Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a "Lightroom" for video?

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 07, 2010 09:15 |  #1

Not much of a video shooter here, but I need some software to help keep my files organized. I use Lightroom for my photos and would love something similar for video. We have a JVC camcorder that came with some software that sort of does what I need, but it requires the files to be on the local machine. I use a server for my files so that won't work.

So is there anything like Lightroom for video? I'd like to import files, add keywords, do some minor editing, etc. Don't want to spend a lot either. Looking for something fairly cheap.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
jetswing
44 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 07, 2010 11:35 |  #2

Mike, you can import videos using Lightroom (version 3) and organize them exactly as you would do with photos. As for editing, it's hard to compare it to processing photos. What you do with Lightroom with photos is comparable to color grading in video, which is only a small part of the whole post processing. In short, processing photos and editing video has a completely different processes.

http://www.youtube.com​/jetswing (external link)

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 07, 2010 12:09 |  #3

jetswing wrote in post #11410649 (external link)
Mike, you can import videos using Lightroom (version 3) and organize them exactly as you would do with photos. As for editing, it's hard to compare it to processing photos. What you do with Lightroom with photos is comparable to color grading in video, which is only a small part of the whole post processing. In short, processing photos and editing video has a completely different processes.

I've tried importing my videos into LR, but no go. Perhaps they are not a supported format?

As for editing, let me clarify by saying I just want to combine clips, or delete parts of them, nothing extravagant. Maybe add an intro frame here or there or with a title or something.

jetswing
44 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 08, 2010 12:21 |  #4

It supports avi, mov, and mp4. http://kb2.adobe.com/c​ps/849/cpsid_84934.htm​l (external link)

http://www.youtube.com​/jetswing (external link)

JewHefner
58 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 08, 2010 12:54 as a reply to  @ jetswing's post |  #5

i have Red giant software for after effects

Looks and mojo...if u need get at me.

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 08, 2010 12:57 |  #6

Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 is the closest LR there is (IMO). Reasonable too at ~ $100 and it will author DVDs (which apparently is not standard as I found out when looking at these programs)

The second newest Windows Movie Maker is the simplest (the newest-newest got rid of the timeline which makes it worthless)

I still haven't found a reasonable way to make .mov into .avi and keep quality though (to use WMM)

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 08, 2010 19:23 |  #7

jetswing wrote in post #11417115 (external link)
It supports avi, mov, and mp4. http://kb2.adobe.com/c​ps/849/cpsid_84934.htm​l (external link)

Unfortunately the JVC uses mod files. I guess I could convert them to one of the supported formats.

Salleke
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 09, 2010 03:08 |  #8

danpass wrote in post #11417317 (external link)
Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 is the closest LR there is (IMO). Reasonable too at ~ $100 and it will author DVDs (which apparently is not standard as I found out when looking at these programs)

The second newest Windows Movie Maker is the simplest (the newest-newest got rid of the timeline which makes it worthless)

I still haven't found a reasonable way to make .mov into .avi and keep quality though (to use WMM)

Take a look at Neoscene. Maybe this will do what you want.

Good luck.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2010 09:26 |  #9

Magix Movie Edit Pro (external link). Up to version 17 now. The Plus versions allow for screen capture and 3D creation. $89 for the Plus version, $60 for the regular version. Buy the boxed version shipped to you if you want a nice fat owners manual to go with it. An extra $5.

Do not be fooled by the price. This is some first class software, easy to use and it has literally thousands of one or two click effects if your in to that. It also imports every format I have ever heard of and exports to every format I have ever heard of. You will have to buy a codex to export to MPEG4, but it's a one time charge of $5, done online.

I have nothing to do with this company, except I started using one of their music editors about 10 years ago, and now, have bought several versions of their movie edit software. Like I said, don't be fooled by their cheap price. What it is, is more like a fair price, not the over inflated prices other companies charge for their junk which require a couple years of training to learn.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 11, 2010 09:43 |  #10

Umm... I'd absolutely say that Magix Movie Edit is brilliant for basic edit needs, it's hella cheap too. But calling FCP, Premiere or Avid overpriced junk is messed up. So how does Magix software deal with the standard broadcast or shooting codecs? DVCPRO HD, XDCAM, HDCAM etc? Well it doesn't, because there's no support for them. That 2-camera multicam editing is pretty neat, but what if you have 4 cameras? 6 cameras? 9 cameras? Also every NLE looks and works pretty much the same nowadays, except for Avid so they aren't that hard to learn.

But yet again it's all about what you shoot and where you need it. The more expensive software does everything you could do with a basic one and more, but the basic one will not ever get the features of the more advanced NLE without costing as much.

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 11, 2010 10:02 |  #11

Yes, the "lightroom " for video is called Premiere. That's the equivalent for movies from Adobe.
http://www.adobe.com/p​roducts/premiere/ (external link)

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2010 10:49 |  #12

But yet again it's all about what you shoot and where you need it.

And that's who I was talking to. People who shoot home movies that get advised by people who buy the expensive stuff, go to 4 years of school to learn how to use it in their video companies. Why would someone like that be telling a home shooter to buy this stuff? Sorry, I see it as bad advise.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

careysb
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 12, 2010 13:44 |  #13

canonloader wrote in post #11433615 (external link)
And that's who I was talking to. People who shoot home movies that get advised by people who buy the expensive stuff, go to 4 years of school to learn how to use it in their video companies. Why would someone like that be telling a home shooter to buy this stuff? Sorry, I see it as bad advise.

Ah, yes. *some day* I'd like to get Premiere Pro. In the mean time I bought Premiere Elements. Not a fancy program but suites my needs for now. It has a quick drag-n-drop mode from which you can make a completed video. Or, you can use the time-line mode which gives you more control.

sponsored links

13,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a "Lightroom" for video?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.