Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 11 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 16:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon SX130 IS ... Good? Bad?

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 11, 2010 16:47 |  #1

A few weeks back I was in Walmart and checking out small digital cameras. They are either way to small (very hard to handle with big hands) or to big (as in why carry that camera when it's not THAT much smaller than my dSLR big?) I usually have a camera with me but there are times when I don't really want to lug around my 5DMKII with the 550EX flash and all the stuff in the bag to go with it.

Looking at the Canon SX130 IS, it's a nice size ... fits in a jacket pocket easily and "seems" to have some pretty decent features ... 12.4mp, manual mode, IS and so on. The price isn't all that much either and thinking it could fill in for those times when I really wish I did have my camera.

Anyone shooting a dSLR use this camera? Is it worth it? Or will I be totally disappointed? (not trying to compare it to my 5DMKII ... but overall picture quality?)

Thanks for any thoughts you have! :)

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

sponsored links
Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 12, 2010 14:16 |  #2

johneo wrote in post #11435162 (external link)
A few weeks back I was in Walmart and checking out small digital cameras. They are either way to small (very hard to handle with big hands) or to big (as in why carry that camera when it's not THAT much smaller than my dSLR big?) I usually have a camera with me but there are times when I don't really want to lug around my 5DMKII with the 550EX flash and all the stuff in the bag to go with it.

Looking at the Canon SX130 IS, it's a nice size ... fits in a jacket pocket easily and "seems" to have some pretty decent features ... 12.4mp, manual mode, IS and so on. The price isn't all that much either and thinking it could fill in for those times when I really wish I did have my camera.

Anyone shooting a dSLR use this camera? Is it worth it? Or will I be totally disappointed? (not trying to compare it to my 5DMKII ... but overall picture quality?)

Thanks for any thoughts you have! :)

EDITED HEAVILY WHEN POST BELOW POINTED OUT I MISREAD THE MODEL NUMBER THE OP REFERRED TO - I'll just leave what I think is pertinent in any event no matter the Powershot model number:

I have two Powershot cameras - and two large dSLR cameras. (different models all around than the cameras you have or are considering).

I NEVER just walk around either of my dSLR cameras ..They are for jobs that pay (mostly sports), some portrait work and occasional "birding" since I live on a lake in S. Florida with all kinds of tropical water-fowl.

I hate carrying a bunch of lenses (or even just a single second lens)...I certainly don't want to carry two bodies - even less appealing than changing lenses - another great appeal of a small camera with a versatile zoom lens -especially with very effective IS.

You seem aware that you cannot compare any small sensor "pocket" camera to a full frame 5DII...If you print your images, it will be less of an issue than if you try comparing images on a computer screen. IMO, prints (good quality prints) with adequate post processing if needed, can be obtained with even the most basic Canon Powershot cameras.

Have you looked at images posted here taken with the various Canon Powershot cameras? Some look great, some don't. Same as the results of the photos posted taken by the 5DII -

The convenience is a subjective matter. But it's hard to find fault with a camera that has an impressively versatile zoom range, can fit in a pocket and costs less than any one lens (or flash) you are likely to put on your 5DII.

Why not buy one if you think it would serve you well, and just make sure you can return it (without a restocking fee like at Best Buy) - I don't know what Walmart's policy is, but probably more liberal than Best Buy. Amazon I think is easy and fast.

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 12, 2010 14:26 as a reply to  @ Delija's post |  #3

He was referring to the SX130, not the SX30.

However, in either case, their imaging sensor is a tiny 1/2.3",
so compare do a DSLR, the color tones and dynamic range are
going to be at least somewhat disappointing for someone who
is used to the output of a 5DMII. If that's the kind of money
you want to put into a camera, that's fine, as long as you know
what you're getting.
I would recommend the SX210 over the SX130, but the SX130 is ok.
If you do have a larger budget, and you want to make sure you don't
get disappointed, get either the S95 or G12, or at least the SD4000.

Eyal

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 12, 2010 17:04 |  #4

eyalg wrote in post #11439516 (external link)
He was referring to the SX130, not the SX30.

However, in either case, their imaging sensor is a tiny 1/2.3",
so compare do a DSLR, the color tones and dynamic range are
going to be at least somewhat disappointing for someone who
is used to the output of a 5DMII. If that's the kind of money
you want to put into a camera, that's fine, as long as you know
what you're getting.
I would recommend the SX210 over the SX130, but the SX130 is ok.
If you do have a larger budget, and you want to make sure you don't
get disappointed, get either the S95 or G12, or at least the SD4000.

Eyal

Sorry, my mistake - I misread his post and will delete my previous post since it is not relevant - especially since I was mostly lauding the benefits of the very versatile "super zoom" in the SX30.

I did not think the OP expected any camera with a tiny sensor to compare to a camera with a full frame 35mm sensor. He said as much in his post.

His question was "would I be disappointed?" - and the answer would be (IMO) -"Probably YES" for someone who is a pixel peeper and judges images by how they look on a computer monitor at 100% and "probably NO" to people who print their images, frame them and hang them on a wall (or sell them) - because they are interesting to look at - great subject matter, great use of light and shadow, and great composition - so it's not "image quality" but "quality images" which to me are what people care about. (or at least should - IMHO). :) Certainly quality images are what sells and what wins awards. Image quality is almost meaningless in many cases (probably in the majority of Pulitzer Prize winning photos).

Any camera - even a pinhole camera made from a shoe box can take great images in the right hands. (Proven time and again).

In the wrong hands, no amount of money can purchase a camera or lenses or lighting that will compensate for a lack of talent and/or experience. Who really cares how sharp and how much detail a camera and a lens can capture when the subject is a test pattern? :confused:

Thanks for pointing out my mistake - next time I'll be sure to use my reading glasses :D

Peace,
D.

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 12, 2010 17:12 |  #5

Delija wrote in post #11440197 (external link)
In the wrong hands, no amount of money can purchase a camera or lenses or lighting that will compensate for a lack of talent and/or experience.

bw!

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 12, 2010 21:38 |  #6

Delija wrote in post #11440197 (external link)
In the wrong hands, no amount of money can purchase a camera or lenses or lighting that will compensate for a lack of talent and/or experience.

tmwag wrote in post #11440233 (external link)
bw!

;).."Book Worthy"?

Nah, I'm probably completely wrong....The more time I spend reading on POTN, the more convinced i am becoming that equipment makes the difference..

I can't be the only one seeing threads about how going from a crop camera to a full frame camera has made beginner photographers into great photographers overnight:confused: (well...I guess "beginner" is hardly fair to those who have been using a camera since last Christmas...it's going to be a whole year in just two more weeks!!

:D

Peace,
D.

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 13, 2010 03:27 as a reply to  @ Delija's post |  #7

Well, I disagree ..you're right. Equipment will not make you the next Ansel Adams (off topic, sorry) so what will improve photographic skills?

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 13, 2010 08:03 |  #8

tmwag wrote in post #11442901 (external link)
Well, I disagree ..you're right. Equipment will not make you the next Ansel Adams (off topic, sorry) so what will improve photographic skills?

I don't understand the beginning of your post - you "disagree" then say "you're right" ??? :confused:

But to TRY to answer the question at the end....."what will it take to improve photographic skills?" - I'd say the same as to improve any skills....

Time, effort, desire and dedication. Lessons (classes and or workshops) are great but not always possible or affordable.

There is also natural talent that some are born with and most are not. Hard work and study can help compensate somewhat for a lack of talent, but equipment is far and away the least important element IMO (which I would have to bet is the prevalent opinion among established professionals).

Hand someone like Eric Clapton a cheap guitar and he'll make music with it. I am the opposite - I've been playing for over 40 years, have taken countess lessens, I practice every day still, but I haven't got "natural talent". I can play all the notes and hundreds of chords, but that doesn't make me a musician - I just don't have the talent - and there's not a thing I can do to change that as much as I'd like to. My 13 year old nephew has been playing less than two years and is better than I am already (an I started at the same age he did).

When I was a kid I figured I needed a better guitar. When I was an adult I eventually was able to buy three expensive guitars (two are very expensive). They do absolutely nothing to make my lack of natural talent any less of an obstacle. .

The only upside is high end guitars become more valuable over time - unlike expensive camera bodies that depreciate almost as fast as new computers and new cars.

Peace,
D.

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 13, 2010 16:42 as a reply to  @ Delija's post |  #9

Thanks, you answered my question perfectly and eloquently. It just takes hard work and dedication as it does with anything

johneo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 13, 2010 20:48 as a reply to  @ tmwag's post |  #10

Thanks for the input!

No, wouldn't even think to try and compare the SX130 IS with any digital SLR's but by the same means don't want something that, well, just sucks compared to them.

I think what I was really asking (and poorly I will add) is how does the camera function. I've read BAD reports on battery discharge ... then I've read good reports. I've read it takes crappy photos, then I've seen some that don't look bad.

Anyway, I've included the SX130 IS on my list to Santa, but was told "You have enough camera stuff!!!" (this from my wife that has about 20 dog crates for our 8 Labs) so I'll probably wait until after the first of the year and see what happens, though pretty sure I will be getting one on my own. ;)

I weighed all the reasons ... went to a wedding a few weeks back and wished I'd had a camera but didn't want to leave a dSLR sitting around most of the evening (overkill?) ... go over my sons house often and for quick snaps of my granddaughters with the 5D w/flash and packing a few lenses (just in case) is REALLY overkill. So I have decided a compact, pocket sized camera (such as the SX130 IS) will do nice for the casual stuff ... dSLR's will be for the serious stuff.

Thanks again!

Also, I agree with the comments about what makes a good photo (photographer?) ... hard work, dedication, lots of practice and patience.

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

stckciv
240 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 14, 2010 16:24 |  #11

I have a SX130 that I bought for my wife. It takes decent pics, and does HD video which I have done a lot with lately.

I use it when I don't want to take the DSLR around because of weight and other reasons mentioned.

The only issue I have with this camera and other PS's we have had is the recycle time between shots. The next time I buy a PS I will look for one that has a faster FPS speed. Other than that I think you would be happy with it.

There are always two people in every picture, the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

turtle2472
89 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2010 23:15 |  #12

stckciv wrote in post #11452621 (external link)

The only issue I have with this camera and other PS's we have had is the recycle time between shots. The next time I buy a PS I will look for one that has a faster FPS speed. Other than that I think you would be happy with it.

This is the issue my wife and I have with the SX 110 IS that my daughter just broke. We are in the market for a new camera for my wife now and I was looking at the 130 but it seems this wasn't fixed by the newer model. What kind of delay is there? The 110 had up to 10 seconds between shots at times if the batteries weren't 100% charged. (Apple rechargeable batteries work great in this thing BTW.)

Regards, Tony
Canon Rebel XT, Canon EFS 18-55, Canon 75-300 USM, Canon 100 USM Macro, Speedlite 430EX
I'm a photography student looking to learn. Constructive C & C are always welcomed and encouraged.

stckciv
240 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 21, 2010 01:01 |  #13

turtle2472 wrote in post #11488749 (external link)
This is the issue my wife and I have with the SX 110 IS that my daughter just broke. We are in the market for a new camera for my wife now and I was looking at the 130 but it seems this wasn't fixed by the newer model. What kind of delay is there? The 110 had up to 10 seconds between shots at times if the batteries weren't 100% charged. (Apple rechargeable batteries work great in this thing BTW.)

It is a P&S, so you get what you pay for. At times there is a 10 sec. delay, batteries do discharge faster than the previous models (she had the SX110)

For what it is, it has worked well for us. The added HD video is great and the important events we have both P&S & DSLR so they work well together. The AA batteries are great since we have a ton of rechargables.

If it is your main camera I think I would up my budget & get something a bit better & faster.

There are always two people in every picture, the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

turtle2472
89 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2010 01:16 |  #14

stckciv wrote in post #11489117 (external link)
It is a P&S, so you get what you pay for. At times there is a 10 sec. delay, batteries do discharge faster than the previous models (she had the SX110)

For what it is, it has worked well for us. The added HD video is great and the important events we have both P&S & DSLR so they work well together. The AA batteries are great since we have a ton of rechargables.

If it is your main camera I think I would up my budget & get something a bit better & faster.

Well, it's her primary camera. I'd spend the money on a better camera if the move is a good move. What's a good camera to look at if not this one?

Regards, Tony
Canon Rebel XT, Canon EFS 18-55, Canon 75-300 USM, Canon 100 USM Macro, Speedlite 430EX
I'm a photography student looking to learn. Constructive C & C are always welcomed and encouraged.

stckciv
240 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 21, 2010 09:26 |  #15

I would take your wife to the store and see what fits best in her hands and what she likes. They can show you the different models and move you toward something that fits what you are looking for.

Take in your memory card and try out a couple different models w/without flash, I have no idea how long it takes some of the other models such as the S95.

sponsored links

10,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon SX130 IS ... Good? Bad?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.