Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Dec 2010 (Friday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Savage background stand DIY upgrade

Tony_A
777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 12:59 |  #1

OK, I like the Savage background stand. I aquired it in a purchase of some studio gear where I really just wanted the lights and modifiers. The crossbar works great with 4' paper, but I thought it was a little light for 9' paper. A quick trip to Home Depot's fence dept. yielded a length of 1 1/4 fence pipe and two caps like this for around $12:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

end cap (external link) by Tony_A1 (external link), on Flickr

It was pretty easy to cut the pipe and install the end caps thus making a "solid" cross bar. I liked this so much, I wanted to get small (6") extensions to go on top of the background stand posts so I could add a 2nd or 3rd color of paper ( I know, I should have just gotten a stand setup meant for multi rolls, but once I get started on a DIY project it takes on a life of its own LOL). I had no luck finding 6" extensions sold seperately, so a call to a friend who owns a machine shop yielded 4 of these:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

extension (external link) by Tony_A1 (external link), on Flickr

2 more solid crossbars from Home Depot & here is what it looks like with 3 bars on the stands:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

in use (external link) by Tony_A1 (external link), on Flickr

Black will be in the middle and white on the top since that is what I use most and would be the most frequent one to get changed although the change just takes a minute and is pretty easy...

www.AnthonyAgresta.com (external link)
Please 'like' my Facebook Page (external link)
7d Gripped | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | EF 24-70 f/2.8L | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | EF 100 f2.8L Macro | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 1.4X II | EF 2.0X II | 580ex II

sponsored links
Stuart ­ Leslie
611 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 31, 2010 16:04 |  #2

Nice!
I upgraded my savage stand as well. Got one of these three roll adapters from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …cessory_Bracket​s_for.html (external link)

Then just drilled two holes in three pieces of metal electrical conduit from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.c​om …eId=10051&catal​ogId=10053 (external link)
Works pretty well too, just don't forget the sandbags on the stands though!

Gear: Canon 5D III, 5D and 7D | 300 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 85 f/1.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 [COLOR=navy]| 24-105 f/4L | 10-22 | Zeiss 35 f/2 | TS-E 24II | Alienbees
SmugMug Gallery (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 31, 2010 16:31 |  #3

This looks like at least a "semi-permanent" install. Why not suspend from that exposed ceiling and rid yourself of all that clutter of the uprights? In addition, without those upright you will not have an issue of someone possibly knocking them over.

You will be transcending the needs for sandbags.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Tony_A
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 16:35 |  #4

Stuart Leslie wrote in post #11548820 (external link)
Nice!
I upgraded my savage stand as well. Got one of these three roll adapters from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …cessory_Bracket​s_for.html (external link)

Then just drilled two holes in three pieces of metal electrical conduit from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.c​om …eId=10051&catal​ogId=10053 (external link)
Works pretty well too, just don't forget the sandbags on the stands though!

I like it! The solid crossbar is definately better isn't it. And yes The reason the 2nd & 3rd rolls aren't on the crossbars yet is because I haven't put on the sand bags yet!

7d Gripped | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | EF 24-70 f/2.8L | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | EF 100 f2.8L Macro | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 1.4X II | EF 2.0X II | 580ex II

Tony_A
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 16:40 |  #5

FlashZebra wrote in post #11548926 (external link)
This looks like at least a "semi-permanent" install. Why not suspend from that exposed ceiling and rid yourself of all that clutter of the uprights? In addition, without those upright you will not have an issue of someone possibly knocking them over.

You will be transcending the needs for sandbags.

Enjoy! Lon

It is probably more like a "permannet" installation Lon. But the ceilings are like another 8' above the top of the rolls(where I photographed it isn't where it's being used). I have to give some thought on how I am going to attach to it as well as how I am going to get the big ladder up to my second floor studio and get some help for a couple of hours to do it. But I think eventually I will do it that way.

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 31, 2010 18:16 |  #6

Tony_A wrote in post #11548964 (external link)
It is probably more like a "permannet" installation Lon. But the ceilings are like another 8' above the top of the rolls(where I photographed it isn't where it's being used). I have to give some thought on how I am going to attach to it as well as how I am going to get the big ladder up to my second floor studio and get some help for a couple of hours to do it. But I think eventually I will do it that way.

Those portable background stands are keen when used for ad hoc studio type work, but they are very limiting and even unnecessarily dangerous for a fixed studio situational.

Remember, you have a machinist as a friend. You are a lucky human.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2010 19:46 |  #7

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon here....and I appreciate a good DIY project as much as the next guy.....but I hope those stands are made from steel and not thin walled aluminum tubing.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links

2,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Savage background stand DIY upgrade
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.