Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580ex ll not firing all the time

L.Morey
Goldmember
1,571 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 09, 2010 00:55 |  #1

My 580 ll only fires when it feels like it cleaned all the contacts
Every time I change head direction it won't fire for the first could of snaps then it works fine any iseas

7d gripped,40d gripped,G9,17-40f4L, 24-70f2.8 L, 70-200f2.8 mkll L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, 50f1.4 , 85f1.8 , Sigma 24-70f2.8
Sigma 150-500 , Sigma 18-200f4-6.3 , Canon Ste2 , Canon
580mki , Canon 580mkllx2
http://lwmorey.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2010 01:00 |  #2

i dunno mine doesn't ever missfire

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

yagimax
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 10, 2010 12:29 as a reply to  @ jaycky's post |  #3

Are the batteries fully charged.

Sony A7RII, FE16-35, FE35 2.8, FE90 macro

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 10, 2010 12:50 |  #4

Does this happen with all your cameras or just one of them?

...Leo

damnit
500 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 10, 2010 16:13 |  #5

Its most likely the contacts on the flash/hotshoe mate ... I have read this elsewhere and had slight issues myself on occasion.
Basically you need to give it a wiggle, or remove and reseat the flash firmly - some theories are that the method canon have chosen to secure the flash is not as tight as it needs to be, and the old screw down clamp affair creates a much better contact.

When I use the 580 EX II, I slide it onto the hotshoe, slide the locking mechanism across and make sure it clicks securely in place first time, if not, I remove and repeat till it feels good and snug, then I give it a slight twist/wiggle to make sure the contacts are good and sound.

Sounds like when you are twisting and turning the head you might be dislodging the contacts slightly ... if it does this, give it a "wiggle" and you should be sorted ;)

Website & Galleries (external link)
Flickr (external link)
GEAR

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 10, 2010 16:18 |  #6

Replace your batteries. This issue happens when they are low on juice. This might be the problem.

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

damnit
500 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 11, 2010 12:53 |  #7

^^ had it happen with freshly charged batteries, although of course another thing to check.

Flickr (external link)
GEAR

emtp563
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 11, 2010 13:05 |  #8

damnit wrote in post #11430136 (external link)
Its most likely the contacts on the flash/hotshoe mate ... I have read this elsewhere and had slight issues myself on occasion.
Basically you need to give it a wiggle, or remove and reseat the flash firmly - some theories are that the method canon have chosen to secure the flash is not as tight as it needs to be, and the old screw down clamp affair creates a much better contact.

When I use the 580 EX II, I slide it onto the hotshoe, slide the locking mechanism across and make sure it clicks securely in place first time, if not, I remove and repeat till it feels good and snug, then I give it a slight twist/wiggle to make sure the contacts are good and sound.

Sounds like when you are twisting and turning the head you might be dislodging the contacts slightly ... if it does this, give it a "wiggle" and you should be sorted ;)

This is exactly what happens to me, especially when I'm using an external battery pack. The power cord tugs on the flash just enough so the flash loses contact with the camera. This new mounting system makes the flash almost unusable for me. The 580EX II wiggles around in the hot shoe, my old 430EX with the "old" mounting system has no wiggle at all. I may have to look into a different brand of flash solely because of this.

*cameras: Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 1D "Classic" | Canon S95
*lenses: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 | Canon 24-70L f/2.8 | Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS | Canon 1.4x TC II
*accessories: Canon 580EX II/430EX | Quantum Turbo SC | CP-E4
http://www.cyclingcapt​ured.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/cyclingcaptured (external link)

damnit
500 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 11, 2010 15:57 |  #9

I read a while back of a wedding Photographer who had totally had enough with of 580 EX II missfires so switched his entire setup to Metz speedlights cos of this.
Not a bad option if you are serious ... the Mecablitz 58 is the equivalent of the 580 EX II and is one hellova bit of kit, Canon ETTL compatible (as well as a tonne of other manufacturers), firmware updatable via USB (so "futureproof"), and cheaper than the Canons if I am not wrong!

It also has a 2ndary flash on the front to use as fill flash when you have the head straight up and using the reflector card as a catchlight ... nice little bonus (power slit something like 85/15 if I am not wrong).

If I did a lot more with flash and not already got the Canons, I would seriously consider the Metz mecablitzes.

Flickr (external link)
GEAR

Skids
330 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 11, 2010 16:31 |  #10

I am sending my flash back to Canon on Monday because of exactly the same issues especially if on a bracket with an off camera cord.

Like others have said it seems to be the new sliding lock doesn't give a snug a fit as you would like.

I will let you know the response from Canon once I get the flash back

emtp563
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 11, 2010 16:38 |  #11

I like that Metz. I think I'm going to try one. I'm already on my second 580EX II. My 430 is still going strong and has been for years. The 580EX II is garbage.

*cameras: Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 1D "Classic" | Canon S95
*lenses: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 | Canon 24-70L f/2.8 | Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS | Canon 1.4x TC II
*accessories: Canon 580EX II/430EX | Quantum Turbo SC | CP-E4
http://www.cyclingcapt​ured.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/cyclingcaptured (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,900 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 11, 2010 16:40 |  #12

Skids wrote in post #11435080 (external link)
I am sending my flash back to Canon on Monday because of exactly the same issues especially if on a bracket with an off camera cord.

Like others have said it seems to be the new sliding lock doesn't give a snug a fit as you would like.

I will let you know the response from Canon once I get the flash back

I've had multiple issues with this sort of thing and OCF cords. A lot of the cords suck.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 11, 2010 18:28 |  #13

You might have this problem

http://shimworld.wordp​ress.com …ite-580ex-ii-hotshoe-fix/ (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

JasonW
293 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 11, 2010 19:00 |  #14

I have had a similar problem with my 580EXII. It doesn't seem to want to work on my 1DMkIIN but is ok on the 20D and seems to be ok on the 1DMkIV. My 580EX works fine however on all bodies....

sponsored links

2,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
580ex ll not firing all the time
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.