Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I don't understand tilt-shift lens

AtMostFear
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 16, 2010 13:54 |  #1

After watching this video (external link) , I still don't understand what tilt shift lens does other than having less distortion and being able to produce the 'miniature' effect.

Instead of shifting the tilt shift lens 1inch upward, can't you just use a normal lens and move the whole camera up by 1 inch? and instead of tilting it by a certain degree, can't you just tilt the whole camera to get the same composition?

Can anyone give a better analogy on how the tilt shift is different than a normal lens?

5DII | 35L | 70-200 II | 50 1.4 | 430EXII | Gitzo GT1541T + Markins Q3T

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 16, 2010 13:56 |  #2

Do a Google search. There are many good explanations of T/S out there. Video to be avoided, in general. I think Outback Photography had one of the best ones.

GEAR LIST

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2010 13:57 |  #3

It's primary intended use is to allow you to keep the "film" plane parallel to your subject so you can avoid converging lines (buildings falling over backwards or falling in towards you) when shooting architecture.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 16, 2010 13:59 |  #4

It doesn't work that way, why don't you go outside and see if you can just "move your camera up" an inch and see if you can have correct lines?

Also about tilt, you can't just aim the camera up, then you change what you are looking at...

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 16, 2010 14:01 |  #5

I mostly use tilt in the macro world where you never have enough DOF. With tilt I can put the DOF I do have where I want it. Putting it where it should not be also makes for "cool" portraits.

GEAR LIST

monst0r
237 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 16, 2010 14:01 |  #6

Look into ray tracing and how it works, then you'll see why tilt-shift lenses have their place.

Gear List

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 16, 2010 14:03 |  #7

By ray tracing I am assuming you are not talking about CG?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 16, 2010 14:04 |  #8

Are we really helping the OP understand anything? Abbreviations can be confusing.

GEAR LIST

big_g
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2010 14:07 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #9

It moves the focus plane relative to the sensor. Moving the camera keeps the focus plane and the sensor aligned. You just look at something else

A weird technique called "free lensing" uses the same principle but you remove the lens from the camera and move it around to shift the focus plane. The results are unpredictable I guess but I have seen some interesting shots doing this

Very lucky to have a lot of nice toys :)
Flickr Site (external link)

monst0r
237 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 16, 2010 14:11 |  #10

themadman wrote in post #11464071 (external link)
By ray tracing I am assuming you are not talking about CG?

Nope just plain old ray tracing through a basic mirror or if you want a lens. It doesn't have to apply to CG, light works the same way [obviously that's what the CG is mimicking]. The effect of the tilt and shift will move the plane of focus wherever you want [which was iterated a few times already in this thread].

Gear List

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,065 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 16, 2010 14:40 |  #11

AtMostFear wrote in post #11464018 (external link)
After watching this video (external link) , I still don't understand what tilt shift lens does other than having less distortion and being able to produce the 'miniature' effect.

Instead of shifting the tilt shift lens 1inch upward, can't you just use a normal lens and move the whole camera up by 1 inch? and instead of tilting it by a certain degree, can't you just tilt the whole camera to get the same composition?

Can anyone give a better analogy on how the tilt shift is different than a normal lens?

I think of it this way:

A lens has a focal plane. With a normal lens this is perpendicular to the lens at some fixed distance.

So if you have a typical lens focused on a point 100 feet from you then you can think of a wall of focus at that distance. Everything closer is out of focus, everything further is out of focus. But that wall is always exactly perpendicular. (This oversimplifies it, but works for my brain. :))

With a TS lens you can alter that focal plane to be something other than a perpendicular wall. You can "shift" the focus to a different angle. So now the wall doesn't have to be flat in front of you, it can be at an angle in front of you with everything along that wall in focus.

The same effect can alter the vertical dimension via "tilt" changes.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 16, 2010 14:48 |  #12

^^^ actually, the plane of focus is normally parallel to the sensor plane, not perpendicular to it and the shift function doesn't change that - the tilt function does.

Edit - ah, you said, "to the lens." Yes, that is correct, but I think that it's more helpful to think of it in reference to the sensor plane, not the lens. Your descriptions of the tilt and shift functions are still incorrect, though.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 16, 2010 14:48 |  #13

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11464036 (external link)
It's primary intended use is to allow you to keep the "film" plane parallel to your subject so you can avoid converging lines (buildings falling over backwards or falling in towards you) when shooting architecture.

Best answer so far, and correct to boot! ;)

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 16, 2010 14:56 |  #14

I recommend renting or borrowing a 4x5 camera and obtaining one of the many books that discuss LF techniques and see it for your self. The Scheimpflug is a great tool for increasing DOF in a scene. Literally you are bending the lens plane (against the film plane) to the scene; i.e. moving the lens closer to infinity for far field and closer to point of origin for close field. Shifts are best when you can't move or there are restrictions and you are looking for perfect parallel placement such as architecture.

VictorRosePhoto
32 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 16, 2010 15:01 as a reply to  @ richardfox's post |  #15

I find this (external link) video helped me understand a lot more about tilt/shift lenses.

Website (external link)
Instagram: @victorrosephoto (external link) and @victorrosepets (external link)

sponsored links

3,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
I don't understand tilt-shift lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.