Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you use your iPad

Jeff ­ Smith
102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 04, 2010 19:08 |  #1

I'm thinking about getting an iPad and wonder how you are using it to help you out everyday.

Jeff
Canon 7D gripped | 70-200 2.8L IS | 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM | EFS 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM | 50mm 1.8 II | EFS 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM | Speedlite 580EX

sponsored links
Eric
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 04, 2010 20:00 |  #2

For photography, it makes a great portable portfolio and it presents well.

For other things, web and e-mail. Im on my iPad more now than anything else. I'm using it now :)

Eric Darlington Photography (external link)
flickr (external link) / [URL="[URL]http://eric​darlington.500px.com/"​]500px / [URL="[URL]http://www.​facebook.com/EricDarli​ngtonPhotography"]Face​book
[URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=8612297&postcou​nt=1945"]Tools

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 04, 2010 21:24 as a reply to  @ Eric's post |  #3

I use mine all the time and love it
sitting on the couch surfing the internet, Showing photos off, Navigation using Google maps
and Filing pics using Filterstorm.

Much lighter than my work issued laptop, faster to send one or two pics too.
the battery life is great too, i can use it all day, and still have heaps of battery left.

EDIT - i have all my Camera manuals, and all the manuals for gear i may possibly use at work (studio flashes, pocketwizards, etc) loaded up on it too, along with a bunch of Photography and Photoshop related Video Podcasts

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

SoldierStape01
26 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 04, 2010 21:55 |  #4

I use mine all the time actually with photography. If you are really interested in getting one i recommend one with 3g as the one feature is top notch with an app im going to tell you about...

Just a couple of ways and apps I use with Photography.
- SignMyiPad - A great app that you can load release forms (well any PDF form) onto and fill out and have the model sign right there with no fumbling for papers. After you save the form with the 3g service you can just email it to yourself and you are good to go!

- Portfolio (i believe thats the name) - This is pretty straight forward lol. It have a great interface and lets you organize your picture into galleries better than the standard photo viewer. Plus you can hide galleries as well... I really is a great app. You can also customize it with your logo for a nice professional look when presenting to clients or just people as well.

- StoBox - This is a cool little app, which can be used on an ipad or iphone as well. It basically is a simulated airial view of your shoot location that you can place your model as well as lighting/camera/flash elements on the workspace prior to the shoot for some preplanned guidance after you get started. Just a nice reference.

- SketchPad - This is also pretty straight forward. It is nice to be able to scratch down some pose ideas for models to take a quick gander and have some slight direction prior to a shoot as well. The best part is everything is erasable and no need to carry endless notepads, although I do still carry a good old fashioned notepad and pen/pencil as well.

iPad isn't a endall replacement but a great accompaniment for any photo bag. Plus if you have the 3g and do and gallery shows were you would be taking print orders that night.. you can actually get a card swiper for it... just a thought lol..

They are a great investment and can get crazy with accessories as well :)

-Chris
60D with a couple cool pieces of third party glass :cool:

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 05, 2010 01:39 |  #5

In general? I use it for reading, browsing the web, doing all my email, IM, games, watching videos... the only thing I use my laptop for is processing RAW files.

In photography? I store all my photos on it for personal viewing and to show to others, that's about it.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

Wickedkid19
247 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 05, 2010 01:49 as a reply to  @ shedberg's post |  #6

I use it for everything web related. Especially love using it to read my forums. It's also great to show off pictures you've taken with the apple camera adaptor kit. I can load up my pictures straight to it without using iTunes.

Lucky L.
5Dmark II | 35mm L f1.4 | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.8 | 100mm L f2.8 Macro | 580exII | Benro c2680 | Horusbennu LX-3 | protected by f-stop Loka
~ Take some Wicked shots!!! ~

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2010 02:06 |  #7

Want to get the Impreza mounting kit for my car, replaces the stock.

iKit:
http://image.motortren​d.com …is-with-ipad-vertical.jpg (external link)

Video from Scosche:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=MrPEhG6LwCw (external link)

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

Fodowsky
590 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 05, 2010 06:54 |  #8

All the above. Plus, I use mine at work for meeting notes (every meeting can be easily filed), project tracking, spreadsheets, presentations, references for specs, etc. It's a great tool.

Gear and Feedback

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,780 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2010 07:03 |  #9

Using it right now :)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Jeff ­ Smith
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 05, 2010 16:26 |  #10

Thanks for the ideas. I'm probably going to wait for the next generation that should be out after the first of the year. It's killing me to wait but I just want to see what they come out with on it before I pull the trigger. I've heard they are putting a camera in it for sure but that doesn't mean that much to me. I guess if they don't do much I'll pick up a first gen one since they'll be plenty of them for sale because everybody will want the new one.

Jeff
Canon 7D gripped | 70-200 2.8L IS | 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM | EFS 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM | 50mm 1.8 II | EFS 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM | Speedlite 580EX

Joe.Kelley
322 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 10, 2010 21:10 |  #11

I only use it to read potn there is no better use for my time or my iPad ;)

Fuji X100s | Sony RX100 II | 5D MKIII (SOLD)| 35L (SOLD) | 70-200 L IS MKII (SOLD)| GoPro Hero3 Black
2 Einsteins | CyberSync System | Vagabond Mini

Jeff
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 10, 2010 21:22 |  #12

Is there a depth-of-field app for an iPad? I know there are a lot of sites out there that do it. Just wondering if there is a dedicated app.

Currently iPad-less but considering.

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: QHY9M, Optolong LRGB filters, Meade 10" SCT, Orion EON 110mm APO, Atlas EQ-G to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICS (external link) | MY ASTRO PICS (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 11, 2010 06:02 |  #13

Jeff wrote in post #11431409 (external link)
Is there a depth-of-field app for an iPad? I know there are a lot of sites out there that do it. Just wondering if there is a dedicated app.

A search on 'depth of field' in iTunes Store brings up three iPad apps that all look quite capable. There are several others as well, where DoF calculations are only a part of what the app does.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Marcy
Goldmember
1,752 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 11, 2010 09:02 |  #14

today I will be at a craft show with my photo display and My Ipad as a slide show to show off more of my photos as I can't possibly have all the photos out at my small booth - it is great as a portfolio

Draconian
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 11, 2010 13:19 |  #15

I use mine for reviewing pics on events (w/the camera connector). Much easier to carry around than a laptop as it fits nicely into the front pocket of a Think Tank R20 :)

70-200L 2.8 IS II + 24-70L + 50L + 5DII + EX 580 II // 28/2.8 + 55/2 + 135/3.5 + Pentax SP1000 // Tripods, grips, shutter releases, bags, and a bunch of other marginally relevant gadgetry

sponsored links

10,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you use your iPad
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.