Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

paper "types" or finishes

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 22, 2010 19:38 |  #1

I've been using glossy papers (mostly from Canon) and decided I want to try something with a little less shine but I don't want to go to matte. So I've been looking at Canon and Inkpress papers and find that Canon has both a semi-gloss and a satin finish. Inkpress has semi-gloss and lustre.
Can someone possibly categorize the differences between these? Also, Inkpress labels some of their papers as being RC; what's the implication of the paper being resin coated when used in an inkjet printer?
Thanks

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 22, 2010 19:56 |  #2

Did you by chance look in the Inkpress site for compatibility issues with your printer and printer profiles specifically to be used with your printer? I'll let someone who knows stuff answer the RC question 'cause I know diddly, but I do know that you want to "get the goods" on how non-OEM paper works with your printer, and part of that is ensuring that they can provide a profile that you can use. Some places will tell you just to set your paper type to a particular Canon but...I'd have to do some serious testing before I could print confidently with that advice.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 22, 2010 20:28 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

They say they have "custom" profiles. To me that should mean "specifically made for your printer." I think I'll write to them.
I agree with you on the "set your paper type to a particular Canon" bit.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 22, 2010 20:38 |  #4

Yeah, get more info -- there are good companies such as Red River that will provide paper with profiles specific to your printer.

Also, these profiles are actually of practical use if you are using Photoshop -- you can use them to Soft Proof. Maybe you know this already...

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 23, 2010 10:31 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #5

I got an email from Inkpress today and they say they make their own profiles for each specific printer. I think I see some Inkpress paper in my future.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 23, 2010 10:36 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #11500165 (external link)
Also, these profiles are actually of practical use if you are using Photoshop -- you can use them to Soft Proof. Maybe you know this already...

This is humor, right? :) I think I've spent more time softproofing with papers I don't have than with papers I have!
That's how I got turned on to Canon Pro Platinum; the softproof is almost exactly like the original with no corrections.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 23, 2010 12:29 |  #7

ncjohn wrote in post #11502801 (external link)
This is humor, right? :) I think I've spent more time softproofing with papers I don't have than with papers I have!
That's how I got turned on to Canon Pro Platinum; the softproof is almost exactly like the original with no corrections.

Heh! That's scary -- of course you want to Soft Proof if you are sending to a lab and you have their profils -- that is what you want from a lab, or you can Soft Proof for paper you have and with the profile matching the paper with your printer, but to softproof for paper you don't have for doing your own printing is, well, only something you might do if the paper suppliers are very specific in an exact paper profile for your specific printer, otherwise it's a toss of the dice!

Tony

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 23, 2010 14:43 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #11503376 (external link)
Heh! That's scary -- of course you want to Soft Proof if you are sending to a lab and you have their profils -- that is what you want from a lab, or you can Soft Proof for paper you have and with the profile matching the paper with your printer, but to softproof for paper you don't have for doing your own printing is, well, only something you might do if the paper suppliers are very specific in an exact paper profile for your specific printer, otherwise it's a toss of the dice!

No, what happened is that I was very disappointed to see just how bad a softproofed image looked.:) And I noticed at some point that a softproofed image on Platinum paper looked almost the same as before softproofing. So I started checking papers to see how they compared in that department. After I finished all the Canon papers I began downloading profiles for my printer (Seems like everybody makes profiles for the Pro9000mkII.) from other paper makers. Now it makes sense, right?:)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 23, 2010 15:22 |  #9

Hey, well the proof of the pudding and all -- it will all click when you get a profile and a paper that will give a Soft Proof that matches a print!

Tony

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 23, 2010 15:39 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #11504276 (external link)
Hey, well the proof of the pudding and all -- it will all click when you get a profile and a paper that will give a Soft Proof that matches a print!

Oh, well, it's clicking okay.:) As long as I'm using either Platinum or Plus Glossy II, the prints match the screen pretty well. So now it's time to venture into a different type of paper.

crackennz
374 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 24, 2010 00:45 |  #11

maybe give the hahnemuhle baryta papers a go...slightly gloss and stippled texture...kind of like the best mix of matte and gloss...

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 24, 2010 11:02 as a reply to  @ crackennz's post |  #12

Well, I said that Inkpress makes their own profiles, but I got another email from them today in response to another email I sent them and it looks like maybe they don't. I don't really know.
I posted about it in another thread "Printing too bright and light."

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 24, 2010 12:08 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #13

I have printed inkpress luster paper on a cheaper Canon printer (MP970), using Inkpress's own profiles (their web page clearly points to the right one and gives printer-specific advice on paper selection from the printer's menus). The results have been consistently excellent, better than I get with Canon's own profiles and paper plus glossy II. It's now my standard paper with that printer.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 24, 2010 12:13 |  #14

Go here -- http://www.redrivercat​alog.com/browse/index.​htm (external link) -- for more info on paper...quite a lot of data.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 24, 2010 12:19 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #15

I'm glad it's working for you; the reason I said I don't know whether they make their own profiles is that first they told me they do make their own. But then when I asked whether the profile on their page is actually Canon's profile, they said yes! And then they told me which Canon profiles to use for the Inkpress papers.??? If they have their own profiles, why would I want to use Canon profiles?
Anyway, maybe I'll do like you and try their luster paper and the profile they supply (regardless of whose it is).

sponsored links

2,175 views & 0 likes for this thread
paper "types" or finishes
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.