Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Dec 2010 (Monday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light stand question

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2010 12:59 |  #1

I am VERY, VERY, VERY new to flash and off camera lighting.
I just purchased a Yonguo receiver set and now I would like to get a stand/umbrella to start playing around with off camera lighting.

I'm totally confused as to what I need though. I looked at Strobist.com and it only confused me more. My flash slides into the hotshoe of the Yonguo receiver. The bottom of the receiver has a hole with threads (like the bottom of the camera to go on a tripod). How do I attach this to a lightstand? What do I need to attach an umbrella? Can anyone recommend a decent lightstand and umbrella? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money at this point because I'm just practicing.

Thank you!

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 13, 2010 13:58 |  #2

Here is the light stand that I use. It is a well built stand and has the air cushion feature so it does not come crashing down if on of the sections gets loose.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ushioned_Light_​Stand.html (external link)
This is the umbrella bracket that you need to place on top of your stand. It will come with the threaded studs that screw into the bottom of the trigger and then that slides into this bracket.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …8709-REG/Impact_3117.html (external link)

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 14, 2010 08:24 |  #3

The light stand has a 1/4 x 20 threaded tip under a little black rubber protector at the very top of the stand. Remove the black rubber protector, screw the adapter onto the threaded tip, place the flash onto to adapter and turn the flash on. I hope you have some way to place an umbrella on the stand as you will not like the hard harsh shadows that you will get from the raw off camera speedlight.

Benji

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light stand question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.