Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will the 5D MK III have the 7D AF system?

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 18:00 |  #1

If the new 5D MK III has the 7D AF system (or better) will you sell and upgrade? I will have a hard time not upgrading to FF being a 7D owner, however I don't feel I have "outgrown" my 7D yet. How about you. Whatever happens, I hope it's not the same people who worked on the 50D "upgrade" The 60D. The 5D MK III will be a hard one to resist it seems. I know there are a lot of rumors floating around. Anything solid about "major" features. I can tell you it will NOT have an articulating LCD. Good or bad.....FF shooters don't want any part of them. Anything else like AF, VF, sensor specs.....

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
zooxanthellae
278 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 23, 2010 18:18 |  #2

I think this is going to be a hard one to gauge as if this were to happen it would cause all sorts of problems further up the range. Will the AF be improved? Yes i think so. Will it be as good as the 7D? I very much doubt it as it would loose Canon sales of 1D cameras, thats unless the 1Ds mark IV totally knocks our socks off when it comes along.

Would i buy a 5D Mk111 mainly due to a sports based AF system? I dont think i would as id have to look to invest in longer glass if i wanted to replace a 1D or 7D for sports. Thats not to say the 5D wouldnt benefit from a brush up of its AF system.

Just my opinion.

Canon 5D MK II,7d,70-200 L F2.8,24-70L,100mm Macro usm F2.8,sigma 150-500 OS,50mm 1.8 mk II,580 ex II. :D

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 18:47 |  #3

I recently shot with a 5D MK II for about 30 minutes. I tried the AF in Auto and manual point AF. It seemed FAR behind my 7Ds AF system. I used the same lens (24-105) in daylight conditions. The 5D was not as fast and it seemed to miss my target a few times. It needs work. It would be nice to see the 7D AF system, but you don't think it will get it huh? Something different or just a better "5D" system? I suppose the rumor sites would have this stuff but I wanted to ask it here. What are you 5D MK II users looking for in an AF update?

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 23, 2010 18:59 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

nate42nd wrote in post #11505046 (external link)
If the new 5D MK III has the 7D AF system (or better) will you sell and upgrade? I will have a hard time not upgrading to FF being a 7D owner, however I don't feel I have "outgrown" my 7D yet. How about you. Whatever happens, I hope it's not the same people who worked on the 50D "upgrade" The 60D. The 5D MK III will be a hard one to resist it seems. I know there are a lot of rumors floating around. Anything solid about "major" features. I can tell you it will NOT have an articulating LCD. Good or bad.....FF shooters don't want any part of them. Anything else like AF, VF, sensor specs.....

Speaking from someone who has no FF experience are you. Personally, I would love an articulating LCD to enable me to better shield the LCD in bright sun light.

Can you tell me what a 5DIII with 7D autofocus will allow you to do that the current 7D stops you from doing. I see so much lust for the next newest best camera around here that it really makes me wonder why? If you cannot take fantastic photos with a 7D...will the 5DIII really help? I know you will be out about $2000 after the exchange and will you still be lusting after the next 5DIV in a year or two?

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2010 19:04 |  #5

I have no idea what the 5D3 will include (if there is a 5D3).

It's a bit interesting to me that the 1Ds Mark II was launched two months after the 1D Mark II. And the 1Ds Mark III was launched two months after the 1D Mark III.

The 1D Mark IV has been out for a relative long time. I wonder if Canon is going to revamp their approach.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

zooxanthellae
278 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 23, 2010 19:05 |  #6

I would like all focus points to be cross points and more of them extending further out i.e not so bunched and incl the mf-n button from the 7d, a super sensitive spot center like the 7d, fps maybe up to 5, maybe a few more AF tracking sensitivity settings although i dont think a camera that lends itself to portrait/landscape needs a full compliment.

Im quite happy at 21 mp although even better noise handling would be super, id also like the on/off switch and video switches ported over from the 7d as i prefer the location and use.

This might sound a bit newbish but id like to see options for built in panorama and HDR if it was well implemented.

Ability for constant AF in video would be good too.

Canon 5D MK II,7d,70-200 L F2.8,24-70L,100mm Macro usm F2.8,sigma 150-500 OS,50mm 1.8 mk II,580 ex II. :D

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 23, 2010 19:07 |  #7

I think the 5D will get a similar AF system to the 7D (similar if not the same) and then the 1 series will get revamped up a notch as well.

If the 5D Mark 3 does get a better AF - I would most likely upgrade from the 7D. The majority of what I shoot is portraits & landscape (a lot of low light work too) - so FF would benefit me. The only reason that I haven't made that jump yet is because I love the 7D's AF system so much. I love taking photos of dog agility and my own dog running at full speed (and some sports) - so it is definitely nice to have the advanced AF.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 23, 2010 20:25 |  #8

I hope not. As much as I like my 5D Mk II if they put the 7D AF system in it I won't be able to stop myself from upgrading.

Jim

nepali
966 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 23, 2010 21:12 |  #9

Maybe there won't be a 5D3...instead Canon will release a 4D! :) ;)

[Current Gears: Fuji X-T3 | Fuji XF 23mm ƒ/1.4 | Fuji XF 56mm ƒ/1.2 | YN-560 III]
[Past Gears: 7D | Sigma 30 ƒ/1.4 | Canon 85 ƒ/1.8 | 430EX ]
[Feedbacks: #1, #2]

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 21:41 |  #10

Hogloff wrote in post #11505323 (external link)
Speaking from someone who has no FF experience are you. Personally, I would love an articulating LCD to enable me to better shield the LCD in bright sun light.

Can you tell me what a 5DIII with 7D autofocus will allow you to do that the current 7D stops you from doing. I see so much lust for the next newest best camera around here that it really makes me wonder why? If you cannot take fantastic photos with a 7D...will the 5DIII really help? I know you will be out about $2000 after the exchange and will you still be lusting after the next 5DIV in a year or two?

I admit I have not mastered the 7D and probably never will. I am learning every day. I am not even sure if I want to go FF. Just asking if anybody has any info on the spring-summer 5D MKIII. I know it's coming. A Canon rep told me it was coming in 2011. It should be interesting. it will be a nice camera if the 60D crew does not participate in it.

Also, I would like an articulating LCD also. I started a thread 60 days ago or so and most FF shooters were not happy about the idea. haha

I cannot wait to see what it's like. I will go FF sometime. It may be months or possibly years. My 7D is PLENTY for me right now. I love it. The FF sensor produces a better image in certain situations, including landscape. I shoot a lot of everything. I will never get tired of photography, so I think FF is the choice for me at some point. The new 5D may be the way forward. I have been doing some "pro" work lately and I think the 5D may help out a little.

IrishK
533 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 23, 2010 21:54 as a reply to  @ nate42nd's post |  #11

I think it's a logical progression that it will be better than the Mark II's, so it will be at least equal to or better than the 7D's.

That being the case, what of the EOS-1Ds Mark IV? If the MarK III boasts more MP, better high ISO handling and an improved AF system then where does the other much-fabled camera fit in?

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2010 22:01 |  #12

IrishK wrote in post #11506067 (external link)
I think it's a logical progression that it will be better than the Mark II's, so it will be at least equal to or better than the 7D's.

That being the case, what of the EOS-1Ds Mark IV?

The new 5D will shake things up.......unless they do something liek they did with the 60D......witch is scary. In that case 5D MK II might be a good deal used.

I think Canonm is out to make money. They will do whatever makes them the most money. I hope it's good for us users. They sure did the right thing with the 7D. That was to compete with the D300. Do they need to compete with whatever comes after the D700.

Luckily Canon has a good competitor. Nikon. They will try to stay on top of every market they can. Can't wait to see the new 5D. If anyone has any "inside info" please let us know.

arcticfox3
40 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 23, 2010 22:04 |  #13

The whole AF system doesn't really bothers me because I shoot landscape most of the time.

5D2 35L 24-70L

robonrome
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 23, 2010 22:08 |  #14

Hogloff wrote in post #11505323 (external link)

here here, sure some people don't want them, but I'm a FF shooter and after having bought the 60D as a backup I would love for the 5D 3 to have this feature.

For me I'd be happy for the 5D3 just to have the cross types on all 9 points.

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

Spaniard
424 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 23, 2010 23:30 |  #15

Same here...I tried my friend 5DM2 the other day. I missed so many shots when I wanted to take that kind of moments. I'm using a 7D now. AF is fast compared to 5DM2. Of course the IQ on 5DM2 is brilliant. That I can't deny it. I hope the new 5D will have the same AF sys like the 7D.

Derrick
Burn Money Project : Canon 5DMKII//24L MKII//50L//Speedlite 580 EXII.

sponsored links

12,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will the 5D MK III have the 7D AF system?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.