Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will the 5D MK III have the 7D AF system?

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 24, 2010 00:14 |  #16

I want a 1Ds IV without grip (or with option to grip or not to grip). I also tend to use all focus points on 7D (focus recompose or not) as the distribution of those points are nicely across the film. So, give me a 5D with 7D AF system is one step closer to what I want/need.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links
gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 24, 2010 00:56 |  #17

Look at the 5D's autofocus progression (i know not too many data points to make a trend line) but both 5D's had the same autofocus system while the other canon cameras continues to progress. I think if canon does upgrade to a better autofocus system on the 5D mkIII it will move slightly. it will be more like what you see in the 40d and 50D.... not a huge upgrade but still it gives you something... I would be very surprised if they put the 7D autofocus system in there. I know canon wants to one up Nikons stuff but it also doesnt want to tread too much on its own toes (the 1D series)

CitizenMinistry
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2010 15:35 as a reply to  @ gotaudi's post |  #18

I cannot wait for this camera. It will be a great 2011!

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 25, 2010 13:01 |  #19

gotaudi wrote in post #11506737 (external link)
Look at the 5D's autofocus progression (i know not too many data points to make a trend line) but both 5D's had the same autofocus system while the other canon cameras continues to progress. I think if canon does upgrade to a better autofocus system on the 5D mkIII it will move slightly. it will be more like what you see in the 40d and 50D.... not a huge upgrade but still it gives you something... I would be very surprised if they put the 7D autofocus system in there. I know canon wants to one up Nikons stuff but it also doesnt want to tread too much on its own toes (the 1D series)

I wouldn't say that every camera has progressed, at least not at each iteration. The 40D/50D/60D have basically the same AF system, and the 1D and 1D2/1D2n were the same. I know that they upgraded with the 20D over the 10D, and I'm not sure whether the 30D retained the 20D's scheme or was the first to have the 40D's scheme (they are different). Some of the older schemes have made their way to the Rebel series.

The 5D and 5D2 have shared essentially the same 15-point AF system (9 visible and 6 'expansion' points) for several years now, and it's drawing complaints from users due to the poor performance of the peripheral AF points. Additionally, competitors have superior systems and Canon's own lower-cost 7D has a system that is superior in most aspects. It would not be wise to fail to upgrade the 5D's AF in the Mk III version. People that have enough money to buy the 5-series are also people that have enough money to change systems, and both Nikon and Sony are waiting in the wings.

It has been my contention, with no basis in fact or inside knowledge, that Canon had intended to upgrade the AF system in the 5D Mk II, but halted that move due to the AF issues on the initial 1D3 bodies. My guess is that the new system, which was probably a lot like the 7D's system, was based on technology similar to that used on the 1D3 and that they didn't want to risk a faulty AF system on two high-dollar bodies. So, instead of upgrading and taking the risk, they maintained keeping the reliable, if somewhat dated system on the 5D2. Now that they've sorted out the 1D3's AF and have gotten things right with the 1D4 and 7D, they are free to upgrade in the next 5-series model.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 25, 2010 16:27 |  #20

If they do it I will buy one. Period. It's that or I'm going to have to get a 1Ds Mark III after they drop a bit. I really want higher IQ but I simply cannot give up my AF.

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

John ­ the ­ Geek
911 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 25, 2010 18:51 as a reply to  @ post 11506488 |  #21

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I actually expect we'll see a 5DIIn or something similar before we see a full mark III revision. The mark II is still selling so well, and if they bumped it's auto-focus to something like the 60D has, it would definitely tide people over until they can release a full rev with an articulating screen (like many of the higher end digital camcorders have, Panasonic's P200 comes to mind.)

Videographers will love the 5D III, photographers will hate it.

Canon Gear: 7D Gripped :: 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L :: 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II :: 28mm ƒ/1.8 :: 50mm ƒ/1.4 :: 85mm ƒ/1.8 :: 200mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 180mm ƒ/3.5L Macro :: Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II :: Speedlites 430EX II (x2) and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite
www.focalmagic.com (external link) (Under construction)

robonrome
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 25, 2010 22:56 |  #22

John the Geek wrote in post #11513702 (external link)
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I actually expect we'll see a 5DIIn or something similar before we see a full mark III revision. The mark II is still selling so well, and if they bumped it's auto-focus to something like the 60D has, it would definitely tide people over until they can release a full rev with an articulating screen (like many of the higher end digital camcorders have, Panasonic's P200 comes to mind.)

Videographers will love the 5D III, photographers will hate it.

I know there will be many photog's who don't want an articulating screen, but it's appeal is not limited to videographers... i do a lot of tripod bases landscape and artefact shots requiring heights from 2.5m to .2m above the ground... I can't tell you how much I love the articulating screen up high and down low on my 60D and wish it was on my 5D2 as well!.

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2010 18:10 |  #23

When is it coming out and what is the expected price?

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 26, 2010 19:48 |  #24

NothingRemains10 wrote in post #11518296 (external link)
When is it coming out and what is the expected price?

No one knows the answer to either one of those questions

Jason

JonSC
686 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2011 21:17 |  #25

Why do people always complain about missing shots with their 5Ds? My 5D's AF has been great and I've used a 1D IV and 7D before. It has never missed a shot, it just isn't as snappy.

5D II
| 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | Sigma 35 f/1.4A | 50 f/1.4 | 580 EX II | 1.4x T.C.

Full Gear List

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 02, 2011 22:06 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Tom W wrote in post #11512641 (external link)
It has been my contention, with no basis in fact or inside knowledge, that Canon had intended to upgrade the AF system in the 5D Mk II, but halted that move due to the AF issues on the initial 1D3 bodies. My guess is that the new system, which was probably a lot like the 7D's system, was based on technology similar to that used on the 1D3 and that they didn't want to risk a faulty AF system on two high-dollar bodies. So, instead of upgrading and taking the risk, they maintained keeping the reliable, if somewhat dated system on the 5D2. Now that they've sorted out the 1D3's AF and have gotten things right with the 1D4 and 7D, they are free to upgrade in the next 5-series model.

Yes, and Canon had to hurry out the 5DII with Nikons release of the D700. The autofocus system was in disarray after all the fiasco with the ID3 and Canon cound not wait until they perfected the new autofocus system ( 7D ) so they released the 5DII with the same focusing system as the 5D. Nikon played their cards and forced Canon into releasing the 5DII before they really wanted to.

tamko
416 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 03, 2011 21:17 |  #27

JonSC wrote in post #11561134 (external link)
Why do people always complain about missing shots with their 5Ds? My 5D's AF has been great and I've used a 1D IV and 7D before. It has never missed a shot, it just isn't as snappy.

agreed, I don't have much of a problem with miss shot with my 5d2. even I shoot with my 40d i'm still okay with it...I will miss some shooting sport, but other then that...it the same.

alan

My Equipment | Facebook Fan Page (external link) | POTN Feedback | eBay Feedback (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 04, 2011 01:19 |  #28

The 5D's autofocus is pretty terrible. Not sure how anyone can disagree unless you photograph using Manual Focus.

That said, so is the 1D Mark III.

Maybe I'm just not using them right. You'd think aiming and photographing would be enough, but apparently not :(

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2011 05:43 |  #29

smorter wrote in post #11569387 (external link)
The 5D's autofocus is pretty terrible. Not sure how anyone can disagree unless you photograph using Manual Focus.

That said, so is the 1D Mark III.

Maybe I'm just not using them right. You'd think aiming and photographing would be enough, but apparently not :(

Watch out! If you keep up that talkno e of the other 5d mII owners will talk to you anymore. :-)

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 04, 2011 05:54 |  #30

The 5DII has mother-loving horrible AF. I mother-loving love the IQ though. I couldn't wait for the 5DIII or whatever. It would be mother-loving nice if they put some swankier AF in it.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links

12,883 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will the 5D MK III have the 7D AF system?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.