davidfig wrote in post #11572364
And this is why Canon marketing puts out the camera's they do. They know that if the 5D had a 7D AF system it would cannibalize the 1D line.
i dont believe that to be the case. as it is, they sell way more 5d cameras than 1 series. if anything, they could seriously boost revenue by improving the next 5d's AF. photographers currently shooting a 1 series body will most likely continue to do so for more reasons than just AF. in fact i am a good example of this topic...i have considered upgrading to a 1d mark iv, but have not done so because of the price. it would be a compromise camera for me anyway, thus not justifying the cost. that = lost revenue on me as a consumer. however, if the new 5d is released with something like the 7d or even older 1 series AF i might just buy two. that would = gained revenue from me as a consumer. if i had the disposable income at the moment i would have made the move to the mark iv, just because i dont care much for the 5dII (i know i will get flamed by many for that). but for now i continue to make money with my current 12.8 megapixel 5d and 8.2 megapixel 1d mark ii.
the fact is, the image quality is still amazing out of the old 5d. sure the high iso capabilities of the mark ii are quite good, and the video is intriguing, but the old AF and the low iso banding issues have prevented me from upgrading. i prefer the "look" of the images out of the old camera.
heres what i would really like to see in a mark iii:
- current mark ii resolution or lower with improved noise handling and eliminate the banding issues
- 7d or better af
- 100% vf
- shorter shutter lag! (this has to be one of my biggest pet peves in the current 5d cameras)
- more durable build with optional integrated style battery grip, like that of the old 1v film bodies (dont like the wart-looking, loose fitting battery grips, although use it because there is no other option)
- not too concerned with fps. i have my 1dii to fulfill that requirement
- (this is reaching)...a totally revamped RF wireless ettl ii flash communication system...to put to rest the old IR communication and eliminate the need for third party devices like radio popper
- increased dynamic range
- 63-segment metering
im sure theres more but those are highest on my wish list.