Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Dec 2010 (Sunday) 07:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mental checklist - Tips and Tricks?

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 12, 2010 07:39 |  #1

OK... As I move more into the realm of shooting mostly everything in manual, I find myself every so often forgetting a step and missing a few shots. I'll move from inside to outside and forget to change the ISO, or I put a remote trigger on my flash and forget to change it to manual and the proper exposure.

With so much to remember, do you guys have any tips or tricks to remember what has to be done with each shot? When you are shooting, what step do you do to insure you are making the proper adjustments each time to change scenes?

Thanks guys.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 12, 2010 09:44 |  #2

You just need to get into a routine. Do the same thing every time. Make it mnemonic if you need to.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. In a month, you'll be good to go if you just keep forcing yourself to get out there and adjust on the fly.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 12, 2010 10:15 |  #3

In my job I have many tasks that require attention to details and mental checklists. We all deal with it in our own way, but I think all the apprentices I have trained and myself and the guy that trained me arrived at some method of "starting point" thinking. There is a thought process that gets you to a point where you can devote your energy to being sure it is right. Tie up the loose ends of whatever was happening before, finish any conversations, put away any loose tools, and then begin to do the task. It gets easier to do after you do it about a gazillion times, the next big trick is learning to distrust yourself- being aware of and willing to stop everything and check up on your own ability to forget something and screw it up.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 12, 2010 10:36 |  #4

I'm pretty sure there's only one thing that matters when in Manual mode:

Look at the meter.

You say you forget to change the ISO when you walk inside? Then the meter will probably be way off to the left.
Metering for full manual flash control is explained here: (1/3 the way down) http://photonotes.org …les/eos-flash/index3.html (external link)

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mental checklist - Tips and Tricks?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.