Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help with DPP

hunterdace
224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 04, 2010 19:12 |  #1

I hate to show my ignorance ....but ; when I download my images from my camera with DPP; I process them and then convert and save. At least I think I am. Later when I pull the images up on my computer ( using windows XP) they appear as they did before processing . What am I doing wrong. I am correcting for color,brightness, contrast and sharpness . If I need to give more info ...please let me know.Ive been taking pictures for 35 yrs just fairly new to digital.I appreciate any help given.

Thanks Alonzo

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 04, 2010 19:21 |  #2

Well, first, these are Raw images I gather?

Second, maybe you could give us a step-by-step description of your process and see if we can "catch you" in anything:)!

But third, I would suggest you try some things -- try for example switching DPP to a grayscale picture style and do a Convert and Save and see if it doesn't show up. If that works, then try some other "dramatic" conversions. It's possible that you just need to learn the "ins and outs" of things.

Oh, and when you Convert and Save, make sure your images are being converted to the sRGB color space -- you can set this in your Preferences or use the Adjustment/Work Color Space menu function. This will keep your display more consistent between DPP and other displays.

Try those things and get back to us with a description and with results!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 05, 2010 03:25 |  #3

Two things you have to realize: first, DPP does parametric (also called non-destructive) editing and second, because of this the term "save" has a somewhat different meaning.

Parametric editing means that as you push and pull the sliders around no actual changes to the image are made, merely a list of proposed changes to the various parameters is assembled. The great advantage is that you can go back at any time to a parameter that you set earlier and change it; it is, after all, just an item on a list. You can try endless variations and all that is affected is the preview. And also, you can move the sliders in any order. O.k., now you have obtained the preview you like and you want to set it in concrete. But if you click "Save" the only thing that will be saved is the parametric list, still no changes are made to the image data. The saved list is written into the metadata section of the file. There is already a list there that was written by the camera, DPP used it to set its defaults. The lists, however, are written in language that only DPP can read. In order to apply your edits to the image data you have to do "Convert and save" or "Batch process", but even then, if the original is a CR2 DPP will never change it. It will only render and write a new file, tif or jpg, with the requested changes. If the original is a rendered file, however, it will be possible to overwrite it from the Convert and Save dialog but not from Batch.

Elie / אלי

hunterdace
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 05, 2010 20:18 |  #4

good info guys . ...............I 'm not sure if these are raw as I believe I shoot raw + Jpeg. I dont know enough to speak intelligently about this. In this particular case I was shooting a basketball game and intentionally underexposed the image to increase shutter speed at which I was shooting . When I downloaded the images I brightened and add a tad contrast and sharpened a bit. and then used curves to brighten overall image. I then saved settings to clipboard and applies to all images . this gave me very satifactory results in DPP. so I saved them and went to send them by e-mail (hotmail) and notice they reverted back to SOC results. I can go back to DPP and they appear as corrected. If I could e-mail straight from DPP it might be OK. I'm sure I can learn ; it will just take doing it . Experience is a good teach .....after you try all the ways that dont work you eventually find a way that does LOL

hunterdace
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 05, 2010 20:20 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #5

oh and by the way thank you very much for your help. I am very impressed with your knowledge . I bow to you ;)

hunterdace
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 05, 2010 20:51 |  #6

Just checked my camera and I have not been shooting raw +L on the quality setting ;but instead have been shooting L only. I have changed that setting to include raw data and will see what comes of that . I doubt it will solve my problems ; but might make for better images

Alonzo

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 05, 2010 21:50 |  #7

hunterdace wrote in post #11401435 (external link)
good info guys . ...............I 'm not sure if these are raw as I believe I shoot raw + Jpeg. I dont know enough to speak intelligently about this. In this particular case I was shooting a basketball game and intentionally underexposed the image to increase shutter speed at which I was shooting . When I downloaded the images I brightened and add a tad contrast and sharpened a bit. and then used curves to brighten overall image. I then saved settings to clipboard and applies to all images . this gave me very satifactory results in DPP. so I saved them and went to send them by e-mail (hotmail) and notice they reverted back to SOC results. I can go back to DPP and they appear as corrected. If I could e-mail straight from DPP it might be OK. I'm sure I can learn ; it will just take doing it . Experience is a good teach .....after you try all the ways that dont work you eventually find a way that does LOL

So, in your description I can see something you are possibly missing, and you would by far not be the first one -- in DPP there is a difference between "Save" and the "Convert and Save" and "Batch Process" functions. This throws people for a loop -- with most software Save means to save the picture with the changes applied, but DPP does not do this because it is designed to preserve the original image, whether Raw or jpeg. So yes, if you Save an edited file and then open it, it will look unchanged!

In DPP, then, the functions to actually create edited images are Convert and Save for single images and Batch Process for multiple images. In each of these functions you will be able to point to a destination folder and you will be able to set and image size, quality, and (if needed) a resolution and a few other options. Note that you don't want to overwrite the original (I don't know if DPP even allows you to do that with a jpeg, but even if it does it's a bad idea!).

So, give that a try -- start with a single image and make some "definite" edits and then use Convert and Save and see what happens. Then, do what you did, copy recipes into several files, select them all and do a Batch Process and see what you get.

Make sure you keep track of where you put the converted files!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

hunterdace
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 06, 2010 04:09 |  #8

Thank you Tony

I will give that a try.

Alonzo

sponsored links

1,379 views & 0 likes for this thread
help with DPP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.