Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2010 (Friday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smoke Photography Tutorial...

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 28, 2011 14:38 |  #16

Just making my first gel holder today!! Thanks again for the tut!

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

sponsored links
katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2011 15:05 |  #17

You're welcome.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Mann108
28 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2011 17:17 |  #18

thanks for the help xD.
you make me jealous :(

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2011 17:33 |  #19

You're welcome, but it's nothing to be jealous about. Not only is it easy to do, if you spend as much time doing it as I do sooner or later you get a few decent shots.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Nick ­ S
98 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2011 19:33 |  #20

Thank you for sharing (saw your link in the Mustangs topic) your very creative images and how you did it!

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 09, 2011 19:47 |  #21

Thanks. How'd you like the mustang shots?

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2011 21:57 as a reply to  @ katodog's post |  #22

Dude! Thanks so much for sharing this! It'll definitely be an awesome way to fill rainy afternoons. I was playing around with it tonight...here's a few that I got...I can see what you mean about it becoming addicting.

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/1204233686_Kvxee-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/1204233559_peSkF-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/1204233343_PKv99-L.jpg

-Dave

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2011 06:42 |  #23

Those are great shots!!

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2011 12:59 |  #24

Additional info...

Some new things I've taught myself for doing the smoke art images...

I was copying the single smoke shot and then pasting it onto a blank canvas, then pasting it as a floating selection. As a floating selection I'd flip or mirror it, then move it to join with the other pieces. It comes out great that way but can sometimes be a huge pain in the ass lining everything up so the seams don't show.

Now what I do, which can be seen with the recent addition to the smoke dumping thread, is to work with layers and change the properties to "Multiply". All I have to do is enlarge the canvas, then copy the entire image. Paste it as a new layer and flip or mirror that layer, then change that layer to "Multiply". To get the image to be square I just double the dimensions of the original shot when I enlarge the canvas. With PSPX2 when you enlarge the canvas you have the choice to put the original image in any of multiple positions: center, upper left, lower right, etc..

I pick a shot, then enlarge the canvas. Depending on what I want the shot to look like I put the original in the position I want it in when I enlarge the canvas. Then I copy the image...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i15.photobucket​.com …katodog/SmokeMe​rge001.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …katodog/SmokeMe​rge002.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …katodog/SmokeMe​rge003.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …katodog/SmokeMe​rge004.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …katodog/SmokeMe​rge005.jpg (external link)

Shot number 4 is during the properties change, shot number 5 is the results. The part of the image on the left is what you get from the first "multiply", then I merge those two layers and copy them, then paste as new layer and mirror it to get to what the shot looks like in number 5.

After that I either save it as-is of merge the layers then copy again. Then I'll paste as a new layer and free rotate that layer by 90°, 45°, 22.5°, etc, to get a different pattern...

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6157183926_4f77ee8cd6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/katodog/6157183​926/  (external link)
Smoke 621 (external link) by Ed Durbin (Katodog) (external link), on Flickr

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 19, 2011 13:03 |  #25

Nice post, this is great! I haven't worked with any of my smoke photos like this yet, but would like to try it. How do you think this method would translate to PS5?

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2011 13:45 |  #26

It's roughly the same, but not. I will work on a Photoshop tutorial for the smoke art, it's easy to do if you know what you're looking for, but it's hard to do if you aren't used to doing some of the "advanced" things.

As a start what you can do is take your initial smoke shot and invert it to a white background. What that does is allows you to see what you're working on, if you leave it black when you "multiply" the layers everything is going to get darker and you won't be able to see what you're doing. Depending on how big the smoke shot is you might want to resize by 50% because once you start doing the "art" images they get really big really fast.

Enlarge the canvas by 100% both height and width, and click one of the placement arrows to put the smoke where you want it. After that it's basic to duplicate the layer, flip or mirror it, then "multiply" and merge. If you want to do the stuff where it's ending up like a circle full of details then you have to start getting into "Transform" and the different adjustments within that. Otherwise if you try to flip, mirror, or rotate, you're going to do it to all layers and not just the single layer you want to work with.

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 19, 2011 13:53 |  #27

katodog wrote in post #13128175 (external link)
It's roughly the same, but not. I will work on a Photoshop tutorial for the smoke art, it's easy to do if you know what you're looking for, but it's hard to do if you aren't used to doing some of the "advanced" things.

As a start what you can do is take your initial smoke shot and invert it to a white background. What that does is allows you to see what you're working on, if you leave it black when you "multiply" the layers everything is going to get darker and you won't be able to see what you're doing. Depending on how big the smoke shot is you might want to resize by 50% because once you start doing the "art" images they get really big really fast.

Enlarge the canvas by 100% both height and width, and click one of the placement arrows to put the smoke where you want it. After that it's basic to duplicate the layer, flip or mirror it, then "multiply" and merge. If you want to do the stuff where it's ending up like a circle full of details then you have to start getting into "Transform" and the different adjustments within that. Otherwise if you try to flip, mirror, or rotate, you're going to do it to all layers and not just the single layer you want to work with.

Alright that's some good into to get me started. I'll have to fireup PS and find some good smoke candidates to start messing around. Thanks!

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2011 16:02 |  #28

Basic Photoshop steps to make the "art" images. I'm sure there's different techniques but this is what I'd do if I used Photoshop...

First pick a finished smoke image and invert it to a white background in necessary. The reason for this is that if you work with a black background when you change layer properties to “Multiply” you eventually won’t be able to see what the heck you’re doing. It’s much, much easier to work with a white background, and when you get done if you want black simply invert.

http://i15.photobucket​.com …9/katodog/CS4Sm​oke001.jpg (external link)

Go to Image - Canvas Size: Click a placement arrow to put the smoke in a corner you can leave it centered, depends on what type of final results you want. If you put it in the corner enlarge by 200% both width and height, if you leave it centered then you can enlarge the canvas by 150% or so. You will see as you do images that different placements and different canvas sizes will give you different resulting images. Another thing you can do is freehand copy the smoke and place it on a new canvas anywhere, this can give you a whole new avenue for creating final images.

Go to Layer - Duplicate Layer or right-click on the Layer Pallette and select “Duplicate Layer”. With the duplicate layer all you need to do is go to Edit - Transform - Flip vertical (or horizontal). What this does is positions the layer and not the group. If you simply went to Image - Flip the whole group would flip; you don’t want that. Go to the duplicate layer and change the properties to “Multiply”. This will show both layers.

Then merge the layers, either Merge Visible or Flatten, they do the same thing. Duplicate the layer again, then go to Transform and flip it to complete the main image. The resulting steps are the same here as there were shown in the previous post, where you can see each piece being added. You eventually end up with this...

http://i15.photobucket​.com …9/katodog/CS4Sm​oke002.jpg (external link)

After this you can either save it as-is or work on it more to make a pattern. I’ve done boht, kept the results here as a new image because it looked good, or I’ve continued on to get the “Spirograph” type of images.

To continue to make a pattern enlarge the canvas so that it’s large enough to give you room to work. Something around 200% on the narrow side and 125% on the larger will give you a decent area. If your image is wider than taller, your width should increase by 200% and your height by 125%. If your height is larger just flip the numbers.

http://i15.photobucket​.com …9/katodog/CS4Sm​oke003.jpg (external link)

Duplicate the layer then go to Edit - Transform - Rotate. On the toolbar you can plug in numbers for the rotate. This layer you’ll do at 90° so put in 90 in the degree box and click the checkmark. When it applies you can go to the layer properties and choose Multiply, or you can change the layer properties then click the checkmark, either way does the same thing.

Merge the layers That will get you this...

http://i15.photobucket​.com …9/katodog/CS4Sm​oke004.jpg (external link)

Go back to Edit - Transform - Rotate, this time put 45 in the degree box. Multiply, checkmark, merge. That will give you this...

http://i15.photobucket​.com …9/katodog/CS4Sm​oke005.jpg (external link)

The main numbers I use with the rotate depending on what I want to end up with are 90°, 45°, 22.5°, and 11.625°. These are the numbers halved, so every rotate is properly placed around the “circle”; otherwise you’re going to have pieces that aren’t uniform.

You can see as you go that it’s basically the same thing over and over again to get to the desired image. Merge the layers and if you want invert the image to a black background. Of course I’m sure there’s fine-tuning, keyboard shortcuts or whatever. I don’t use Photoshop for stuff like this because it’s basically a pain in the butt. But, once you get used to it things flow pretty good.

I hope I did that right

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 19, 2011 16:24 |  #29

Awesome! I'll have to try this in the next couple of days and I'll let you know how well the info plugs in. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
BZ

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,212 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2011 16:27 |  #30

You're welcome

sponsored links

26,669 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smoke Photography Tutorial...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.