Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 or 24-105 for indoor flash

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 17, 2010 05:18 |  #31

The shots I showed, where I am 'dragging the shutter' are a combination of both flash exposure and ambient exposure. Because the background is exposed by ambient, the maximum aperture can be important to the shot. That's really all I am saying.

Some people in this thread were implying that if you are using flash then the aperture only matters for DOF. I felt in necessary to point out that aperture can also be important for blended exposures.

I will also cheerfully admit that blended exposure (flash + ambient) reduces demand for fast lenses. For one thing, you can get away with pretty slow shutter speeds. The flash will freeze the subjects (so long as they are not moving really fast) and the background is OOF anyway. Second, you must underexpose the subject/background by at least one stop so that the flash is more than just fill. This again reduces the needed exposure.

Back to my examples - I shot this ISO1600, f/4 and 1/25 and the ambient is underexposed by 1 and 1/3 stops.

To shoot this without flash I would have wanted a shutter speed of 1/125, so I need to find a total of 3 and 2/3 stops more light between the aperture and the ISO to both increase the shutter speed and also have the correct exposure.

So that's ISO3200, 1/125 and f/1.6

And of course, that shot at the table would never have worked at f/1.6.

So what am I concluding.....apertur​e sometimes matters with flash, but less than when shooting ambient. And combining ambient and flash can really let you get away with slower apertures (gain DOF when needed) in low light.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 17, 2010 09:57 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

xarqi wrote in post #11466988 (external link)
:shock: News to me - what's the physical basis for that? I'd have thought the longer the better, as photon noise would average out over a longer period.

Try it, shoot a scene at 1/3s versus 1/100s. You would either get some burn light or burn pixel from the sensor....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 17, 2010 15:14 |  #33

JeffreyG wrote in post #11467814 (external link)
The shots I showed, where I am 'dragging the shutter' are a combination of both flash exposure and ambient exposure. Because the background is exposed by ambient, the maximum aperture can be important to the shot. That's really all I am saying.

This clarifies the situation well. Here, a faster lens is not an advantage because flash is being used, but because the ambient light is low. Coincidentally, because ambient light is low, flash may also offer a separate advantage.

I'm back to seeing no real connection between flash and lens speed (except in the limiting case).

TooManyShots wrote in post #11468767 (external link)
Try it, shoot a scene at 1/3s versus 1/100s. You would either get some burn light or burn pixel from the sensor....

I'll give that a go sometime.

thesupe87
305 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 24, 2010 12:12 |  #34

What about shooting high key - over a blown out white background. Which lens has more CA? 24-70 or 24-105? I can't deal with editing purple fringing out of studio portraits, or product shots - it's annoying as anything and the post production slows me down. That's why I don't shoot with my 50 f1.8 - usually I stick to my 70-200 f4, but the amount of backspace I need to shoot is annoying. My 18-55 IS even is pretty good, very low CA that's easy to correct with a quick slider adjustment in Lightroom.

Portfolio (external link) | BLOG (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link)
:D Gripped 5D Mark II | 40D | 24-70L | 70-200 f4L | 100L f2.8 Macro | 85 f1.8 | 50 f1.8 | 18-55 IS | (3)B800s | Manfrotto 055XPROB / 496RC2

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 24, 2010 12:59 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

thesupe87 wrote in post #11508522 (external link)
What about shooting high key - over a blown out white background. Which lens has more CA? 24-70 or 24-105? I can't deal with editing purple fringing out of studio portraits, or product shots - it's annoying as anything and the post production slows me down. That's why I don't shoot with my 50 f1.8 - usually I stick to my 70-200 f4, but the amount of backspace I need to shoot is annoying. My 18-55 IS even is pretty good, very low CA that's easy to correct with a quick slider adjustment in Lightroom.

With a white background, I believe in general you light them up separately....:) You independently expose the white background and the subject.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 or 24-105 for indoor flash
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.