Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 09:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet Problems

Bioshock
469 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2010 09:09 |  #1

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is more of a rant or question but I wanted to see if this is a normal thing.

The very first of Nov I purchased the Genesis 300b strobe with power pack from Calumet.com. The next day I received an email saying the item was backorded and they would have it in 2-4 weeks.

As usual when you purchase a item you have a need for it so I called their customer service to find out if they had any ideas when they would get it in. The rep I talked to said it should be about two weeks since they were being shipped in and where currently "waiting to clear customs".

Well, 4 weeks came and passed so I sent them an email asking what the status was and if I should start looking for other options since I was hoping to use this strobe for some Christmas portrait sessions.

Another week went by and I never heard anything back. I sent another email asking why I haven't heard back and a couple hours later I received a reply apologizing for the slow response and that it would be another 60-90 days till they got them.

Really??? Another 8-13 weeks? So from the time I ordered them till I could get them might be going on to 5 months???

Is this a common thing to happen? If I had the money I could order a custom car and have it before then. Of course I wouldn't be buying the genesis series of lights as well. I know it's not because I'm buried on the backordered list since a couple weeks ago when I was in the Chicago store they looked it up and I was third on the list.

Has anyone else had problems like this when trying to order lights? I would really like to just cancel this and go with something else but already have items that use the genesis mount.

Anyways.. sorry for the rant I'm just a little disappointed with the service.

</rant>

Kevin: 5D Mark III, Canon 7D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Sigma 10-20mm,Kenko Tubes, 430ex
My Site, (external link) Flickr (external link), Facebook Photo Page (external link), Tweet with me (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/kmillerphotography (external link)

sponsored links
ratempa
438 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 08, 2010 14:08 |  #2

Wow, that sounds terrible. I would've already looked at other lights. I've had good experiences at my local calumet, but then again there is one old guy who I can tell doesn't like young newbies.

FaceBook (external link)
500px (external link)
InstaGram (external link)

John ­ the ­ Geek
911 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 08, 2010 14:13 |  #3

Hey, we're both in South Bend.

There's a Calumet in Chicago. (external link) See if they have it. Driving a few hours is better than waiting months.

=)

Canon Gear: 7D Gripped :: 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L :: 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II :: 28mm ƒ/1.8 :: 50mm ƒ/1.4 :: 85mm ƒ/1.8 :: 200mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 180mm ƒ/3.5L Macro :: Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II :: Speedlites 430EX II (x2) and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite
www.focalmagic.com (external link) (Under construction)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 08, 2010 14:30 |  #4

I feel your pain. I have always been a supporter of Calumet but try dropped the ball this time. They did the same thing to me. Ordered on thanksgiving and it listed in stock. Went OOS almost a week later. When I called they told me 2 weeks and emailed yesterday that it would be 2 months.

You take a lifetime to build a reputation and moments to ruin it.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

mtnbkr1
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 08, 2010 14:31 |  #5

Happened to me too. Ordered this over a month ago and no word from them

5Dc | 85L | 1200 f5.6L | Lighting

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 08, 2010 14:39 |  #6

This same thing popped up maybe a year or so ago. Calumet is dependent on their contracted manufacturer who also makes other lines of lights. The Genesis lights were in big demand, as were a similar light made by the same vendor and the vendor couldnt or wouldnt meet calumet's demand. It appeared that they had gotten past that, but perhaps its a cyclical production problem.

Bioshock
THREAD ­ STARTER
469 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2010 15:02 |  #7

John the Geek wrote in post #11417767 (external link)
Hey, we're both in South Bend.

There's a Calumet in Chicago. (external link) See if they have it. Driving a few hours is better than waiting months.

=)

Hey John, Greetings to ya. Always good to meet other local photographers. I did go to the main store there in Chicago a couple weeks ago. They didn't have any there and that's when I found out I wasn't buried in backorder wait list.

ratempa wrote in post #11417735 (external link)
Wow, that sounds terrible. I would've already looked at other lights. I've had good experiences at my local calumet, but then again there is one old guy who I can tell doesn't like young newbies.

I know.. For the most part I've had good experiences with them as well.

CosmoKid wrote in post #11417870 (external link)
I feel your pain. I have always been a supporter of Calumet but try dropped the ball this time. They did the same thing to me. Ordered on thanksgiving and it listed in stock. Went OOS almost a week later. When I called they told me 2 weeks and emailed yesterday that it would be 2 months.

You take a lifetime to build a reputation and moments to ruin it.

Crazy! For the most part I've been happy with them up till this. However this one incident is enough for me to stick with B&H for my future needs. Especially since I can get free shipping from them.

Are you just going to wait it out or look elsewhere?

mtnbkr1 wrote in post #11417877 (external link)
Happened to me too. Ordered this over a month ago and no word from them

You think they would at least put something on their site saying you wont get this item for a few months.

Are you just going to wait?

gonzogolf wrote in post #11417928 (external link)
This same thing popped up maybe a year or so ago. Calumet is dependent on their contracted manufacturer who also makes other lines of lights. The Genesis lights were in big demand, as were a similar light made by the same vendor and the vendor couldnt or wouldnt meet calumet's demand. It appeared that they had gotten past that, but perhaps its a cyclical production problem.

I can see this happening but to get your levels to a point you can't get the product for 1/3rd of the year? Especially if this has happened before you think they would adjust their strategy.

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Sigma 10-20mm,Kenko Tubes, 430ex
My Site, (external link) Flickr (external link), Facebook Photo Page (external link), Tweet with me (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/kmillerphotography (external link)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 08, 2010 15:46 |  #8

I'm going to wait. I paid $275 shipped with their black Friday sale. I have 3 genesis already. Luckily this is happening in the winter when the chances of me needin this for an outdoor shoot is lower.

I am not happy at all about this. But it would have been worse in June. My wife isnupsetbthat she won't have a gift for me Christmas morning.

Gear/Feedback

Bioshock
THREAD ­ STARTER
469 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2011 10:18 |  #9

Wow! I finally got a shipping notification. Should have this later today. Only took 3 months to get it.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2011 10:32 |  #10

It isn't just Calumet. I had the same experience recently ordering my Elinchrom octabank. I ordered from B&H and was told it would be a few weeks, so I waited. After a month, I cancelled and ordered from Adorama, if I remember correctly. Same thing happened. All the major mail order places were out of stock, so clearly it stemmed from the manufacturer. It seems like none of them want to lose the sale, so they keep you on the hook. I ended up going back to B&H and got it eventually. The point is, it isn't just Calumet who plays that game.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 28, 2011 11:33 |  #11

mine shipped yesterday. should be here on Monday.

Gear/Feedback

mtnbkr1
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 28, 2011 13:41 |  #12

Mine shipped today

5Dc | 85L | 1200 f5.6L | Lighting

Bioshock
THREAD ­ STARTER
469 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2011 14:46 |  #13

I'm just glad I didn't cancel it since the price has jumped a ton from when I ordered it..

AEImages
113 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 12, 2011 16:21 |  #14

In general, I am highly disappointed with the company (Calumet), but there are some incredibly knowledgeable people who work there and are willing to help in all your needs. Now that the online store and the brick-and-mortar store are totally separate companies, I do not see conditions improve. But I have been to the Cambridge, Philly, and LA stores and I have been satisfied with the assistance I have received.

Where you stand depends on where you sit....

Imagine taking a picture of an object traveling at the speed of light...
Gear: Way too much if you ask my wife...but don't ask!

sponsored links

3,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet Problems
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.