Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&W C&C need nelp with this please

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 16, 2010 15:21 |  #1

Hi
my daughter and her boyfriend wanted a few to put in a frame.
please let me know what you think. here boyfriend wanted dramatic black and white.
ss 125, f/9, shoot through umbrella.
Do you think I should try to edit it?

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 499104 does not exist. ]

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links
imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 16, 2010 15:29 |  #2

Overexposes on the right and not enough fill on the left (in my humble opinion).

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

lmyamen
627 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 16, 2010 16:07 |  #3

imahawki wrote in post #11464568 (external link)
Overexposes on the right and not enough fill on the left (in my humble opinion).

From a standpoint of what the boyfriend wanted though that gives the dramatic look to the B&W. I think you acheived the look he wanted. Good job.

Sony A7
Fuji X100s

GoRk
587 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 16, 2010 16:09 |  #4

imahawki wrote in post #11464568 (external link)

i agree completely

My Facebook fan page https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/16169​8317237346 (external link)
Thnx for visiting
5D2 | 50mm f/1.4| 16-35mm f/2.8 II L | 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L|

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 16, 2010 16:21 |  #5

I think it's fine it would be more dramatic if the background was black. I don't know why it could be my tired eyes but are the eyes soft?

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 17, 2010 08:16 as a reply to  @ ChuckingFluff's post |  #6

Thanks for all the comments.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 17, 2010 08:48 |  #7

Quick and rough. Too hot on the shirts, shadows need work, so light placement should be adjusted, which would probably bring the ratio into balance.

Sample is just a quick look at more dramatic version. I see why you were trying to wash out the skin tones. Better fix in retouch tools.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 17, 2010 09:09 |  #8

Others pointed out the lighting error. When I shoot 2 people, I move the light (if single) more over my right shoulder than 45 degrees due to the hot spot potential and light fall off at the other side of the young woman's face.

At second glance, with the bodies facing left, I probably would have put the light off my left shoulder.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 17, 2010 09:25 |  #9

When lighting two people and one of them is a female always use the best lighting pattern on the female as she will be vastly more critical about how she looks in the portrait than he will be.

Critique. The main light was on the correct side of the subjects but it was too low. The catchlights should be at the 1 o'clock position not the three o'clock position as above. Had the main light been in the correct position those rather unusual bright spots beside both of the subject's mouths would not have been there.

Had the main light been at camera left, her white blouse would have received the brunt of the main light and her chest would have been extremely bright (like her shoulder is now.)

I would have liked to see them separated a little bit in order to allow her to turn her head toward him giving the image some more pizzazz. Good expression on her, but he was trying too hard to look cool.

Benji

GoRk
587 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 17, 2010 11:21 |  #10

advaitin wrote in post #11468449 (external link)
Quick and rough. Too hot on the shirts, shadows need work, so light placement should be adjusted, which would probably bring the ratio into balance.

Sample is just a quick look at more dramatic version. I see why you were trying to wash out the skin tones. Better fix in retouch tools.

dude, u failed...

My Facebook fan page https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/16169​8317237346 (external link)
Thnx for visiting
5D2 | 50mm f/1.4| 16-35mm f/2.8 II L | 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L|

FamilyJules
Goldmember
3,104 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 17, 2010 17:22 |  #11

I can't help in the way of light placement and strength of the strobes, as I generally use natural light for most of my portraits, but I did notice, like the others, that they're really hot on their left side.
We've lost detail in the whites and the drop off is much too harsh on their right sides.
I would bump the contrast up a tad, too. Your conversion looks a little flat.
I did a quick edit (your file was small, so I did what I could with what I had).
I just selectively lightened their right sides
bumped the contrast
brought back a little detail in their shirts
gave their eyes a little kick
cloned out some stray hairs and all of the pesky lens dust
and warmed up the BW conversion (this was personal choice, as I am more partial to warm BW's)

Yours:

IMAGE: http://jwilsonphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Advertising/Georgina-Test/1129696079_otxvD-L.jpg

edited:
IMAGE: http://jwilsonphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Advertising/Georgina-Testf/1129696121_zLs8N-L-1.jpg

Your couple looks really relaxed and comfortable in front of you and your camera :)

*Jules* Gear: 2 x 7D| 40D | 2 x 17-55 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85 1.4 | 70-200 2.8 IS |28-135 IS | 3 x 580EX II | www.JulieWilsonPhotos.​com (external link) or join me on Facebook (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 18, 2010 11:18 |  #12

If the couple wanted a "dramatic black and white", wouldn't that call for dramatic lighting, a higher ratio maybe, like 4:1, more control over the light/shadow? if that is the case, I would NOT use any fill light on one side and would pp it without raising up the shadows on the left side. clearly, i don't have a clue what I'm talking about, Im not quite sure why I don't call it dramatic. But while i think this is a nice shot, i wouldn't call it dramatic.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

1,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&W C&C need nelp with this please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.