Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 23:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Idea to protect strobe in snow...

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2010 23:01 |  #1

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to protect my Einsteins in the snow? I am going to be shooting some snowboarding with them and I need to make sure, in case it snows, that the lights are protected.

I was thinking about using a plastic garbage bag and taping it to the reflector and put it over the light, but leave the front of the reflector open to dissipate the heat from the flash tube better. Should I be afraid of it melting?

Any other ideas?

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
belgianbob
54 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 22, 2010 08:54 |  #2

Should be ok if you don't plan on using the modeling light, as that's what's really going to heat the reflector up.
I don't know if the Einsteins are fan-cooled; if they are, you probably want to allow free air flow to the vents, so I'd think about that as well.

5D, 24-105L F4 IS, lots of old EOS bodies, manual bodies and lenses, Bronicas, Metz CL45s, many bulldog clips and gaffer tape, all stuffed into my 20 year old Billingham!
And then there's the Elinchroms...

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 22, 2010 09:45 |  #3

I know Chase Jarvis took a bunch of Broncolors out in the snow for an ad campaign and did nothing to protect the actual strobe heads, themselves, so I think you'll be ok as long as you pay attention.

Muskydave22
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 22, 2010 17:56 |  #4

There is a difference in build between Broncolor and Einsteins, so I think I want to protect them somehow. They are fan cooled, so I am thinking of putting some holes in the bottom of the bag to allow some air flow, and I will not be using the modeling light, but I will be firing the strobe at very fast rates, 10FPS more than likely.

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Craig ­ in ­ LA
133 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 22, 2010 19:30 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I don't know of any strobes that are actually considered "weather-sealed". I've read a few posts here that describe what happens when water gets spilled on a strobe's capacitors. ... Not good.

Also, I would be very concerned if you're going to have long periods between shots, where the flash tube may get very cold. ... A sudden pop at full power will generate a lot of heat, and I'd be afraid of what might happen. I don't have have Einsteins, but my BXRi500s are nearly as powerful, and the tube gets REALLY hot when I'm shooting at full power. Also, I don't know about how well sealed the Einsteins are, but my BXRis have lots of ways water & snow could get in. I doubt the Einsteins are any better.

Fortunately, it doesn't snow in Alexandria !

--- Craig ---

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 22, 2010 19:40 |  #6

Muskydave22 wrote in post #11499294 (external link)
....but I will be firing the strobe at very fast rates, 10FPS more than likely.

Dave, I don't know of ANY studio flash that will work at that recycling rate, especially at any setting near full power output. One shot at a time, well timed for the action, would be far superior to "machinegun mode" in my opinion. That way you could properly light the scene with a studio flash unit.

If you must use the 10FPS rate, you'll want continuous lighting. The problem I can envision, though, is that you'll virtually blind the folks who have the light aimed at them.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 22, 2010 19:53 |  #7

I would think your best defense will be an assistant standing there with your light and light stand, with an umbrella to hold over the top of it in case it's snowing. From what I have seen of the Einsteins, and certainly the B series lights from PCB.....these things were definitely not made for use in any kind of inclement weather. There are so many holes and slots on my B800's....about a half dozen snowflakes would probably get something in there wet !

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Muskydave22
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 22, 2010 20:22 |  #8

I'm not going to need to use full power, I am going to use the Einstein in action mode at about 60- 80 w/s or about 1/8th power and I have only 1/3 stop difference in exposure from start to 15 frames in. I think that will work for my machine gun mode. I think my bag idea will work since the won't really be any heat build up from the tube. I only have to use the "weather shield" if it snows, which I don't know if it will.

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 22, 2010 21:24 |  #9

Muskydave22 wrote in post #11499294 (external link)
There is a difference in build between Broncolor and Einsteins, so I think I want to protect them somehow.

Water is water, electricity is electricity, no matter the brand name you're using. Water will flow where it wants to, electricity will happily follow along for the ride.

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 22, 2010 21:34 |  #10

Simple solution: umbrella secured to the stand or head. If that's too much effort then also consider any kind of sturdy pole to jam into the snow and secure the umbrella to that. Personally if I were to shoot out there I'd probably use some kind of sealant everywhere or the umbrella. A bag has too many variables that would make things go bad.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

sponsored links

1,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
Idea to protect strobe in snow...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.