Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 15:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED.....

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2010 15:08 |  #1

Did you all start using the camera in FULL MANUAL mode or start with aids like Av, Tv, etc?
What are the pros and cons to both? Which was more helpful to you?

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 16, 2010 15:12 |  #2

I still use Av and Tv...

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,573 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 16, 2010 15:13 |  #3

I started using the semi-auto modes because it gave me fewer things to think about at any one time; however, the downside to that was that it was harder for me to follow what was going on with the rest of my exposure because the camera was doing it for me.

Once I switched to M, it became easier, faster to understand what effect each of the settings (shutter, aperture, ISO) had on my pictures. Once all of that info clicked it was easier to go back to Av/Tv when I knew I wasn't going to care about all of them individually, yet still be comfortable kicking into M when the camera was just being dim-witted.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,952 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2010 15:18 |  #4

When I first started I used full manual because there wasn't anything else. That was 40+ years ago.

So I am very familiar with manual shooting, but with DSLRs I shoot in Av unless I have a reason to use another mode. Most of the time I want to control aperture for the desired depth of field.

Exceptions:

- I shoot Tv under fluorescent or arc lighting, such as you'd find in a gym, in order to avoid the color striping caused by the flicker of the lights - in North America that means a shutter speed of 1/125 or 1/60;

- M for flash, when I let the ETTL flash control exposure;

- M for situations which have constant lighting but varying subject reflectance, like a basketball game where one team has white jerseys and the other has dark ones;

- M for panoramas, so all the frames have identical exposure;

- P for handing the camera to a novice (P actually works pretty well).

There is a conflict between the first and third situations - even under arc lights, sometimes you have to use a shutter speed that's too fast for the flickering lights. It's a problem.

I'm not a purist who uses M at all times because "it's professional". And I'll bet that most working pros aren't either.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 16, 2010 15:49 |  #5

You should get a broad variety of answers to this because people come into this from all kinds of levels of experience and understanding. So, one person will jump into shooting Manual, on into Av or Tv, one into P and one into Auto/Green Box or using the Auto Scene Modes.

And, guess what? There is no "Right" way or "Wrong" way. Each person has to start somewhere and, depending on where we are and have been in whatever type of photography we may (or may not) have been practicing, and, whether or not photography is something we've been studying and preparing to launch into "seriously".

I've personally used a combination mainly of M and Av, switching between the two as a scene and conditions required. I guess when I first started with a DSLR I shot mainly Av because it seemed to be a good mode to be in as I was learning to use the gear, and then at some point I began shooting mainly M so I could really learn to work in that mode and get good results, but then since have switched fairly freely between the two.

But, that was after some years of using not just point and shoot cameras but "advanced" compact digicams, spending a lot of time reading up on photography and practicing with those cameras, so I became pretty familiar with all the various modes.

My advice is to learn about all the modes and spend time with them until you are comfortable using them and undertand their strengths as well as their weakness. In time, what you use will grow out of the type of photography you normally shoot, but I'd say that a beginner would do well to learn to be "well rounded" unless you already have a specialty that you will spend all your time shooting.

Of course, if you've spent a lot of time with a P&S camera you probably don't need to "learn" Auto/Green Box mode...:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Beau1k
295 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 16, 2010 16:29 |  #6

There should be a hand held button option! Like Av+H :D Problem with AV mode is that the shutter speed can become so long that if you are hand holding your pic may come out supper blurry. With TV at least you can hedge your bet and choose a speed that's appropriate to hand holding. Same can be done in M but again with M it's not as quick and takes more setup time.

7D - Transcend 32GB 600x - 70/200 IS II & 17-55 - Dolica Proline Carbon Fiber

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2010 16:45 |  #7

Beau1k wrote in post #11464915 (external link)
There should be a hand held button option! Like Av+H :D Problem with AV mode is that the shutter speed can become so long that if you are hand holding your pic may come out supper blurry. With TV at least you can hedge your bet and choose a speed that's appropriate to hand holding. Same can be done in M but again with M it's not as quick and takes more setup time.

I disagree. If shooting in Av mode, it should be second nature to check what shutter speed the camera is giving you, and if it's likely to give you problems with camera shake, either dial in a wider aperture setting or up the ISO.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Johnnyk_1
345 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2010 16:51 |  #8

just started like 2 wks ago and been shooting in M, pics dont come out all the great but i do know how to correct to get correct exposure. Still learning a bunch!

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 16, 2010 16:56 |  #9

Johnnyk_1 wrote in post #11465044 (external link)
just started like 2 wks ago and been shooting in M, pics dont come out all the great but i do know how to correct to get correct exposure. Still learning a bunch!

Have you tried using auto to get the right shot, then reading the exif data to learn from it?

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

MP4/8
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 16, 2010 16:58 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Beau1k wrote in post #11464915 (external link)

What kind of light are you shooting in, and what is your ISO?

Both your lenses are f/2.8's and have 3 stop IS.

You shouldn't be having blurry photos....

Canon T2i ** EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 ** EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS ** EF 50mm f/1.8 II ** EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro ** Lensbaby ** Canon S5 IS P/S camera
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." : Albert Einstein

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,952 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2010 16:59 |  #11

Sorarse wrote in post #11465010 (external link)
I disagree. If shooting in Av mode, it should be second nature to check what shutter speed the camera is giving you, and if it's likely to give you problems with camera shake, either dial in a wider aperture setting or up the ISO.

Sure.

Furthermore, with a bit of experience you should be able to judge the light level by eye and set an appropriate ISO so that shutter speeds are in the right range before taking the first shot.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

iamchanel
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2010 17:15 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #12

Thanks for all these really great replies. Wow, everyone does do it differently.

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 16, 2010 17:16 |  #13

Full auto look at what the camera read, then switch over to manual and play with the settings. Now I still shoot full manual and love it.

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

MP4/8
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 16, 2010 17:27 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

35mmNewbie wrote in post #11465166 (external link)
Full auto look at what the camera read, then switch over to manual and play with the settings. Now I still shoot full manual and love it.

You can do the same with starting in Av mode, after you've selected the aperture for the DOF you want, snap a pics, look at the shutter speed that the camera selected to get the proper exposure, and then dial that in, along with your aperture, in M mode, and start firing away.

Canon T2i ** EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 ** EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS ** EF 50mm f/1.8 II ** EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro ** Lensbaby ** Canon S5 IS P/S camera
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." : Albert Einstein

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2010 17:28 |  #15

I first got 'serious' about photography four or five years ago, and that first year I shot pretty much entirely in Av mode. Realistically it works OK, but you do end up dealing with the shortcomings of reflective meters which limits your ability to really push the limits in tough light.

I stuck with Av because I was worried about being able to arrive at a correct exposure fast enough and deal with changing light. It took a while for me to figure out a couple things:
1) Metering is not all that tough (easy to say with the benefit of hindsight)
2) Light conditions are usually not changing at all.

M mode is what I almost always use now, because I know I can meter once (by various methods) and the setting will likely be correct for the whole shoot.

Two examples:

1) - I shoot a lot of HS sports as a business. Once I have shot a gym, I know that gym settings. I never meter again. I can look at past shots and arrive at the gym with the camera already set to shoot. The light will always be the same in there.

2) - I can sometimes meter well before I go to shoot. I remember one time I was taking my kids to a parade in town. As I loaded the camera in a bag, I pointed it outside (cloudy day) and metered the grass. I set the exposure then and there and pulled the camera from the bag at the parade ready to shoot.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

2,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED.....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.