Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 29 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Large Capcity internal laptop/notebook hard drive

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 29, 2010 14:29 |  #1

(1) Western Digital 500GB WD5000BPVT, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache for $43.44 + free shipping (with amazon prime) at amazon. This works out to $0.08688/GB
Click here to purchase. (external link)

This drive is the Advanced Format technology increases media format efficiency. This is better for newer machines (Windows XP requires a software from Western Digital)

I have been searching for hard drives ALL morning, and I made a nifty little spreadsheet of Price per GB, and this is one of the best deals out there, with large capacity. click here (external link)

(2) Next best deal is Western Digital Scropio Blue WD6400BEVT SATA drive 640GB, 2.5" 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, with 3 year warranty for $49.00 + tax + shipping at Western Digital Loyalty Program. Click here. (external link)

You will need a old western digital hard drive serial number for this to work. You need the serial number to put in to get the deal. This will void the old drive warranty.

For me, in Virginia, total was $58.45. This works out to $0.091328/GB

I did not do 1TB drives, because these drives are 12.5mm thick versus the standard 9.5mm thick, so they can not work in my laptop. Some newer laptops might have space for the new thicker drives. The 1TB drives have 3 platters, versus 2 platters of the standard drives.

If you look on the spreadsheet, you can see where to buy the cheapest 750GB drives as well. It has a lot of information, so if you are looking for a drive, this should guide you on everything you need to know.

POWERED eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure
I am using this hard drive with a "powered eSATA" port on my laptop, so that I can do my Lightroom editing from this hard drive. I did a lot of research before finalizing on this enclosure. 2.5" USB 2.0/eSATA Aluminum External SATA HDD Enclosure (Black) Power over eSATA! (external link). This allows me to plug in the hard drive without needing external power. My laptop has a combo USB/eSATA port. Normal eSATA does not supply power to the hard drive, so you would need external power. I wanted portability, so I did not want to have to supply external power to the portable external hard drive. You would NEED to verify that you have a combo eSATA+usb port, or else this will not work. I am really happy with this solution. Now, I wait for delivery of these :)

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

FindUrPath
209 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 29, 2010 14:46 |  #2

Nice spread sheet there! I didn't see that you had checked out the Seagate's Hybrid SSD drives. They have a Momentus XT SSD, 500 gb for $120 and way faster than a 5200rpm drive.

Seagate Momentus XT (external link)

Gear and Feedback
Loving Yellowstone and the Big Sky country...

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2010 15:12 |  #3

Hybrid Drives have some major pittfalls so it's a good idea to weigh the pro's and con's overall.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Hybrid_drive (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

312 views & 0 likes for this thread
Large Capcity internal laptop/notebook hard drive
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.