Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will the 5D MK III have the 7D AF system?

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 04, 2011 10:05 |  #31

If it is not having the same autofocus or better than 7D, it will be a big disapointment.

I would be very supriced if they are not having the same autofocus quality. What do canon want? More costumers that buy 7D or more costumers that buy 5D. They definently want to sell the more expensive one.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2011 10:14 |  #32

kent andersen wrote in post #11570959 (external link)
If it is not having the same autofocus or better than 7D, it will be a big disapointment.

I would be very supriced if they are not having the same autofocus quality. What do canon want? More costumers that buy 7D or more costumers that buy 5D. They definently want to sell the more expensive one.

I would not be surprise at all, Canon 7d is a sport camera and you pay $500 extra for that AF comparing with 60d, 5d mark II is a portrait/landscape camera. Canon 5d mark II has a much better AF then 7d, like 45-point TTL CMOS sensor,19 cross-type but it's called Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and it costs $6K.

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 04, 2011 10:57 |  #33

I don't see why there has to remain a distinction between sports and studio/landscape usage of a camera. These concepts are vastly outdated and based on earlier technological limitations.
Simply put, a FF body with a high FPS (10fps or more), good dynamic range (like the pentax K-5) and 30 megapixels don't rule eachother out. The AF system is completely separate from this as well - there's not really a link between the AF system and the frame rate - though the former supports the possibility of the latter I suppose (high fps tracking).

I don't get why we - as consumers - keep accepting the camera manufacturers to sell us this market positioning of distinct bodies. I guess it'll only be a matter of time until another manufacturer forces canon and nikon to make the one body to rule them all.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2011 12:23 |  #34

TweakMDS wrote in post #11571264 (external link)
I don't get why we - as consumers - keep accepting the camera manufacturers to sell us this market positioning of distinct bodies. I guess it'll only be a matter of time until another manufacturer forces canon and nikon to make the one body to rule them all.

It's very simple, because of the cost. Because they want to make some affordable ones. I terms of sports, crop factor is much better choice right, because of the focal you gain. It would need more expensive lenses to reach that with a ff. So why would anyone spend more when they can have the same results with a 1d markIV for example
They keep them like that because everyone expectation from a camera is different. I wouldn't want to spend $6k for a camera that does at all since I only do portraits and landscape. I would prefer not the have the sports features and pay $3.000 less.
It's like you're asking: why do those car makers make so many models? Why don't they make one model to "rule them all"?!

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

1move
330 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2011 13:27 |  #35

I would like to see an upgrade to the AF-system and a 100% viewfinder.
Also the mode dial upgrade lock-out button implimented.
Rumors are in the 28MP range, if those are true then I am sold on it :)

Canon 5D mkIII II 24-70mm f2.8L v. II II 85mm f1.2L vII II 50mm f1.4 II 100mm Macro IS f2.8L II 2 x 580 EXII

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 04, 2011 13:43 |  #36

One thing that will be interesting to see if whether or not Canon decides to add some sort of flash controlling scheme to the 5D3. I don't think it would be a deal-breaker considering all the other flash systems out there, but It would be a nice feature. The 7D has it.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 04, 2011 14:00 |  #37

Acute Exposure wrote in post #11513242 (external link)
If they do it I will buy one. Period. It's that or I'm going to have to get a 1Ds Mark III after they drop a bit. I really want higher IQ but I simply cannot give up my AF.

And this is why Canon marketing puts out the camera's they do. They know that if the 5D had a 7D AF system it would cannibalize the 1D line.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 04, 2011 14:22 |  #38

davidfig wrote in post #11572364 (external link)
They know that if the 5D had a 7D AF system it would cannibalize the 1D line.

Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten that the D700 is also capable of "cannibalizing" the 1D line. The difference is that Canon makes money when the 5D series sells - they don't make money when people buy Nikon instead.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

1move
330 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2011 15:31 |  #39

I would defenetly not buy if it had an articulating screen.

Canon has some things up their sleve as of yet, so we should just be patient and see :)

Canon 5D mkIII II 24-70mm f2.8L v. II II 85mm f1.2L vII II 50mm f1.4 II 100mm Macro IS f2.8L II 2 x 580 EXII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 04, 2011 15:39 |  #40

Tom W wrote in post #11572497 (external link)
Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten that the D700 is also capable of "cannibalizing" the 1D line. The difference is that Canon makes money when the 5D series sells - they don't make money when people buy Nikon instead.

+1

If indeed the reason Canon don't put pro AF into the 5 series is because they are worried about cannibalizing the 1D series, then whoever makes those decisions need to be sacked. Nikon are probably laughing as all it means is that people will just buy a D700 or something instead. What's the point of trying to protect your own products when people will just go to a competitor instead? I doubt (and hope) Canon is that silly.

There is no longer any reason why the 5 series doesn't have pro series AF, and I have no doubt the 5D3 will get the much needed AF update.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 04, 2011 15:42 |  #41

1move wrote in post #11572973 (external link)
I would defenetly not buy if it had an articulating screen.

Canon has some things up their sleve as of yet, so we should just be patient and see :)

Why would an articulating screen be a dealbreaker? If you really dislike it for some reason, why not just leave it in place and seal it with some gaffer tape or something?

Surely having a feature with the option of using it when needed is better than no feature at all? Especially when judging by the 60D it does not add anything to the cost of the camera?

Besides articulating screens will be a boon to professional photographers who need to get the shot, as well as marco, architecture and landscape photographers, so it will likely increase the resale value of the camera should you decide that no, you simply cannot live with the fact that it has an articulating screen :rolleyes:

Win all around...

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2011 15:46 |  #42

And this is why Canon marketing puts out the camera's they do. They know that if the 5D had a 7D AF system it would cannibalize the 1D line.

i dont believe that to be the case. as it is, they sell way more 5d cameras than 1 series. if anything, they could seriously boost revenue by improving the next 5d's AF. photographers currently shooting a 1 series body will most likely continue to do so for more reasons than just AF. in fact i am a good example of this topic...i have considered upgrading to a 1d mark iv, but have not done so because of the price. it would be a compromise camera for me anyway, thus not justifying the cost. that = lost revenue on me as a consumer. however, if the new 5d is released with something like the 7d or even older 1 series AF i might just buy two. that would = gained revenue from me as a consumer. if i had the disposable income at the moment i would have made the move to the mark iv, just because i dont care much for the 5dII (i know i will get flamed by many for that). but for now i continue to make money with my current 12.8 megapixel 5d and 8.2 megapixel 1d mark ii.

the fact is, the image quality is still amazing out of the old 5d. sure the high iso capabilities of the mark ii are quite good, and the video is intriguing, but the old AF and the low iso banding issues have prevented me from upgrading. i prefer the "look" of the images out of the old camera.

heres what i would really like to see in a mark iii:

• current mark ii resolution or lower with improved noise handling and eliminate the banding issues
  • 7d or better af
  • 100% vf
  • shorter shutter lag! (this has to be one of my biggest pet peves in the current 5d cameras)
  • more durable build with optional integrated style battery grip, like that of the old 1v film bodies (dont like the wart-looking, loose fitting battery grips, although use it because there is no other option)
  • not too concerned with fps. i have my 1dii to fulfill that requirement
  • (this is reaching)...a totally revamped RF wireless ettl ii flash communication system...to put to rest the old IR communication and eliminate the need for third party devices like radio popper
  • increased dynamic range
  • 63-segment metering
im sure theres more but those are highest on my wish list.

Shawn l Gear
Mamarazzi Photography (external link)
Wife owns the biz...I just shoot the weddings!

lhughey
650 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 04, 2011 15:53 |  #43

darosk wrote in post #11570014 (external link)
The 5DII has mother-loving horrible AF. I mother-loving love the IQ though. I couldn't wait for the 5DIII or whatever. It would be mother-loving nice if they put some swankier AF in it.

bw!

flickr: link (external link)

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2011 15:58 |  #44

I doubt this is the case. Most of the used 1ds bodies I have seen for sale used are listed as going to Nikon. Thus I am buying a used camera where Canon makes nothing and the old user is putting money in Nikon's pocket.

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2011 15:59 |  #45

Wireless flash control would be awesome as we but now we might be asking for too much :-)

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

sponsored links

12,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will the 5D MK III have the 7D AF system?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.