, 2010 17:48 |  #4

Connect up the two drives to your machine.

Start-up Lightroom and go into the Folders panel in the Library module, you should be able to see both drives.

Drag the top level folder with your images from the old drive to the new one. If you move them in Lightroom, it will track where they go.

Go get a coffee, it may take a while to move them.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2010 17:57 |  #5

othomas wrote in post #11384891 (external link)
Connect up the two drives to your machine.

Start-up Lightroom and go into the Folders panel in the Library module, you should be able to see both drives.

Drag the top level folder with your images from the old drive to the new one. If you move them in Lightroom, it will track where they go.

Go get a coffee, it may take a while to move them.

OK, I may have missed something in my early post -- I was under the impression the files were already moved and the drive was replaced and no longer connected.

To the OP, this advice above is good for actually moving the files within Lightroom. My advice is for if the files are already moved and you need to re-integrate them into your catalog while keeping the catalog settings. In other words you don't want to try to re-import them in fact I don't think LR will let you.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 02, 2010 18:11 |  #6

I recently replaced a drive and assigned it the old drive letter. Go ahead and do that and assign the 320gb a new one. That's the easisest way.

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2010 18:17 |  #7

How easy depends on a few things. Depending on the job type...I keep my catalog in the same folder as the images. When I need to move the files I just copy and paste to the new drive. When it is done I just re-import the catalog. Lightroom takes a bit to re-do the previews and such. But it is a simple process to do this way.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2010 18:23 |  #8

Mark1 wrote in post #11385061 (external link)
How easy depends on a few things. Depending on the job type...I keep my catalog in the same folder as the images. When I need to move the files I just copy and paste to the new drive. When it is done I just re-import the catalog. Lightroom takes a bit to re-do the previews and such. But it is a simple process to do this way.

That's also good! Although, I would not do that with an external USB drive, just a high speed drive!

Tony

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2010 18:34 |  #9

I would not keep a working catalog on a USB, your right, But if you are archiving the catalog, but still want to be able to referance it in lightroom, it is not a bad choice.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2010 18:46 |  #10

Mark1 wrote in post #11385143 (external link)
I would not keep a working catalog on a USB, your right, But if you are archiving the catalog, but still want to be able to referance it in lightroom, it is not a bad choice.

True, I store most of my working library on external drives after I'm done with current work on the shoot(s) and also have LR do backups to an external drive but my working catalog and my cache and my "current" shoots go on an internal data drive.

Tony

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2010 21:06 |  #11

I do the same thing. Current jobs are internal. Old ones are external. But the catalog is still in lightroom.

I have started to make a catalog for each client/job. But I like to keep the catalog in lightroom just in case. Last week was a perfect example. I shot some promo work for a band this summer. Last week they called and wanted some posters made. I knew what image they wanted, and all I had to do was open the catalog. Being on a USB drive it took longer than usual, but for one image to just reformat and export, it was a lot faster than transferring and re-importing.

othomas
531 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 03, 2010 03:48 |  #12

tonylong wrote in post #11384939 (external link)
OK, I may have missed something in my early post -- I was under the impression the files were already moved and the drive was replaced and no longer connected.

Tony, not your fault, mine entirely, I mis-read.:oops: I thought the op was asking the best way to do it.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 04, 2010 06:39 |  #13

I want to rebuild all my Lightroom libraries over to this new hard-drive and use my old D2 as a redundancy.

Libraries or raw files?

What's the easiest way to get Lightroom to recognize that I've moved the files to a different location?

Move them using LR.
If you already moved them, LR should give a question mark on the images and folders in the Library view. Right click the folder and choose "find missing folder".

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebuilding Lightroom libraries
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.