Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 or 24-105 for indoor flash

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2010 18:36 |  #16

Frugal wrote in post #11464747 (external link)
Yes but for a given shutter speed you can shoot in a 1 stop darker ambient with f/2.8 vs f/4. - provided the DOF works for you

And what does that have to do with flash?

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2010 18:41 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Frugal wrote in post #11464747 (external link)
Yes but for a given shutter speed you can shoot in a 1 stop darker ambient with f/2.8 vs f/4. - provided the DOF works for you

You know, if the flash light does not spill to the background, you can get as much shallower DOF shooting at F8 as in shooting at F2.....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 16, 2010 18:54 |  #18

Flash and lenses: who knew there was a connection?

GEAR LIST

say_cheese
803 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 16, 2010 18:58 |  #19

I have both these great lenses. For indoor flash work, I just love the 24-70 on my 1DmkIII with the 580 EXII. Just a great combination. I can quickly switch off the flash and use f2.8 for low light non flash shots. Outdoors I always go for the 24-105, more versatile. If I could only have one lens it would be a real sophie's choice.

Tools: Canon 5DmkII, Sony a6400, Fujifilm X100V

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2010 19:05 |  #20

gasrocks wrote in post #11465626 (external link)
Flash and lenses: who knew there was a connection?

Not me, yet, but there's a hint of one from JeffreyG.

I always just figured that flash illuminated the scene, and a lens let the light through to the sensor; two functionally separate areas.

Granted, if one is working on the edge, where a flash is giving its all, and ISO is maxed out (practically speaking with respect to noise), where DoF is not a limitation, a faster lens could make a difference. Seems a rare set of circumstances to me.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2010 19:35 |  #21

xarqi wrote in post #11465711 (external link)
Not me, yet, but there's a hint of one from JeffreyG.

I always just figured that flash illuminated the scene, and a lens let the light through to the sensor; two functionally separate areas.

Granted, if one is working on the edge, where a flash is giving its all, and ISO is maxed out (practically speaking with respect to noise), where DoF is not a limitation, a faster lens could make a difference. Seems a rare set of circumstances to me.

My wife has the desktop computer tied up so I cannot post an example.

But I recently shot some pictures of a work gathering at my boss' house. I put a 1/2 CTO gel on the 430EX and shot at 1/25, ISO1600 and f/4 (ironically, I was using the 24-105L at the time despite my post). This approach preserves ambient lighting which was needed because my boss has a big house.

So - yes, aperture can matter with flash if you are in a room that is bigger than a bounced flash can light.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2010 19:36 |  #22

The Canon 18-55 IS will do great with flash also, not sure why you want to spend all that money on L glass to worry about flash....

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2010 20:08 |  #23

JeffreyG wrote in post #11465863 (external link)
My wife has the desktop computer tied up so I cannot post an example.

But I recently shot some pictures of a work gathering at my boss' house. I put a 1/2 CTO gel on the 430EX and shot at 1/25, ISO1600 and f/4 (ironically, I was using the 24-105L at the time despite my post). This approach preserves ambient lighting which was needed because my boss has a big house.

So - yes, aperture can matter with flash if you are in a room that is bigger than a bounced flash can light.

That'll be the edge I was referring to. Mind you, a 580 EX would have helped too, but not a whole stop.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2010 20:25 |  #24

xarqi wrote in post #11466069 (external link)
That'll be the edge I was referring to. Mind you, a 580 EX would have helped too, but not a whole stop.

580EX would have made no difference as the flash was not firing at full power.

Here are some examples. The issue is quite simple in a large room. The background will often be several times as far from the light source (the ceiling hot spot in this case) as the subject. So ETTL will expose the subject.

If you do not expose the background reasonably well for ambient light, the background will become a dark cave. Also - you must gel the flash or the subjects and backgrounds will have very different color temperatures.

So here is ISO1600, f/4 and 1/25. Flash freezes the subjects so I can live with such a low shutter speed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2010 21:46 |  #25

OK - so - if you'd had an f/2.8 lens, would that have made a difference? Say the ambient light was half as bright. You could open up that extra stop, or, since you are freezing the subjects with flash anyway, you could double the exposure time.

I'm still looking for a "non-edge" condition where lens speed interacts with flash usage.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2010 22:00 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

xarqi wrote in post #11466571 (external link)
OK - so - if you'd had an f/2.8 lens, would that have made a difference? Say the ambient light was half as bright. You could open up that extra stop, or, since you are freezing the subjects with flash anyway, you could double the exposure time.

I'm still looking for a "non-edge" condition where lens speed interacts with flash usage.

Looking at the shots, I think the ambient light is bright enough for people have a dinner under. Since he is bouncing the flash off the ceiling, that alone will contribute additional ambient light fill. Also, he isn't using the flash as fill flash. It is not important to have a properly exposed ambient light. He only needed to fill the background. The flash here is the main light source.

Facebook (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2010 22:53 |  #27

TooManyShots wrote in post #11466642 (external link)
Looking at the shots, I think the ambient light is bright enough for people have a dinner under. Since he is bouncing the flash off the ceiling, that alone will contribute additional ambient light fill. Also, he isn't using the flash as fill flash. It is not important to have a properly exposed ambient light. He only needed to fill the background. The flash here is the main light source.

I *think* you are saying what I think is going on - background illuminated by available (= 'ambient') light; subjects illuminated by bounced flash.

My most recent question was, how would a faster lens have helped?

My scenario was that if the ambient light (illuminating the background) was half as bright, a one stop faster lens would do the job if DoF wasn't an issue.

But, since the subjects are frozen with flash, would not halving the shutter speed be equally effective?

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2010 23:03 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

xarqi wrote in post #11466866 (external link)
I *think* you are saying what I think is going on - background illuminated by available (= 'ambient') light; subjects illuminated by bounced flash.

My most recent question was, how would a faster lens have helped?

My scenario was that if the ambient light (illuminating the background) was half as bright, a one stop faster lens would do the job if DoF wasn't an issue.

But, since the subjects are frozen with flash, would not halving the shutter speed be equally effective?

You have to ask him if he did need to tone down the exposure during the post processing. I clearly didn't think he would need ISO1600 to get in all the ambient light. You don't want too slow of the shutter speed since it will generate noise too even if the ISO isn't high. I don't think a f2.8 lens would make any difference here. Back to the OP questions, a F2.8 lens won't make low light shooting easier than a F4 lens.

Facebook (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 16, 2010 23:25 |  #29

I have a preference to f/2.8 zooms so I'd go for more "pop" separating the subject/background with a faster zoom in both ambient or flash exposure situations or mix of both.

If your shooting groups and stuck in close distances you must stop down. Doesn't matter if you using an f/4 or f/2.8 in this case.

However bokeh is without a doubt more pleasant in the 24-70L.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2010 23:30 |  #30

TooManyShots wrote in post #11466905 (external link)
You don't want too slow of the shutter speed since it will generate noise too even if the ISO isn't high.

:shock: News to me - what's the physical basis for that? I'd have thought the longer the better, as photon noise would average out over a longer period.

sponsored links

7,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 or 24-105 for indoor flash
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.