Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I bought a lemon from Craigslist :(

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 13:15 |  #1

Hi everyone, first sad post here. Here's my quick story.

I bought a 24-105mm lens from Craigslist yesterday. I paid 650$ for it. The price seemed really low, but it's not unusual to see deals popping from time to time here. I contacted the guys and had a meet-up.

By talking with him, he seemed to know nothing about photography. We were outside and it was snowing. I wanted to make this fast. He showed me the lens and I mounted on my 60D. Took a picture at 24mm, F4. AF was perfect, same for IS. Picture was sharp. I took a second picture, 24mm at F8. Again, everything was perfect. Took a last picture at 105mm, F4. Same as before, the picture was perfect.

I than expected the lens and it was in fairly great condition. Some minor dust outside and 2-3 particles inside. Nothing major. I than bought it.

Once home, I hurried to try it more. Upon using it, I got ERR 01. I cleaned the contact and tried again, still the same. I than came here, searched and found those topics : 1 and 2

I tried my lens back. At 24mm, all works perfectly. As soon as you zoom, you can't use it expect at F4. I have the same problem as them. I searched more and found LOT and LOT of people with the same issue. See here (external link)

Here is a video of the faulty lens in action : http://www.youtube.com …0&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

And here is a whole topic with people who have had the same problem : http://cinema5d.com/vi​ewtopic.php?f=11&t=163​72 (external link)

I still can't believe Canon hasn't acknowledged the problem. It seem to be a pretty common design flaw. So I guess my only option is to send it to Canon to get a repair quote. In the end, it will probably cost me more than if I had bought it brand new :(

So here it is, I'm stuck with a dead 24-105. If this post can help at least one person in not doing the same mistake, I'd be happy.

A pretty sad user, Rivest.

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 23, 2010 13:22 |  #2

I doubt it will cost more than a new one. They run over a thousand right? A friend of mine dropped his 24-70, busted the front element and it was only 200 to fix. Good luck with it.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 13:25 |  #3

A front element is rather cheap from what I've been reading. By reading other post from people who had similar problem, Canon needs to replace the diaphragm. Repair cost is around 300$/350$. Someone in Australia even got quoted 650$.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hi, I'm David.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 23, 2010 13:26 |  #4

What's the date code on the lens?
Sounds to me like it's been happening to those who've either had it for a while or bought a used one.

Did you contact the seller? Can you try on another camera?

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 13:28 |  #5

Nick, date code is UV08. Seller hang up as soon as he recognize my voice.

Hi, I'm David.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 23, 2010 13:30 |  #6

Sorry to hear. I won't buy a lens from cl unless they're on POTN. good luck with your issue though and hope it doesn't cost too much to repair.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,493 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2010 13:34 |  #7

That sucks, hope they don't charge you to much.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 13:36 |  #8

Thanks a lot guys, I also hope.

Hi, I'm David.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 23, 2010 13:37 |  #9

Rivest wrote in post #11503647 (external link)

So a few years old then. Sucks that he hung up but that explains what happened...Hopefully they won't quote you more than a few hundred. You'll still end up with a nice L lens.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 13:40 |  #10

The thing is, I was getting it only to try it. If I liked it, I would have kept it. Otherwise I would have sold it back.

Hi, I'm David.

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 23, 2010 13:47 |  #11

i have NEVER shopped on CL because of the negativity and scams i hear about from that site.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 13:51 |  #12

I do buy/sell a lot from Craigslist and never had a problem. Until now.

Hi, I'm David.

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 23, 2010 13:59 |  #13

Sorry for what happen to you! I usually have great experience with craigslist but that's because I'm really carefully on every detail.Your red flag should be when you realise that he doesn;'t know nothing about photography...I mean how many of those ppl will invest in a L-lens..they'll probablly buy 18-55 or some consumer, but never an L.
First rule is that I never buy a lens/camera or whatever from a person that is not the original owner. I am interested only if they have invoice so I can see how old that lens is. Doing that you reduce a lot of the risk. At least you know that it was just one person dealing with that and he didn't bought it , discover a problem and try to get rid of it.
And other thing, ppl tend to lie a lot in their add, ask for proof on every statement seller makes.
Good luck with canon repair, hope they won't charge you too much.

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

Adam ­ Jones
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 23, 2010 14:07 |  #14

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :( That really sucks. I think some good advice to take from this for other CL shoppers is to try and do as extensive research on various item defects as possible before meeting to buy the item -- so you know exactly what to test for! -- and be extra wary when finding "deals"!

Anthony | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | www.purplecollarphoto.​com (external link)

BestVisuals
763 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 23, 2010 14:18 |  #15

Keep calling until he answers the phone. Call at night, early morning, 2:00am. Call from different phone numbers.

Rivest wrote in post #11503647 (external link)

Canon 5D MK II, 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

sponsored links

16,575 views & 0 likes for this thread
I bought a lemon from Craigslist :(
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.