Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Dec 2010 (Monday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

light gel question

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2010 13:02 |  #1

Where can I buy the gels that go on a flash? Pictures taken with my flash have a blue cast. I saw a kit on Amazon, but the reviews weren't that great and I don't need all those colors.

I need gels to match:
1. Indoor ambient light from lamps with CF bulbs
2. Outdoor fill flash and natural ambient light through a window

Thanks!

sponsored links
charlesml3
245 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 13, 2010 13:42 |  #2

Here you go:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …orrection_Filte​r_Kit.html (external link)

Note that you'll also need this or some other velcro attach method to use them:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …peed_Strap_for_​Speed.html (external link)

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 13, 2010 13:48 |  #3

You can make a gel holder out of a CD case cover. What I do is take a razor knife (be careful please) and score the plastic so I can break off pieces I don't want. Then I take something like a match or lighter and heat the plastic so it's hot enough to bend. I bend it in two places, one to form the gel holder and one to form the ledge. I put a piece of Velcro on the ledge, and one on the flash, and there you go. As long as you're careful and don't hold the flame under it too long it'll bend on its own without getting too "burnt".

It doesn't have to look pretty, all it has to do is hold gels...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i15.photobucket​.com …399/katodog/IMG​_1986a.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2010 14:37 as a reply to  @ katodog's post |  #4

But where can you buy the gels?

I have heard of people buying sheets and then cutting their own and securing them with gaffer's tape. Much cheaper than the speed strap version.

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2010 14:48 |  #5

For my speedlights, this is what I use: Rosco Strobist Kit (external link).

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

zack_mcc
39 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2010 14:50 |  #6

Cathpah wrote in post #11445485 (external link)
For my speedlights, this is what I use: Rosco Strobist Kit (external link).

I also use those

For $20, I couldn't justify any sort of DIY method.

Nikon D810 | Fujifilm X100T | Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 13, 2010 14:59 |  #7

You either order the gels from Roscoe or get them from a dealer...request a Swatchbook (external link). All you have to do is pay shipping, or you can get them for free at a local dealer.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2010 18:31 |  #8

OK, this might sound like a stupid question....but how do you know when to use what gel? Like how do I know which one is to balance the CF bulb light in my house for example?

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 13, 2010 18:52 |  #9

I'm not touching that one with a ten foot stick.

I don't use my gels for anything but coloring my smoke and water shots. Other than that they've been sitting in the cabinet in my office. I've used them a few times to see what different colors would do for portraits, but never got into it serious enough to find out what each color did for a particular shot. Most of the time it adds color, which may or may not be what you want. The lighter-colored ones, the ones that let more light pass through, would be useless for possibly overcoming white balance issues due to different types of room lighting.

I don't know, I'm not that smart.

woods289
187 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2010 19:02 as a reply to  @ katodog's post |  #10

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you could acheive the results you are after by getting a sheet of a few different levels of CTO gels IE: 1/8, 1/4, 3/4. Experiment with the different levels and figure out which one gives you the look you're after under particular light sources.

A lightproof box and a few peices of glass

woods289
187 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2010 19:04 as a reply to  @ woods289's post |  #11

You can warm your flash up a bit outside to more closely resemble golden hour sunlight with a bastard amber gel too.

A lightproof box and a few peices of glass

sponsored links

1,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
light gel question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.