Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Dec 2010 (Friday) 20:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dave Black's Surfing Shoot

samurairx7
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2010 20:09 |  #1

Just saw this video and he mounted 8x sb-900 together lol it was pretty cool and i wanted to share.

*not sure if this was already posted but i tried searching for it without any tread/post popping up*

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=cP6a47BQA70&f​eature=player_embedded​#! (external link)

sponsored links
tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 10, 2010 20:51 |  #2

samurairx7 wrote in post #11431104 (external link)
Just saw this video and he mounted 8x sb-900 together lol it was pretty cool and i wanted to share.

*not sure if this was already posted but i tried searching for it without any tread/post popping up*

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=cP6a47BQA70&f​eature=player_embedded​#! (external link)

Dave Black has done several similar videos for LightWare demonstrating the Four Square bracket system. While they're interesting to watch, once you realize the 8 SB-900s alone cost around $3700, the real world practicality of Dave's approach evaporates quickly.

Dave F.

KurtGoss
453 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 10, 2010 21:30 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Someone even posted how silly this "demo" is... try 16 flash units, it would double his recycle time.. and with 32... how about 64 heads!

It's an ad for Nikon. Nothing more.

Someone should make a spoof video, rent a 10-foot searchlight (like the ones you can rent to promote an event -- they come on trucks and rotate in the sky)... and even put a "10 foot gel" on it. Then point it out at surfers... gee, look. Before searchlight ... after searchlight.... and have some jerk stand next to the searchlight with some flashes and compare the light output. Call it the David White Series :lol:

samurairx7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2010 21:30 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #4

I certainly agree strobes are cheaper then high end speedlights. But http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link) does have a point.

What do you get when you slap together 8 SB-900's, an SU-800, one RadioPopper transmitter, two receivers, two FourSquares and two sets of Michael Bass fiber optic bundles?

Well, you get $5,000.00 lighter in the wallet, for one thing.

But you also get a (32) AA-battery-powered monoblock with a 2-second recycle that can reach out and touch someone -- in TTL and/or via high-speed sync -- at very great distances.

samurairx7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2010 21:35 |  #5

I don't think it's the point of being practical or not, it's just the point that someone did it because they can and have the resource to do it. lol i doubt anyone that watched this really gonna go out and buy 8 sb-900 or 8 580exii. But i do know phamster did have two 580exii in one umbrella before which is more practical =)

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 10, 2010 21:58 |  #6

tetrode wrote in post #11431276 (external link)
Dave Black has done several similar videos for LightWare demonstrating the Four Square bracket system. While they're interesting to watch, once you realize the 8 SB-900s alone cost around $3700, the real world practicality of Dave's approach evaporates quickly.

Dave F.

Yep. Just ONE Quadra head would be vey close, if not equal, to the full power output of 8 SB-900s. It makes no sense to use Speedlites in situations like these...

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2010 22:38 |  #7

Despite the glaring attention-whoring going on, there are some nice shots in that video.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2010 05:52 |  #8

Rudi wrote in post #11431552 (external link)
Yep. Just ONE Quadra head would be vey close, if not equal, to the full power output of 8 SB-900s. It makes no sense to use Speedlites in situations like these...

Actually it does make sense, 3 words - High Speed Sync
While a single quadra head will have the same power, It won't sync at the cameras max shutter speed, like a gaggle of speed lights will.
Very useful for small DOF or freezing fast action

And as for the search light comment, those things will cause sunburn at close range. (100ft or so)
They are essentially a welding arc in a reflector (actually 2x carbon rods arcing, and they burn through rods in about 20 mins)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 11, 2010 12:32 |  #9

Echo63 wrote in post #11432664 (external link)
Actually it does make sense, 3 words - High Speed Sync
Very useful for small DOF or freezing fast action

I cant watch teh video at work its blocked, but

I thought the DOF is controlled by aperture and that is controlling the flash exposure not the speed of the shutter
I thought the flash is suppose to freeze the action.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 11, 2010 12:35 |  #10

Rudi wrote in post #11431552 (external link)

Rudi, maybe you can show some example shots with Quadra.:) Talk is easy IMHO. Show me the meat.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 11, 2010 19:36 |  #11

bobbyz wrote in post #11434073 (external link)
Rudi, maybe you can show some example shots with Quadra.:) Talk is easy IMHO. Show me the meat.

I would if I had a Quadra to shoot with, Bobby. :) But it's easy to work out that 8 speediness, at 50-60 Ws each, are equal to one 400Ws strobe. I shoot with the Ranger RX AS Speed when on location. I find the extra power invaluable.

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2010 20:50 |  #12

sigma pi wrote in post #11434063 (external link)

I thought the DOF is controlled by aperture and that is controlling the flash exposure not the speed of the shutter

Yes and no

DOF is controlled by aperture, but you sometime bump against sync speed limitations

An example
Say I'm shooting a portrait in full sun, exposure is 1/100 f16 iso100 (sunny 16)
And I want minimal depth of field to blur out the ugly background
With a normal ranger or quadra kit, I go to my highest sync speed, and open the aperture at the same time.
From 1/100th I can speed up to 1/250 or 1 1/3 stops
So I open the aperture 1 1/3 stops to f10 - still to much depth of field
With speed lights and HSS I open up to f2.8, speed the shutter up to 1/3200 and go to town.
There is a loss of about 2 stops in switching to high speed sync, but that can be easily dealt with by moving the lights closer, or ganging up multiples of them.

Flash will freeze action, providing there is not much ambient light, and the flash can overpower the ambient by a few stops
1/250 (max sync speed) is pretty slow in terms of freezing action with ambient light around
Again, high speed sync allows much faster shutter speeds to freeze very fast motion
Shooting AFL football at work, I try and keep the shutter speed over 1/500 and preferably even higher to get good crisp shots of players in action. During the day I generally try for 1/2000, night games are a bit of a struggle sometimes though

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,508 posts
Gallery: 406 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 11, 2010 20:55 |  #13

sigma pi wrote in post #11434063 (external link)

To freeze motion your flash has to be 2 stops more powerful than the ambient light, otherwise you get ghosting as some of the image is being exposed by the ambient.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2010 21:00 |  #14

I actually went out and had a play with a quadra the other day
It has a fair bit of grunt, I have a rather average looking pic of my wife that I did as a test. 100 iso, f22, 1/250 looking into the sun. The quadra was three meters away with a 40x40cm soft box on it at full power, and it had enough grunt to light the shadow side of my wifes face properly (i know, a little soft box like that won't soften anything at 3 metres, it was just a test to see what kind of range I could use it for)
A speed lite could do the same, but not with the same amount of coverage, the soft box will light wide enough to cover at least a 24mm lens, whereas a speed light would have to be zoomed to 105mm to do the it

I actually wish I hadn't borrowed it, as I now want one, and my wife wants one too, so I am going to have to start saving for one which we will share.
It's actually a nice light little pack, no worries throwing it in a shoulder bag and having an assistant boom the flash out over people at a wedding

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,990 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2010 21:00 |  #15

bobby

ive never done this but i think rudi is on to it. seems to me that a strobe with a long throw reflector would make more sense and a hell of a lot less expensive. I use ab lights. i think an ab1600 and a long throw adapter reflector would probably do the same thing. the guys with the rangers might even have to turn them down a little:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dave Black's Surfing Shoot
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.