Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The usual lens dance.

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2010 18:33 |  #1

I just sold my 85l and im alrewdy regretting it... The regret is i dont know what to replace it with. I want a cheaper option that i dont have to worry about if i dang it around or leave it in a corner for a few hours during an event. Obviously i want quality so im down to either the 85 sigma, 100l macro, or the nikkor 105 vr. Id love to hear some input, i have been riding comfortable with the 85l so i have never looked at anything else...

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 14, 2010 18:34 |  #2

The Sigma 85 seems like a good replacement, if you want to go even cheaper, the Canon 85 1.8?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 14, 2010 18:52 |  #3

i agree with the above, and also add the canon 100mm f2 to consider

you would go nikon? you also have nikon body? the nikkor 85mm f1.4 G is cheaper than Canon f1.2

Flickr (external link)

cskorik
845 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 14, 2010 22:11 |  #4

IMHO the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a great value. I'm getting sharp pics off of mine wide open on my 5D.

My portfolio (external link)!

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2010 22:25 |  #5

I sold my 85L as well, only to replace it with another one 3 weeks later. It's a hard lens to give up.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 14, 2010 22:52 |  #6

I have a Nikkor 105 2.5 manual focus in both AI and non AI. If manual focus will work this is a wonderful and legendary professional lens - it is also inexpensive. Another inexpensive professional 80 manual focus lens is the Mamiya 80 2.8. The Mamiya medium format 80 2.8 manual focus lenses go for about $60.

http://slrlensreview.c​om …80mm-f28-lens-review.html (external link)

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 15, 2010 01:00 |  #7

Thanks guys, yeah i have both systems, but th nikon g is only a little less expensive, im stll looking for af and good iq, so i narrowed it down to the above...

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Jeff81
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 15, 2010 01:19 |  #8

I've heard great things about the sigma 85, but the 100L could be nice too - IS and a great macro lens. It just kind depends on your needs.

6D | Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, Canon 85 f/1.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Fernando.R
313 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 15, 2010 01:48 |  #9

Haven't used any of the other ones you've mentioned. I rented the 85L II once and loved it (wished I had enough cash to get it) but ended up getting the 85 1.8. I love it. Small, light, fast, and sharp. I tend to shoot as wide open as possible and have absolutely no complaints.

http://imith.redbubble​.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/fernandoros​enberg/ (external link)

Canon 450D | Canon 5D MkII | 28-70mm f/2.8L | 85mm f/1.8 [COLOR="Red"]| [COLOR="Black"] Voigtlander 40mm F2 | 580EX II |

sponsored links

1,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
The usual lens dance.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.